SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im sure everyone else will immediately know the fix but its stumping me. The front end of my S40 has a "wobble" to it anytime you hit or go over a bump, its amplified if the steering wheel is turned, it feels like loose/ worn tie rod ends but ive jacked up the front end and even had it on a drive on rack and there is no play in them at all. i checked pulled and pushed on everything else without any idea where its coming from, i will say that i can with the car off grab the wheel and give it what turns out to be about a 1/4 to 1/8 turn in the steering wheel back and forth before it hits "lock" which seems kinda excessive? when taking the interestate, there is a section right as you leave town that has a decent curve and your standard gaps between the concrete sections and this causes the steering wheel to shake way worse than my last P1 or than this did about 6 months ago. I know the struts are shot on the front and they are getting replaced soon but ive never had a set shot or not cause these kinds of issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did look at the bushings for the control arms and upper strut mounts but nothing LOOKED bad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Believe it or not my 12 C30 R design goes through the same problem. However my car has had this annoying body vibration while cruising at 135 KMH on the highway and it does the same vibration sometimes even at lower speed. I have changed everything in the car from drive shafts to lower control arm to new tires twice! Yet i couldn't get down to the issue. We checked for everything link rods bushes and everything seemed fine!

In my case i get the exact steering knocking noise but the vibration seem to come from the driver side only! So i went and removed the strut to check and while pressing it it didn't come back up again. This grabbed my attention and i went and ordered two new struts with the bearing and spring mount. Lets see but iam positive that this is the reason behind my issues. I believe it is the same in your car change them and see.

Good luck

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts