SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all are awesome. You have knocked out two of my Help me love my Volvo items, and two have resolved themselves. My love meter is doing well. Here is my next issue..

Item 5: When taking a bluetooth hands-free call in the vehicle, if the other person hangs up first, I get a ear-splitting screech out of the sound system. Dangerously loud. If I hang up first, no problem. This is a 2018 T8 Inscription w/ Advanced/Convenience/Vision/B&W. The phone is an iPhone 7+.

Thanks!
-Will

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does it do it with any other phone connected to the xc60 besides your iphone? I have yet to have that problem and I have 4 separate phones I use in the xc

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like really bad feed back.

I would make sure all previously paired devices are removed including your currently phone. Then re-pair your phone and see if that resolves the issue? If not, depending on when you last got a system update you may have to wait until your next service or bring your car in with the underlying condition and have them update it. From my understanding there were some changes made with the last update for iPhone and Android.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iPhones are all I have, so I can't readily try another phone - maybe I can recruit a friend with an Android - though, god forbid, if they have an Android can they really be my friend? ;)

Just to be clear, you mention updates - did you mean updates to the car software or to the iPhone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The car,

Updates from and including April 2019

Improved logic for the seatbelt reminder in the rear seat. The signal will stop sounding when the car stops and start sounding again when the car moves.
A new function, Volvo data analytics, has been integrated in order to improve the overall quality of our vehicles. This function will use a small amount of the vehicle's data plan.
Altered optimization in the infotainment system for compensation for engine noise. Slightly altered sound may be heard.
Improved feedback for Pilot Assist. Under certain conditions, the steering wheel vibrates slightly when Pliot Assist steering assistance is disconnected, adaptive cruise control remains active. The same vibration as for lane assist is used when the car is about to leave its lane.
Amended messages in the driver display (12-inch) for the Start/Stop function. A start/stop symbol has been added and the texts "Ready" and "Off" have been removed. See Altered start/stop symbols
Connected safety, hazard warning flasher alarm and slippery driving conditions alarm, will be available for Europe, see Connected Safety.
Updating Apple CarPlay:
Simplified Start-up after an iPhone has been connected.
Visual notification of incoming SMS as well as other notifications from an iPhone.
Improved positioning when using map services in Apple CarPlay in China.
Improved software in Tuneln, more channels will work.
Improved searching of points of interest (POI) in the navigation system.
Performance and stability improvements in the infotainment system.
The user has a new timer for the vehicle's approach light. It used to be 30 seconds, and the new change means it is now 120 seconds.
Improvement of the engine management system's optimization.
Improvement of the transmission system's optimization.
Updated software that provides improved steering responsiveness and less vibration.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any way to tell if I have the April 2019 update? That’s when I bought the car so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: At the time of this problem I was having a hard time hearing my cell phone in the car through the infotainment system so the car volume was nearly maxed. I recently discovered that for some reason my cell phone volume was turned most of the way down (I normally use a Bluetooth headset outside the car and the iPhone has independent volume for that as opposed to the built in speaker). Turns out that the volume on the phone and the volume of the infotainment system are not independent as I expected. So the feedback screech appears to have been because the car volume was so high. Right now I have the phone at a more normal volume and thus the car is at a more normal volume and no screech at the end of calls. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
From your phones perspective, your XC60 is just another Bluetooth speaker system. When using CarPlay, this is not an issue as the volume switch on the phone is disabled.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, that’s kinda my point. With a Bluetooth speaker, the volume controls on the phone and the speaker are NOT independent. If I adjust the volume with the buttons on the speaker, I can see that my phone adjusts its volume as well and vice versa. I don’t know if that is universal for all speakers. My XC60 does not behave this way. The controls are independent such that if the phone volume is all the way down, I may not be able to adjust it to an understandable level using the car volume knob even at max volume. Not a big deal, I just didn’t expect this behavior.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
So do you finally love your Volvo?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right, that’s kinda my point. With a Bluetooth speaker, the volume controls on the phone and the speaker are NOT independent. If I adjust the volume with the buttons on the speaker, I can see that my phone adjusts its volume as well and vice versa. I don’t know if that is universal for all speakers. My XC60 does not behave this way. The controls are independent such that if the phone volume is all the way down, I may not be able to adjust it to an understandable level using the car volume knob even at max volume. Not a big deal, I just didn’t expect this behavior.

Most devices, when paired with Bluetooth, still have independent volume settings. In the dozen or so vehicles I've paired with, it's never been unified. There are exceptions, but it's usually seen in equipment from the same manufacturer (ex. Phone w/earbuds) or where another way of additional control can be implemented (like CarPlay).

My phone retains the volume level for different Bluetooth devices, so I'm not adjusting it each time I get in the car anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been having this issue on our 2018 XC90 for some time and finally got around to looking into it. As stated, whenever you hang up a call the feedback is absolutely deafening. It's almost joke at this point when everyone in the car knows to cover their ears when ending a call. I've posted two videos below. FYI: check your volume before playing.

From what I have experienced there isn't any change when adjusting the volume on the phone itself. Obviously, turning down the volume through Sensus lessens the effect. But that's not really the point. I spoke with my dealer today and Volvo does recognize that an issue exists. However, the TJ states that the cause and fix are TBD. Through trial and error I have narrowed it down to the microphones in the vehicle remaining active for a millisecond or two after a call has ended. The mics pick up ambient sounds and that sound is then cycled through the audio system causing the feedback. My assumption comes from the few times when I go to say something to a passenger when hanging up and my voice comes back through the speakers along with the feedback. I further feel this is the issue because no two screeches are the same.

I have updated my iPhone including all applications, tried factory reset, volume adjustments, removing and re-pairing, BT, CarPlay, no apps running, equalizer settings, etc. But nothing was solving the issue. Also, this issue developed right after having the brakes replaced at the 40K service. I have regular maintenance scheduled for 8/7 so we will see if the new software update fixes the issue.

The fix/not fix: Put masking tape over every microphone in the car and the issue will go away. However, this isn't really a fix because I need to be able to legally use the phone in the car. I hope a fix comes soon.

https://youtu.be/YprN3IP8L0g

https://youtu.be/BRgptDz6-_c

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sounds like you tried this, but just to be sure.... I’m the OP and what I did to fix was initiate a call, wait for it to connect (I just called my office voice mail for testing), put the Sensus volume in the low to mid range, and then put the iPhone volume in the mid to high range. Hang up. Hopefully fixed. Worked for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It sounds like you tried this, but just to be sure.... I’m the OP and what I did to fix was initiate a call, wait for it to connect (I just called my office voice mail for testing), put the Sensus volume in the low to mid range, and then put the iPhone volume in the mid to high range. Hang up. Hopefully fixed. Worked for me. Good luck.

Is this something that has to be done more than once?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only if you let the volume on your phone get too low. The point is that if the volume on the phone is low then you have to crank up the volume in the car to hear the other caller on the hands-free. If the other person hangs up first, whammo, feedback screech.

And as others pointed out, the dual-volume thing is not unique to Volvo. I played around with my wife’s Acura and it does the same thing. I hadn’t realized that before, but I also don’t drive that car much.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This has been happening to me as well. It happened yesterday. I am worried about hearing damage. It has been a long time (2019) since anyone posted. Any solutions or insights?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts