SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help since I don't want to end up with 2 rather similar cars in the garage.

Today we have a V40 T5 Carbon edition which we have owned since new and we absolutely love the car.
Nothing has gone wrong(43 500miles), drives like a dream and is very comfortable and it even does the claimed
~40 MPG on my girlfriends commute to work.

2018 V60 Polestars doesn't sell well in Sweden so they now have them for sale at 48k USD(they are 70k MSRP)
which is a very, very, VERY tempting price since I've always wanted a Polestar in some form.

Now you guys just got to tell me not to go buy one because I don't need a V60 really,
I don't really need any car at all but I obviously must have one, which is not the same as need one.

Tell me it's a stupid idea and that I should go buy a BMW M2 DCT or Porsche 981 Cayman S instead.

Thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm a wagon fan living in the USA, so getting a V60 P* was pretty much a no-brainer. I also like color on my vehicles, so getting it in Rebel Blue was a huge bonus.

If you're not really into wagons and don't need the utility afforded by one, I would get the Porsche instead (in Miami Blue). I'd love to add a 911 Turbo to the stable, but I would never get a chance to use it since my kids are still living under our roof...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to own a tuned 2011 Volvo C30 T5, power was around 225HP at the wheels, torque was over 450nm easily and from very low RPM.

I traded it in for the S60 Polestar Carbon edition because the S60 shape was changing and I got a very big discount on it as a result

If your V40 has the 2.5L Turbo Inline-5 version T5 im going to tell you straight the 2.0L VEA platform is a major let down. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good, and despite lofty torque claims the motor feels flat and asthmatic compared to the 5 cylinder. It feels like a standard 2.0L twin charged unit in the facelift T6's until it gets to say 5000RPM.
It makes more power than the 2.5 T5 but you have to rev the nuts off it, and the TCM shifts way earlier than it should giving you a very short window of where the engine is able to make good power.
Its a frustrating drive and very hard to enjoy on the street due to the engines characteristics and the mass of the S60/V60.

For comparison i also drove the 2018 Cayman 718 GTS and the 2018 Audi S4 3.0 TFSI around the same time. Those cars have far far better engines, they feel a lot stronger when just pottering around town slowly and the Audi S4s Porsche derived 3.0L really sings a beautiful song when you plonk it into sport mode and it pulls strong and linearly throughout and generally feels less enigmatic than the Volvo. The Cayman GTS is less entertaining aurally but its performance in a straight line and also point and squirt is a completely different level from the 2018 Polestar, the Porsche flat-4 engine also feels like it has significantly more torque and power despite claiming less than the Polestar. Braking performance on the Polestar is a mixed bag too, it can stop like a cat on carpet when bedded in and in temperature range in a straight line, but the brake balance front to rear is dodgey to say the least and doesnt inspire confidence during cornering, ive been talking about it in another thread here.

So why then did i go with the Polestar Volvo ? Well as I said it was a lot cheaper than the S4 and the Porsche Cayman, and honestly in my opinion the Carbon Edition Cars look utterly brilliant. I mean you drive it anywhere and people just love them, i drove mine to the Audi dealership and the sales department basically shut down because all the staff came to see it. Even though its the old shape it doesnt look old, it looks so exotic and it draws attention of cars that cost 4x more.
The car comfort inside is really great, seats are super comfy, default suspension and tyre setup is hard but it rides quite nice and feels nimble compared to the Audi S4. I also like the more old school driver focused interior with buttons cause god damn the touchscreens on the new cars drives me up the wall...they are INFURIATING to use on the road you have to take your eyes of the road for far too long to do basic things. It just feels very sorted and robust and hard to break.

So there you go...plenty of cases to not buy it, and a few kind silly reasons to buy it. Its a very flawed car with a disappointing engine, that has style and oozes rarity and character. If you want to be different youll love it, if you want a high performance drivers car you can do much much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to own a tuned 2011 Volvo C30 T5, power was around 225HP at the wheels, torque was over 450nm easily and from very low RPM.

I traded it in for the S60 Polestar Carbon edition because the S60 shape was changing and I got a very big discount on it as a result

If your V40 has the 2.5L Turbo Inline-5 version T5 im going to tell you straight the 2.0L VEA platform is a major let down. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good, and despite lofty torque claims the motor feels flat and asthmatic compared to the 5 cylinder. It feels like a standard 2.0L twin charged unit in the facelift T6's until it gets to say 5000RPM.
It makes more power than the 2.5 T5 but you have to rev the nuts off it, and the TCM shifts way earlier than it should giving you a very short window of where the engine is able to make good power.
Its a frustrating drive and very hard to enjoy on the street due to the engines characteristics and the mass of the S60/V60.

For comparison i also drove the 2018 Cayman 718 GTS and the 2018 Audi S4 3.0 TFSI around the same time. Those cars have far far better engines, they feel a lot stronger when just pottering around town slowly and the Audi S4s Porsche derived 3.0L really sings a beautiful song when you plonk it into sport mode and it pulls strong and linearly throughout and generally feels less enigmatic than the Volvo. The Cayman GTS is less entertaining aurally but its performance in a straight line and also point and squirt is a completely different level from the 2018 Polestar, the Porsche flat-4 engine also feels like it has significantly more torque and power despite claiming less than the Polestar. Braking performance on the Polestar is a mixed bag too, it can stop like a cat on carpet when bedded in and in temperature range in a straight line, but the brake balance front to rear is dodgey to say the least and doesnt inspire confidence during cornering, ive been talking about it in another thread here.

So why then did i go with the Polestar Volvo ? Well as I said it was a lot cheaper than the S4 and the Porsche Cayman, and honestly in my opinion the Carbon Edition Cars look utterly brilliant. I mean you drive it anywhere and people just love them, i drove mine to the Audi dealership and the sales department basically shut down because all the staff came to see it. Even though its the old shape it doesnt look old, it looks so exotic and it draws attention of cars that cost 4x more.
The car comfort inside is really great, seats are super comfy, default suspension and tyre setup is hard but it rides quite nice and feels nimble compared to the Audi S4. I also like the more old school driver focused interior with buttons cause god damn the touchscreens on the new cars drives me up the wall...they are INFURIATING to use on the road you have to take your eyes of the road for far too long to do basic things. It just feels very sorted and robust and hard to break.

So there you go...plenty of cases to not buy it, and a few kind silly reasons to buy it. Its a very flawed car with a disappointing engine, that has style and oozes rarity and character. If you want to be different youll love it, if you want a high performance drivers car you can do much much better.
The V40 is a 2016 and the Carbon edition was the introduction of carbon fibre roof and mirror caps and it was also the first VEA engine to get the Polestar treatment(245/350 to 253/400 hp/nm) so yea its the 2.0 T5 VEA, but I rather like it and I could not have owned the 2.5 5cyl since it doesn't come with paddles.

I am a big wagon fan aswell and the V60 Polestar is probably the best looking wagon I've ever seen to be honest, it's amazing to look at!
The rarirty and coolness is the tempting part I guess, and the general love I got for Volvo.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
If you already have a wagon and don't need another one then I'd go for the Porsche. You can always pick up a Polestar when you're ready to trade your V40. I haven't driven the M2 so can't comment but have spent a day or so in a Cayman S at a Porsche HPDE event and I would pick that hands down over a Polestar if I didn't need a wagon and could live with a small car as a daily driver. All that said, $48k for a V60P* is pretty compelling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you already have a wagon and don't need another one then I'd go for the Porsche. You can always pick up a Polestar when you're ready to trade your V40. I haven't driven the M2 so can't comment but have spent a day or so in a Cayman S at a Porsche HPDE event and I would pick that hands down over a Polestar if I didn't need a wagon and could live with a small car as a daily driver. All that said, $48k for a V60P* is pretty compelling.
Yeah V40 is big enough for 99,9% of things we do, if we need to carry big(IKEA) stuff we just borrow mine/her dads Caddy/Transit.
With that fact and the fact that I walk to work nowadays allows me to get any 'toy'car I can afford, making the V60 a rather bad 'toy'.

I have owned a 2018 6-speed manual M2 and didn't love the M2+manual combo, M2 DCT is just epic and will do some V40-stuff aswell while the Cayman wont.

The M2 DCT's and the 981S I'm shopping for are 57k to 60k usd, for that I get a basically brand new 2018 M2 or a 2015 Cayman S with rather alot of miles(31k).

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you have a wife or SO, just say exactly what you wrote to us.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a wagon fan living in the USA, so getting a V60 P* was pretty much a no-brainer. I also like color on my vehicles, so getting it in Rebel Blue was a huge bonus.

If you're not really into wagons and don't need the utility afforded by one, I would get the Porsche instead (in Miami Blue). I'd love to add a 911 Turbo to the stable, but I would never get a chance to use it since my kids are still living under our roof...
RIVIERA Blue ,L39e

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh i forgot another one of the big factors for going with the Polestar S60 for me was the safety aspect. I totally forgot to mention it because with Volvos we just expect it. It feels very safe and solid, the collision detection system is just plain awesome and helps me drive better. Overall you feel very safe and well protected in the car, whereas in the Porsche Cayman you feel like youre going die if a bird hits the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
84 Posts
Problem with the 6 cylinder models is that they are going to be out of warranty sooner, some are already having gearbox issues.

Id say its the better performance car out of the two but could become more problematic than the 4 cylinder. Though nobody knows how well the 4 cylinders engine will hold up in terms of high mileage maintenance since its very complicated.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
My Polestarobessison has gotten worse with a basically new 3.0 Polestar now being for sale close to me.
It's a 2016 S60 in black, only done 9k miles and looks brand new, just gorgeous!
As much as a 44k 2018 brand new Polestar is tempting, this almost new 6cyliner at 38k is even more tempting!

Heres a link to the ad: https://www.blocket.se/alvsborg/Volvo_S60_Polestar_T6_350hk_1600mil_86305141.htm?sa=1
The 6 cylinder is the one to get of course but those prices seem too close for a new car and one that's two years old.

The 4 cylinder is proving to be more troublesome (no surprise) than the 6 at this point with several supercharger and compressor valve failures reported.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats where the 2 year warranty helps in the 2018 one!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would highly recommend that you test drive both and make up your own mind! :D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So drove my friends newly purchased 2015 v60 Polestar and I think I'm in love.
Last time I drove Polestars(one 3.0 one 2.0) I felt that the seatingposition was way to high, did not notice that today. Also the exhaust felt very quiet last time, not today.

I remember prefering the 3.0 6speed to the 2.0 8speed combo last time and today reminded me of that.

That exhast is to die for. Also the 6speed shifts very fast when you are ON it! Very slow to react when you're not WOT.

Since there are no Porsche caymans that has "the perfect spec" I might do the Polestar thingy until a perfrect Cayman S/GTS shows up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So testdrove the extremley nice s60 6cyl today and it was wonderful.
Noticed quickly that the automatic gearbox is actually REALLY good when you drive fast and use the paddles, almost feels instant.

There was only one problem and that was that the steeringwheel wasnt 100% straight and should just be a alignment issue.

Otherwise the car was completley mint. The previous owner had painted most of the suspension parts and other parts that could start to rust, including rear brake calipers and so on.

Just a matter of do I want a V40 and a S60 in the garage..

·
Registered
84 Posts
There was only one problem and that was that the steeringwheel wasnt 100% straight and should just be a alignment issue.
Mine developed that problem after 8000km only, i wonder whats causing it because ive never hit any pot holes or any thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts