SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished typing a long post that I lost, so this time will be short. Here's the issue:

Love station wagons so recently brought a 2015 TX XC70 with 63K. Paid $22,500 for a certified platinum. Now, I didn't need a new car as I have a 2013 BMW 535 GT with only 35K miles. I live 2 miles from work.

Issue: While I love everything about this car, I'm not comfortable with what I consider high mileage. I thought it would be ok, but it is not. I think this is the highest mileage car I've ever had. (Yes, I'm the spinster aunt whose car everybody in the family wants to buy!)

Questions:

Since I believe that I would like this car for several years, I see that there are lots of low mileage 2016 XC70 available and am thinking about getting one. This is with full knowledge that I would probably loose $$$. Since station wagons are not big in this part, I will probably incur transportation costs of greater than $1K.

1. Is there that big of a difference between the T6 and the T5 in terms of power? While I don't go that much, when I do I like to really go. I don't like my car to hesitate at all.

2. How big of a financial hit would you be willing to take to be happy? Considering the cost of getting the car to me, the sales taxes already paid I estimate I might loose $3-$5K. This is not considering the additional cost of the 2016.

I know most of you on this forum are men and younger than me so your reasoning might be different but would love any opinions.

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
FWIW, I have a 2009 XC70 T6 that is about to turn over 280,000 miles! Yours is still a baby!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2009 XC70 T6 also has many miles. Currently at 203,000 and I've had no major issues. I plan on driving it for many more years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
wow that's a lot of miles.

My 2008 has 330,000 kms which is about 205,000 miles.

I think his 2015 has the 5 cyl engine though eh? (while ours both have the 6)

With that said, you should definitely have something that makes you happy and comfortable.

If one year newer and less miles makes you happy you should do it and not worry about the lost money.

OR if the money is really a big deal to you then keep what you have and know that these cars really are built to last a good long time if you can stomach replacing things when they wear out (which they will).

This forum is recently transitioning from a forum of people who all own the shiny new thing and are mostly the first owners of the cars and mostly have them serviced at the dealership, to people who are limping along older higher-mileage cars and are the second or third owners of the cars and often DIYing. The 'first owners' are all on the XC90/XC60/V90/etc forums now haha. Both approaches are fine and you should do whatever fits your lifestyle and budget etc, etc, etc.

I have never owned a BMW but I get the feeling the ownership experience of used BMWs is much worse than with used Volvos, though the gap has closed considerably in recent decades. Hopefully the new SPA cars reverse the trend a bit.... that's a bit off topic though.

Do what makes you happy and then don't look back. Either way your XC70 will do it's level best for you - that's one thing you can count on.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
I know most of you on this forum are men and younger than me so your reasoning might be different but would love any opinions.
How much you would lose on the sale of the car you just bought would depend a lot on how you choose to sell it - privately or trade it in at the dealer you are getting the new one at.

You will do better if you try to sell it privately but if that's not your cup of tea then a trade in at a dealer will most likely bring much less, causing you to probably exceed the $3-5k that you estimated it would cost - just a guess.

In terms of T5 vs. T6, I really like the T5 motor. In AWD versions it is the last 5 cylinder motor that Volvo would sell. In the FWD models the T5 is a four cylinder - go figure. I think you'll find the five cylinder to have plenty of get up and go. I've driven several of them and have been impressed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
65k is nothing. I took my Accord to 336k. My 850 wagon is at 199 and drives great.
Just drive it and enjoy it. Your car turnover is high enough that you probably won’t have much to do on it.

Not to mention taking a car to high mileage is one of the most environmentally friendly options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
461 Posts
We own 2 T6s, a red 2013 with 111,000 mi., and a seashell 2015 with 34,000 mi. I spent quite some time looking for both, and travelled big distances to get both, but I was very picky about colors bc I live in the desert. Still, finding a low mileage XC70 (< 30K mi.) is getting tough, as 2016 was the last production year. You must have liked something about the 2015 platinum T6 to plunk down that sum!! If it was cared for properly, 63K is better than something with 40K that they couldn't afford maintenance on.

I had test driven a 2016 XC70 Drive-E (4-cylinder) with 8-speed Geartronic, and didn't think it had as much guts as the I-6 turbo, altho the Drive-E gets better gas mileage. So I bought the same car you bought. We love our T6s, and since they are identical mechanically, look fwd to a friendly drag race ....0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds on a flat road.
Nobody is expecting to be left in the dust by a Volvo station wagon...it's a rocket enclosed mini-truck. You done well to buy one, now enjoy it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought. 2015.5 xc70 t6 platinum p* in 2017 with 28,000 miles. I could not be happier. Coming out of a 2005 XC70 (5 cyl.) with 140,000 miles this car is much faster with much more torque. The steering feels a bit less responsive but that’s a minor criticism that I always forget about whenever I step on the accelerator. Other than new tires and oil changes there have been no issues. I drove a new V90 XC and it does not feel nearly as quick. Seems to be asking a lot from a little 4 cyl motor. My $.02

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Decision? Buy a T6 or a T5...but Polestar tune either one. Mileage is a thing in your head, you need help lol. Mileage is just a number, dont worry.

Drive it like it owes you all of your money and sell the BMW because they don’t make heads turn. Nothing special about BMW. With the money -make roadtrips, stay in the right lane, put your wayfarer on, get some 19” rims, get it detailed , do scheduled/ preventive maintenance and play your favorite SPOTIFY tunes.

You will never want to go back and worry about loosing 1000 left or right. Its only money. Start enjoying. We know you want a XC70. Once bitten, you cant go back.

All the best, by the way, how old are you?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Is the concern of "high miles" a utility one or more of a vanity one? Neither answer is wrong so much, but it will affect the reasoning. If the purchase was recent then you have the unlimited mile warranty, and that can be extended out to 10 year of car life, even after the sale. You can extend for less money to 100k, and that might work for you just fine. To me that all but eliminates the utility concern. You could extend the warranty possibly for less than the transaction cost of trading in, and add polestar if you want some more kick, and still be close.

If it's more of a vanity concern then I would try to sell private. You have the advantage of another car to get around while you look for the perfect Volvo. The certification transfers so that's a big plus. It's also a plus if you trade in because the dealer won't have to pay to certify it a 2nd time, they just have to make sure it still meets the standards or get it up to snuff. Most states do give a tax credit for the trade in amount.. your comment makes that seem to be the case, then don't take less than the trade in value PLUS the tax savings.

In our market (south central PA) the demand for XC70s far passes what the book guides show for value. It actually can be a challenge to get folks approved if they have no money down. We aren't just being greedy either. We only source our cars from trade in or Volvo auctions and the auction sale price is often above the KBB retail price for these models, especially after you factor in transportation and reconditioning and certification costs (plus we do like to make something for selling em!) With that being said, your dealer you purchased from should want to play game here. If they can help you find the right car, the salesperson should be motivated to make something work. I tend to work pretty hard for a all but guaranteed deal, especially from a repeat customer. The downside is they still have to have it make business sense, they still now have a car fax with one more owner, and while low mile XC70s are out there, I wouldn't call them common. Unless you paid far too much (for our market, you did not) then you should be able to see a loss in that $3k-$5k range you stated, possibly less if you haven't had it that long.

All cars are too expensive to not love IMO. If there are other reasons to make the change, you have some options and aren't put in a box here so go for it. If it's just a mile concern IMO there are better value solutions. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
In our market (south central PA) the demand for XC70s far passes what the book guides show for value.
Thank you - this is interesting. It helps potentially explain why an CPO XC70 I was looking at locally (NE Ohio) is priced well above KBB at my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Thank you - this is interesting. It helps potentially explain why an CPO XC70 I was looking at locally (NE Ohio) is priced well above KBB at my local dealer.
Make sure it's worth it of course! IMO I'd rather "overpay" for a really clean car than get a "great deal" on a car with some hidden issues. Frankly some dealers charge a little more for a better product, and some charge a little more because they think they can get away with it. Volvo is working on better QC checks with the CPO program. One change to Volvo's CPO program in the past few months is the requirement to use OEM brand tires. So when we buy a car off lease at 36k and the old customer bought brand new cheap round black tires to turn in, we have to get rid of those and put on brand new tires again. Things like that add a good deal to the cost between a trade value and CPO price. I suspect some dealers forget to do this and hope consumers don't notice (far less than half of my customers mention the brand of tires to me so I started to point it out to them). Plus we do pay a flat fee just to add the CPO warranty as well.

I know I'm bias towards dealerships as it's my livelihood, and as such I pay more than I "need" to when I buy farm equipment in my sympathy for other folks to make a buck too. So please just view this all as a perspective to help rather than what you must do. It's not the customers problem how much dealers have to pay for this or that, but it helps to understand the picture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Make sure it's worth it of course! IMO I'd rather "overpay" for a really clean car than get a "great deal" on a car with some hidden issues. Frankly some dealers charge a little more for a better product, and some charge a little more because they think they can get away with it. Volvo is working on better QC checks with the CPO program. One change to Volvo's CPO program in the past few months is the requirement to use OEM brand tires. So when we buy a car off lease at 36k and the old customer bought brand new cheap round black tires to turn in, we have to get rid of those and put on brand new tires again. Things like that add a good deal to the cost between a trade value and CPO price. I suspect some dealers forget to do this and hope consumers don't notice (far less than half of my customers mention the brand of tires to me so I started to point it out to them). Plus we do pay a flat fee just to add the CPO warranty as well.

I know I'm bias towards dealerships as it's my livelihood, and as such I pay more than I "need" to when I buy farm equipment in my sympathy for other folks to make a buck too. So please just view this all as a perspective to help rather than what you must do. It's not the customers problem how much dealers have to pay for this or that, but it helps to understand the picture.
Completely understood and I appreciate the insight. Admittedly at first when I saw the vehicle and the mileage I thought the dealership was crazy for pricing it above KBB and what most others I've seen go for, but as it turns out it does indeed have 4 brand new Pirelli Scorpions on it, its a single owner car and it does appear to have been meticulously maintained.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Decision? Buy a T6 or a T5...but Polestar tune either one.
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
Is the Polestar tune available for the 2016 T5? I see it on the Polestar site as an upgrade for the FWD 4-Cyl engine, but not for the 5-Cyl AWD variant.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Is the Polestar tune available for the 2016 T5? I see it on the Polestar site as an upgrade for the FWD 4-Cyl engine, but not for the 5-Cyl AWD variant.
Hummm... I checked with our parts counter on a comparable 2016 T5 AWD vin and they said no as well. That stinks.

·
Registered
2016 XC70 T5 AWD 58K; 1993 244SE Classic 172K; 1997 S90 252K (sold)
20 Posts
I live 2 miles from work.

1. Is there that big of a difference between the T6 and the T5 in terms of power? While I don't go that much, when I do I like to really go. I don't like my car to hesitate at all.

2. How big of a financial hit would you be willing to take to be happy? Considering the cost of getting the car to me, the sales taxes already paid I estimate I might loose $3-$5K. This is not considering the additional cost of the 2016.

The quicker acceleration of the T6 may not be put to good use all that often, other than on a wide open road or freeway/turnpike. Do you find many opportunities to "go" during your 2-mile ride to work?
I recently purchased a 2016 CPO T5 AWD Platinum (5-cyl turbo) and I do miss the T6's instant acceleration during tricky merges. I compared both before buying the T5. I ended up with the T5 simply due to lack of availability of the T6 with the condition, color, options, and maint. history I was seeking in a newer Volvo. I would have preferred the quietness and at-speed smoothness of the T6, not to mention the power+torque. However, I find the lighter engine+car combo of the T5 more useful, more often around town on surface streets and boulevards. On the highway, it's quite powerful enough unless one is interested in racing (to my way of thinking), which I'm not. But you're right that the T6 hesitates less than the T5 upon mashing the pedal. But, on local roads, the T6 felt a little too heavy for errand-running in the 30-50 mph speed limit suburban environments, & with traffic lights.

I paid around $32K + tax + financing (w/ Volvo's 0.99% deal). The miles on mine are closer to 63K than to the 35K on your BMW. So, my educated guess is that with a low-mileage T5 from 2016, you'd pay about $34K+tax+delivery to your area (unless you find one locally or ask a distant dealer to generously include delivery in the base price). I personally would not be comfortable buying a 63K-mile car since I would want something a little more 'pristine'. However, an excellent (and DOCUMENTED) service history could sway me, were I still in the market.

Only you can decide how much more money you'd want to spend to get a lower mileage vehicle. [Off topic: I once paid to have my garage dry-walled. There is no inside access to it, so it wasn't all that necessary. My older neighbor and I got into a friendly debate about it and he was on the side of preferring that I save my money. It just came down to the feeling that whenever I pulled in to the garage, I preferred seeing clean walls instead of studs and innards. So I had it finished. He said that there's something to be said for spending money for the sake of one feeling comfortable, if for no other reason.]

I still miss not having the T6's power and responsiveness once in a while on the highway. And I don't think I'm gaining much MPG with my T5. Nevertheless, I think the T5 is a much more balanced & well-rounded car overall for the broadest of driving conditions.

·
Registered
2016 XC70 T5 AWD 58K; 1993 244SE Classic 172K; 1997 S90 252K (sold)
20 Posts
If you’re still interested in trading for newer, check out this 2016 XC70 T5 AWD Platinum beige+beige, VIN no. YV4612NM1G1260312 Stock no. 2000325776 at Carvana. It’s currently listed for $28,300 as I post this. Yesterday it was $28,800!

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1252446

I have no connection with them. However, I am posting this because I reserved and almost purchased this same car for $31,600 back in June (w/ free delivery). Even after I bought my T5 at a franchised dealer – same model, same specs, same color – I still vicariously browse to this one every few weeks to see how low it will go before it’s no longer available. It’s been reserved several times but keeps popping back and becoming available again, at yet another price-drop. They could not provide any service records. So that’s why I ultimately cancelled my order before delivery. (They also called it a “Volkswagen XC70” in one of their recorded messages to me.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 2009 XC70 D5 has 370,000 kilometers on it, it runs perfectly, I however know that it was a country car, with lots of country kilometers on it, which is a lot different to a city based car and it's stop / start driving / braking etc.
the trans gets to top gear and stays there etc.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you’re still interested in trading for newer, check out this 2016 XC70 T5 AWD Platinum beige+beige, VIN no. YV4612NM1G1260312 Stock no. 2000325776 at Carvana. It’s currently listed for $28,300 as I post this. Yesterday it was $28,800!

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1252446

I have no connection with them. However, I am posting this because I reserved and almost purchased this same car for $31,600 back in June (w/ free delivery). Even after I bought my T5 at a franchised dealer – same model, same specs, same color – I still vicariously browse to this one every few weeks to see how low it will go before it’s no longer available. It’s been reserved several times but keeps popping back and becoming available again, at yet another price-drop. They could not provide any service records. So that’s why I ultimately cancelled my order before delivery. (They also called it a “Volkswagen XC70” in one of their recorded messages to me.)
A car that has been reserved several times and then passed over is suspicious to me. Plus I think there is too much value in the Volvo CPO warranty. The low mile 100k 10 year vehicle life extension is too cheap to not get.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts