SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is irrelevant, VIDA lets you add and/or delete keys with the “add key” software. So you can delete the keys your car has been programmed for. Either the ones you possess and/or the ones you DON’T possess. It is not that you have up to 6 times to add keys in the vehicle lifetime. Is that your car can have up to 6 different working keys programmed.

Now, be aware if you delete a key, and then you want to add it back to the car you will need the codes that come with that key.

This is the plastic container with the codes:
Hi, I'm new and I just joined the forum specifically to figure out what I can do to solve my current Volvo key situation. It's a 2004 XC90.

My deal is that I tried to "fix" the switchblade by transferring over the old immobilizer transponder into a new key shell, and broke the bloody thing in the process. Yeah, I'm a dummy... anyways.

I've been studying this thread trying to figure out if buying this DiCE unit will allow me to program a new key without having any other functioning keys. Also, in the picture above, is this "Seed" code on the packaging required to program the immobilizer key, or is that for the remote portion of the key fob? I'm a little hazy on that.

From what I can tell, these keys use an off-the-shelf "Megamos ID48 T6" Crypto Transponder. An off-the-shelf part which, incidentally, is the exact same chip that about 10 years ago I managed to program to a 2001 Volkswagen with only a $60 Ebay cable.

So I guess my big question is, assuming I pull the trigger on a "Dice" unit and software subscription / purchase costs, will I also need a code to program the immobilizer? I have a fully functioning remote half of the key and don't need that.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
For our model range (P2), a new key cannot be user programmed, it's a software load. Nearly everything on this car is an interconnected module and within the modules are software functions. Volvo treats all the variant functions as licensed software so if you need things changed to any large degree, it’s a software load that has an item part number and more often than not a unit cost. There’s a list somewhere around, one example here- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?93370-Info-on-various-XC90-software-upgrades

For the record, took me 8 years (2009-2017) before I had a second key made (key got "lost", but we don't talk about that anymore) and it was only to accommodate a "new" daily driver. The whole software purchase thing is particularly frustrating to me, but it is what it is with Volvo and was that way when I bought my first XC90 in 2005.

If you decide to go to a dealer, call around and see if someone can do this on the spot (I bought and cut a key to discover my local dealer cut on site, I saved maybe $20 overall). See if they offer any price breaks for the key (retail is $40, reseller price $25) or labor or if maybe they'll do a break on labor for two keys. If you’re in a geographic area that has more than one dealer, prices can and do vary (they did for me).

Last but not least, if you end up taking your car to a dealer, request that all the module software be checked and upgraded while the car is plugged in, it’s supposed to be included “free” as part of Service 2.0 and since you're already there, it's relatively easy to do. Nothing significant changes, but if this 2004 has not been upgraded you’ll have around 3-4 modules that can take advantage of some improvements to functional performance.

Good luck in resolving your issue and sorry you got buried in the pile...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
There are no codes for keys, just remotes. So if you have VIDA and a DiCE and a 3 day subscription to allow software, you can program a key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts