SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m purchasing my first Volvo tomorrow, I am ordering the V90 CC, I’m very excited. I’ve decided I want the Thunder Gray exterior. I have had a black Subaru for a few years and it is impossible to stay looking clean in Seattle where I live.

I can’t decide on the interior- amber or charcoal. I’d like the ventilated option. I have two large black dogs, and we hike and camp a lot.

Does the amber clash with the gray exterior? Even if the dogs remain in the cargo space, is the amber going to be tough to keep clean? The charcoal interior seems like a seemless color palette too. Too many things to consider! What does anyone think?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think Amber is the PERFECT complement to the dark grey. Grey and black would be drab. We had Amber on our previous silver S90 and really liked it (now we have an R-Design, white with black interior…which I only really like because of the contrasting white stitching).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I have a Thunder/Amber car coming in any day now for a customer and am looking forward to seeing it. I think I'll either love it or hate it. I do think Thunder Grey looks much better on the sedans and wagons than the SUVs. Generally I'm not a huge fan of Amber with the greys, but Thunder might have enough blue in it to look sharp. But charcoal would look awesome and be a safe choice for sure.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
6 Posts
I love my V60 PE in the Thunder Grey w/ Charcoal interior. I know that I didn't have an interior color choice, but that grey and black combo is awesome.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

I'd imagine Amber interior w/ thunder grey is a weird choice? Tan vs. bluish grey is definitely quite the contrast but maybe there's enough black in the amber to make it not too jarring...

·
Registered
128 Posts
To me the black interior loses some of the detail. You can't see how nice it is without a lighter shade, and some contrast.
We had a 2018 with Black interior, and now have a 2019 with the Maroon Brown. I love it, my wife not as much, but she does like it. Personally, I LOVE the blonde, but worry about appearance if dirty, especially near the feet.
This is the Maroon Brown in my 2019 S90, still has a lot of black, but a nice alternative, and you can see all of it better.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Brown Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering wheel

And yep, that's me all masked up in the reflection 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
370 Posts
I guess I need to familiarize myself with Thunder Grey…I presumed it was just a neutral grey. Either way, Amber is a neutral hue. The rule is always a color and a neutral, in either order (exterior:interior), but never two hues (like blue exterior and red interior that I regrettably see people order on Audi’s and BMW’s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
Amber will require more work to keep clean and I would get tired of the color - take a look at the used Ambers out there and the seats look a little tired. Nothing looks worse than dirty Amber and Blond. To me if you went with Amber the contrast would be better on a darker colored car like Platinum or Denim or Onyx.

I've also been looking at the V90CC and would go with the Maroon interior and Platinum exterior but that's not available with the ventilated seats.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,854 Posts
I love my V60 PE in the Thunder Grey w/ Charcoal interior. I know that I didn't have an interior color choice, but that grey and black combo is awesome.
You didn't. Polestar Engineered cars are only available with the black interior

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Thunder gray is def not a normal grey color. It's grown on me quite a bit, especially on the smaller cars like I said... but you should strive to see it in person to avoid the shock if you were to order and expect something more "normal" like osmium was.

And I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else on colored interiors... I just haven't seen amber with it myself yet to speak on how it pairs... but I love seeing a flash green with atacama like any good Volvo guy does, so sometimes odd is better.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,854 Posts
Thunder grey is basically Volvo's version of Audi's Nardo grey, with a bit of a bluer hue instead of looking completely like paint primer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts