SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I don't post here very much (I was active in the OSD board while I was doing research on my OSD trip, but haven't been back in a while). I currently have a 2.5 year old that I rear-face in a Brittax. I'm also currently pregnant with twins, and I'd REALLY like to be able to keep my XC60 and not get a minivan... :facepalm:

Anyone that's been there, done that and can give me advice on the types of carseats to buy so I can fit three kids in the 2nd row? I'm guessing we'll have to turn our 2.5 year old around so she can get in by herself, and we'll move her to the middle to have the babies on either side...

Help? (And why doesn't Volvo make minivans, darn it!!?!?!)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm quite sure you'll be ok with three kids, it's not uncommon at all for people with three kids to have a XC60 or a XC70. Atleast not in Sweden.

Can you disable the passanger seat airbag? It might be one child needs to go in that seat and one adult in the back. The type of carseats you choose will tell. Go to a carseat store and try them out in your XC.

/Martin

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMHO, I don't think it is a good idea to put 3 infant/toddlers at the back seat by themselves.

Imagine all 3 kids cry at the same time while you are driving.

I know I am paranoid and I have never put my kid (when he was an infant or a toddler) at the back seat by himself. :p

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know I am paranoid and I have never put my kid (when he was an infant or a toddler) at the back seat by himself.
Does that mean you or a spouse always sat in the back while someone drove?

I'm also currently pregnant with twins, and I'd REALLY like to be able to keep my XC60 and not get a minivan... :facepalm:
Having had 3 young kids at once (although never 3 in car seats at same time - did have 2 in booster seats, and one in carseat), I think you need to try out a few seats together to see how spacing works. I cant imagine having to reach over (or climb over) a carseat to get to the middle seat, and think its going to be tight as hell putting 3 together in any car together in the second row. I also think the suggestion to consider one in the front is a bit risky. Statistics show its MUCH safer in the rear row for infants and kids. Just saying.

I laud you for wanting to stay Volvo, but seriously, a minivan for 5 years isnt as hellish as it sounds. We loved our tricked out Sienna XLE when the kids were young, and I think the new Honda Odyssey is an easy way to travel too. You'll come to like the remote controlled slide open doors when the kids get big enough to climb in/out and handle their own seatbelting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out this website. It has great resources to help you with your question. Just do a simple search using keywords such as Volvo XC60:
http://www.car-seat.org
One of the narrower car seats available is the Diono Radian. Many people have managed to squeeze 3 in a row in some cars (not sure about the XC60). You could use those when your children have moved past the infant carrier stage. Not sure about narrow infant carriers, thought.
Our kids are 1.5 & 3.5, and we have two Radians rear-facing, on the outer seats.
Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does that mean you or a spouse always sat in the back while someone drove?
Indeed. :)

I bought a mini-van before when my kid was born. We needed more space in car when going out.
Now he is bigger and is no longer a toddler, so we got our XC60. :p

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Don't you have the tie downs? Just put one in the trunk. What could go wrong?*

* No one should actually do this.​

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am right in your same position--although we are pregnant with just one. Our son will be two in December and we have him forward facing in a Britax Boulevard 70 G3. We also have a Radian XTSL. Diono isn't making the XTSL anymore, but I believe the Radian RXT is what replaced the XTSL. If you're wanting to continue rear facing your 2.5 yo, I would suggest getting a Radian, and then possibly two Cybex Atons (I believe they are one of the narrowest infant seats) as your infant seats--placing the Radian in the passenger side outboard seat (as Radian will allow you to brace their seats against the seat in front of it) and the two Atons in the other seats. Probably, your absolute best fit will be with the older child forward facing in the center seat with an infant seat on each side, but that will depend on your willingness to have your older child climb over the other seats to reach their seat. If you do get the Radian and keep your child rear facing, perhaps try the Diono angle adjuster underneath it. It will give the front passenger a tad more room for adjusting their seat. Also, our Radian put little punctures in the shoulders of both front seats while we had it rear facing in the center. They didn't offer the angle adjuster at that time, but I'm sure it would have prevented that. It's all going to come down to what lengths you're willing to take to keep your XC60. My not-quite two year old is already nearly 35 lbs and 37" tall, so the thought of having to heft him over other seat bases to get him strapped in is pretty terrible.

We are actually looking to replace our XC60 with a Honda Odyssey. Not as a long term switch, but until we are past the little ones in massive car seats stage, we think it will be best. I highly suggest going to a store (preferably not Babies R Us as they tend to be less than helpful--smaller local baby stores have always been better for us. Or at the very least Buy Buy Baby) and try the seats out in your car. Also, try out double strollers in the cargo area. We have found that even with two kids, we are rapidly outgrowing our two five passenger vehicles and need something bigger just for space--not to mention the ease-of-use a minivan offers with the automatic doors and such. We live 6 hours and 15 hours from our families, so short trips still involve taking a lot of gear with us, and anytime family visits, we have to take two cars everywhere. I wish there were a practical way for us to keep the XC60, but I think at this point in our lives, functionality is going to win out over flair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts