SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not to experienced in working in the engine and i thought that maybe someone knew how or what it will take to replace a valve. I own a 2004.5 2.4i volvo s40. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated. when driving you can hear the valve "ticking" or "rapping":mad:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm not sure how serious your issue is but don't over react either. It is perfectly normal to hear the valve close and open as the engine runs when you listen to it closely...
I'm no expert at all but I would think it would be quite a technical job to do replace the valve. Hopefully someone else more experienced than I (maybe who has done cam upgrades) can help you here . . .

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Well, it's kind of hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet but a "ticking" valve is most likely just the lifter. Way cheaper than a valve job, it can be replaced with the head still in the car. These typically get loud when gunked up with sludge although it's possible to get a bad one. Have you been changing the oil regularly? Use a quality synthetic?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yep, a "ticking" noise is most likely a sticky lifter. Means you haven't been changing your oil frequently enough. A "BAD" valve would cause a miss or a puffing sound out the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, it's kind of hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet but a "ticking" valve is most likely just the hydraulic lifter. Way cheaper than a valve job, it can be replaced with the head still in the car. These typically get loud when gunked up with sludge although it's possible to get a bad one. Have you been changing the oil regularly? Use a quality synthetic?
Shame is though, that neither the T5 nor the 2.4l have hydraulic lifters. The only P1 engines with those are the diesels. At least here in Europe. I don't think the US gets differently constructed engines...

@ VolvoLoveLife41

What do you mean by valve? Injection valve? Valve via camshaft? Maybe something different and it is only a stone in the tire?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, a "ticking" noise is most likely a sticky lifter. Means you haven't been changing your oil frequently enough. A "BAD" valve would cause a miss or a puffing sound out the exhaust.
Yup, unfortunatly the owner has not been doing regular oil changes, I had to get it done myself and was told the car was running on sludge...BAD. there is no puff or miss so if it does have a lifter in it, then id be saving money by not replacing a valve

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Can you describe the symptoms a bit more? Does the noise increase (get louder) with engine rpm, for instance? When you say 'rapping' does that mean it goes beyond ticking and starts to sound really loud, like a hammering sound?

The injectors in these cars are not quiet, by the way - at idle with the hood open they do sound like noisy valves, unless you listen carefully. Just a thought, if the noise isn't one of the above.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Try using AutoRx to treat for sludge. The Audi A4s were notorious for sludge and people swore by this stuff to clean it out!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Yup, unfortunately the owner has not been doing regular oil changes, I had to get it done myself and was told the car was running on sludge...BAD. there is no puff or miss so if it does have a lifter in it, then id be saving money by not replacing a valve
There you go. Just bump up your change interval & use a synthetic. Try the Mobil High Mileage for the first couple. In my experience you have about a 50/50 chance of getting the lifter to quiet down again.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I stand corrected. Worked on too many Audis I guess. :facepalm:

This could be good news for you. Far more likely that your tappet :) will free up than a hydraulic lifter. Or it's bad, the sludge has totally gunked that area & your cam & tappet are grinding to a pulp. Time will tell.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you describe the symptoms a bit more? Does the noise increase (get louder) with engine rpm, for instance? When you say 'rapping' does that mean it goes beyond ticking and starts to sound really loud, like a hammering sound?

The injectors in these cars are not quiet, by the way - at idle with the hood open they do sound like noisy valves, unless you listen carefully. Just a thought, if the noise isn't one of the above.
The noise will increase at high rpms until it shifts into next gear. From what everyone seems to be telling me, it seems to be due to sludge in the lifter/tappets, The car has 213k+ miles and the mechanic said it was alllll sludge. It did quiet down after the super high mileage oil. So any suggestions? Should i replace it or keep doing regular high mileage oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Nevermind the high mileage oil, that's not what you need, which is to flush it thoroughly. An old-fashioned trick is to put in half oil and half diesel fuel, run it at low rpm until it warms up throughly, then drain. Personally, I'd be tempted to try it, then refill with standard viscosity conventional oil, and change it every 1000 miles for a couple of times.

Patience, patience.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You should consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning out the sludge from the sum pump and anything else down there that you can reach! Then take off the valve cover and clean that out too. Run some oil for about 100 miles with some seafoam, then drain it and refill with recommended oil. If the oil was neglected, make sure you check your brake, power steering fluid and your coolant

·
Registered
484 Posts
You should consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning out the sludge from the sum pump and anything else down there that you can reach! Then take off the valve cover and clean that out too. Run some oil for about 100 miles with some seafoam, then drain it and refill with recommended oil. If the oil was neglected, make sure you check your brake, power steering fluid and your coolant
I don't think you can remove the valve cover without special tools. Im pretty sure that our valve cover holds the cams in place.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'd also look into setting the valves! These do mechanically set themselves, but they have a limit. At 213k miles the valve settings should be checked!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everybody! I will try some methods out, ill have the valves checked and maybe the lifters do need an adjustment? I had the engine flushed 100 miles ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts