SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay driving today, filled up with 93. Figured I'd treat the R with some octane booster (in a full tank). Started driving maybe 2 minutes in: I get on it and lose all power. Pull off the road. Turn it off try to start it, it starts runs for a second and dies. Still no codes. Try it again, give it some revs, try to hold them steady, dies again. Pop the hood, do a quick ECM reset (maybe more octane freaked it out?) Restart and dies again. Pull my MAF plug- car runs and stays running. No boost (~2psi, hoping because there isn't a MAF?). Now I have service engine light, because there isn't any signal coming back from MAF.

Limped home, cleaned MAF hoping that was the case. Same situation. Any ideas before I buy ANOTHER MAF? This one is maybe 1 year old.

Note: installed FMIC almost 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine, but the car kinda felt sluggish. I know I need a tune with FMIC, and DP.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The symptoms seems to point to the Fuel Pressure Sensor (FPS).
Do a read of the DTC codes as it should give a FPS indication if it is the case rather than MAF.

If DTC does not point to MAF, it will reveal the possible fault since there is a visible message indication.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The symptoms seems to point to the Fuel Pressure Sensor (FPS).
Do a read of the DTC codes as it should give a FPS indication if it is the case rather than MAF.

If DTC does not point to MAF, it will reveal the possible fault since there is a visible message indication.

Where would I get a DTC code reader? I may have to take a trip down to Volvo and have them scan it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Did you make sure your charge air pipe is connected correctly at both ends?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you make sure your charge air pipe is connected correctly at both ends?
Yes I think so, I need a new clamp on the back but it's been like that for months and it's still tight. Just really weird that it would run without the MAF plugged in, but stall with it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My guess is that your MAF is fine and you have a major vacuum leak somewhere that is letting in unmetered air. I would start by tracing the intake piping from the turbo to the throttle body, paying particular attention to the clamp at the throttle body, because a lot of people have had that pop off when they haven't clamped it firmly enough.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Yeah sounds more like a vac

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is that your MAF is fine and you have a major vacuum leak somewhere that is letting in unmetered air. I would start by tracing the intake piping from the turbo to the throttle body, paying particular attention to the clamp at the throttle body, because a lot of people have had that pop off when they haven't clamped it firmly enough.

Cheers,

Jeff
Ding Ding!
That was it. Ended up working out okay, because when I got it up on the lift, my new HID ballast came form Prezman26 (Who is the best seller on SS!) So fixed that, tightened up a bunch of the clamps, used a breakerbar this time to be safe, cleaned my MAF, and got both HID fogs working. I missed the gym, but over all pretty stoked.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
my car did this when I blew a coupler..check all your connections over and over again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts