SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 02 S60 2.4T AWD has about 107k miles and is overdue for the 105k service :D (Dealership wants $1500), so i'm having one of my locally available mechanic change the timing belt and water pump, tensioner and pulley changed. Getting the parts from FCPEuro.

Here is the problem:

Yesterday, the when i cranked the car, it was running normal and after few minutes, when i shifted to Drive, i felt the car shaking. I definitely could feel the exhaust making louder bumping noise. I drove couple more feet and it shook heavier, then the Check Engine light came of Steady. After few seconds, the Check Engine light starts flashing, but I don't get any warning messages in the dashboard. Since the Check Engine Light was flashing, i figured i had to stop driving and check. All i could figure out was the exhaust pipe making a weird Boom Boom Boom kinda stop and go noise.

All i can guess that could be the problem is:

1. Time to change Spark Plugs
2. Something got busted/broken in the exhaust line (I recently did the resonator delete with 3" straight pipe)

3. Timing belt ?

Help me out please!!

Here is a clip of how my exhaust used to sound before yesterday:

a video of how it sounds currently.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i figured i had to stop driving and check. All i could figure out was the exhaust pipe making a weird Boom Boom Boom kinda stop and go noise.
Oh yes , and there is strong gas burning smell coming out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
sounds like time to have the check engine light checked and see what it says. My guess from the way you described things there is a serious vacuume leak or a dead cylinder(dead coil or fouled plug). If you haven't done plugs on the car and aren't the original owner my bet they wern't done, ever, and at 108K pretty nasty looking....coils area a common failure point also, I've been through 2 in 118K. I keep a spare on the shelf just for such an emergency.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have a misfire. Check your spark plugs and think about changing your coil packs.
That is what i thought. Apart from spark plugs, do you have any idea how much would changing the coil packs cost? Running on tight budget 😔

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mechanic just read the code and it was the Spark Plugs Misfiring. Just a little tune up. He said everything looks good. Phew!

·
Registered
313 Posts
if it turns out to be the coil packs (as mechanics are often wrong) they are simple and not expensive to fix what so ever. just replaced mine last week....my car was doing the exact same thing.

·
Banned
182 Posts
My mechanic just read the code and it was the Spark Plugs Misfiring. Just a little tune up. He said everything looks good. Phew!

Good deal. The ignition parts to repair the misfire on 99 + run between 55-70 $ per cylinder at most auto stores. Id just get the correct bosch unit and your done. I'd Keep a spare coil pack in the car just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts