SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok- so things happen for a reason. We were just about to head out of town to Lancaster, PA for a wedding and drive my wife's xc70. I walked around the front of it to get my sunglasses out of my s60 and noticed a fair amount of liquid in the pavement when she backed into her space. I looked up under it and saw oil from the lower control arm by passenger side and Pcv? So, I opened up the hood and see oil sprayed all over items in that side. I checked oil dipstick and it's bone dry. Mother Of Pearl... Last thing I would've needed was whole family on the highway and a burned up engine with no way to make it to the wedding. Luckily it looks like it happened in the alley after her very short shopping trip.
So- what am I looking at here? Blown seal? Gasket? I need the local Indy to do a timing belt etc anyway but before I get it to him what should I check to know what I face?!? What is cost associated with this and how long and invasive is this going to be? She's pretty cognizant and did not say car acted oddly or that she noticed anything out of the ordinary. I'll probably have it towed to ensure no further issues arise before he sees it. Sucks. Just plain sucks.... Send a little luck my way, all.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That does plain suck. I'm sorry and I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Has the PCV system been changed? Do a glove test and see if it's clogged. A clogged PCV causes excess pressure in the crankcase, which blows out seals

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yup most likely a blown oil seal. On that side of the engine it could be the front intake cam seal, exhaust cam seal, or crank seal. I would replace the PCV system, all oil seals, and timing belt.

Remove the timing belt cover if you want to know which seal let go.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the car got towed the 2 miles to the Indy. Had to use the pin so it wasn't run. I added a quart to it when I left it there and it stayed so it's for sure a seal and not anything down low like a pan that was damaged. I left another on the driver seat so the Indy could use it for a minute or less if he needed to move, which he will. Send well wishes and I'll update you guys in the morning after he calls me to give his take. I know this won't be cheap but hoping there is some silver lining and the engine didn't sustain any damage. That and I'll finally take care of the two things I WANTED to get done, albeit a lot sooner than I wanted to: breather and timing belt.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK- update is the indy is waiting for the parts guy to call him. Timing Belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine, PCV box, seal, etc. He pulled it apart and plugged it to see if the engine was OK after running for a few seconds. Pricing is in the 1400 to 1500 range, maybe a little more. I told him if he needs to wait a few days to get the parts, that's OK. Cheaper than a replacement car, and then I know the ride will be good for another 100K. I'm in. This car cost us very little a year ago, and is super clean. The dealer that sold it to us did all new suspension work, brakes, tires. It has zero rattles, rides true and shifts well. Solid, sure-footed car.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Timing Belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine, PCV box, seal, etc. He pulled it apart and plugged it to see if the engine was OK after running for a few seconds. Pricing is in the 1400 to 1500 range, maybe a little more.
Not a bad price, would save quite a bit of $$$ if you were to DIY.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Antherzol- I'd like to but don't have the tools, enough confidence or the time. If I lived in Canada near you, I could feel like at least I would have a reflector to help walk me through some of this. The Indy has tools and things I've never seen before and does things magically. Brain box tool to remove the ecms in seconds. Some specialty other things that he grabbed from a Washington DC dealer that threw them away when they closed and a competitor took over. So, yes- the price will have to do. If I have any time in the coming decade I will be building something. Just something not quite as complicated. All the electronic stuff and plastics freak me out. I watched my dad work on stuff in the 60s and 70s.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indy spent nine hours. xc70 was finished yesterday; picked it up this morning. Timing belt, tensioner pulley, water pump, serpentine belt, new Volvo breather system, hoses and clamps (& obviously an oil and filter change). He cleaned it all up, and ran it to make sure. Total bill $1,300. It was the cam seal (circular, about size of your palm), which had popped out. While not good on my schedule (didn't really have the money to do this), I'm glad it all got done at the same time. The car is 14 years old essentially this next month, and has 97K on it - I was planning on breather and timing belt, etc. over the winter. Back to normal!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That's a pretty great price by northeastern standards. Glad you're back on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts