SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of little problems and one big one. Break lights intermittently don't work (Check Break Lights warning). I have been told it is a relay ($9 part but I don't know the part number) Intermittent warning "Bulb Failure Position Light" no lights are out...and the BIG ONE will not start, nothing, not even a click...If I turn the key enough sometimes I will get the Immobilizer warning. In the recent past I have just let it sit for a bit turned the key and would start again. I have let it sit for two days and it still doesn't start. Lights work, radio, its a brand new battery, which tests fully charged. I have had this back to the dealer and they haven't found anything wrong other that the relay for the lights. Any insights?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Help! My 2001 S80T is haunted (VitoS80)

Check the connections to the battery for cleanliness and tightness. Also check the grounds in the engine compartment.

"Bulb Failure Position Light" is often a bad socket for the bulbs. You can try moving the bulbs a little in the sockets to get a better connection. Also, you can try new bulbs. Sometimes the solder (which is connection on the end of the bulb) will flatten out and/or corrode, causing a bad connection. If it persists, you may have to replace the socket assembly.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
A small amount of dielectric grease applied to the bulb's terminals can stave off oxidation that results in a bulb failure message.

That said, if one's getting a bulb failure message yet all bulbs DO work then there's likely an issue with the car's electronics...namely either with the central or rear electronic modules (CEM and REM, respectively). The CEM is located up under the driver's side of the dash (don't confuse with the fuseblock on the driver's side of the dash that is accessed with the driver's door open) and the REM is located over on the driver's side of the trunk hidden behind the carpet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.