SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found two XC90's and I would like everybody's opinion on which would be a better buy.

1) 2007 3.2 AWD Premium package and Versatility package with parking sensors and folding mirrors. Silver with back interior. 40,000 miles for $23,000

2) 2009 3.2 AWD R Design. This one has everything. Parking sensors, BLISS, NAV and rear DVD. White with carmel interior. 46,000 miles for $28,000.

Is the 2009 R Design worth the extra $5,000??

TIA

·
Registered
668 Posts
Warranty? The more options you have the more things that will break. I do not see much advantage of the r design. What do the history reports look like? Are you getting CPO w/ the 09? The 09 with a CPO might be worth the extra 5,000 if the 07 does not have one. Also, you may want to look at the cost of insurance difference between the 07 (plain jane) and the 09 (R), also property taxes (if you have them in your neck of the woods).

*There is more to CPO than the warranty, the vehicle has to meet certain requirements before it can be CPO'd.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Everything else being equal (is this ever the case?) .... I would take the 2 year newer R-design. Cuter and more marketable. Of course, that is approx 20% more.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I have found two XC90's and I would like everybody's opinion on which would be a better buy.

1) 2007 3.2 AWD Premium package and Versatility package with parking sensors and folding mirrors. Silver with back interior. 40,000 miles for $23,000

2) 2009 3.2 AWD R Design. This one has everything. Parking sensors, BLISS, NAV and rear DVD. White with carmel interior. 46,000 miles for $28,000.

TIA
For $5,000 you get the trim look, nicer handling plus Nav and RSE. It is your money and you have to put value in these extras as to whether or not you are going to use them. Plus, the R-design is 2 years younger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody

There is no warranty on the 2007 and the 2009 R Design might have a couple thousand left of the factory warranty. The 2009 is not a CPO, it was traded in at a Chevrolet dealership about 1000 miles away from me. I would be buying it sight unseen.

My wife does like the looks of the R Design, but when we started looking, her only criteria was the XC90 had to have the parking sensors.

Also, the insurance is negligible between the two (about $60 a year difference)

I know it is our money and we have to decide if the extra options on the R Design is worth it to us or not. I just don't know if it is such a screaming deal that we shouldn't pass it up.

Thanks again

·
Registered
365 Posts
Everything else being equal (is this ever the case?) .... I would take the 2 year newer R-design. Cuter and more marketable. Of course, that is approx 20% more.

Did you really say "cuter"? Kind of like a Volkswagon Cabriolet drive by a Vandy sorority girl? :p

My vote, as an owner of an XC90 R edition, is to spend the extra coin. Or tell the dealer you want it more, but not at a cost of $5k. Amazing what they will do when they see the back of your shoes walking away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't know where you are, but for east coast pricing both seem rich to me, particularly without CPO. The 2007 seems more off-market. When looking a year ago I saw a few 2007 non-CPOs with 40k or so miles, and they were priced between $20k and $22k, on the offer. I even saw a 2008 non-CPO with 35k miles offered at $21.5k, but that traded quickly. For $23k you should be able to get a 2008 CPO with that kind of mileage. My bids would be $19k and $25k respectively. If the 2009 R were CPO, $27k is reasonable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the replies

I live in the Midwest. Kansas City Mo.

The 2009 R Design is on the East coast and I will have to have it shipped to me.

The 2007 is local.

I have been looking for over 2 months and it seems like there are not a lot of these SUV's that come up for sale that often around here. The ones that do are 2007 with close to 90k miles or 2008 with close to 80k miles.

The Volvo dealership here in KC, had a 2007 with 42k miles that was equipped similar to the one I am looking at, and they were asking $25,000.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
5000 is 6000 when you consider shipping. negotiate on the local one, get a PPI and be done with it. why pay for options you wont use?

·
Registered
416 Posts
What colors are they? This discussion is interesting as I have been wondering what my 2007 Sport w/ 46k mi is worth..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought if it was a true R-Design only 2 interior colors were offered???

In 2007 it was only Black / in 2008 & 2009 it was Black or White leather. I would like to see a picture of this truck that is a R-Design with Carmel colored leather.

Also if it is a R-Design the interior trim should be a brushed aluminum and not wood.

:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That's actually a tough one. Six thousand miles less for $5000 in your pocket, hmmmm.

I would probably go with the 2009 actually. There may be a few refinements that you could benefit from, and you could enjoy the nice trim, eventually you will get some of the money back just due to the model year.
It is a close call and I think it would depend on how each package presented itself, pick the one you really want to be driving and go with it.

best, good luck too,

P

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
That's actually a tough one. Six thousand miles less for $5000 in your pocket, hmmmm.

I would probably go with the 2009 actually. There may be a few refinements that you could benefit from, and you could enjoy the nice trim, eventually you will get some of the money back just due to the model year.
It is a close call and I think it would depend on how each package presented itself, pick the one you really want to be driving and go with it.

best, good luck too,

P
Let us know what you decided to do.........

·
Registered
17 Posts

TIA
Ghost, make me an offer on my 2006 XC90 2.5T Black/Beige Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, 42k miles. Very good condition, new tires, new battery, only serviced by Volvo with record book, and I only use Mobil 1 oil.

I'm in Miami, make a good offer and I'll buy your ticket down to pick it up!

I'm actually half joking here, but what would you say?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ghost, make me an offer on my 2006 XC90 2.5T Black/Beige Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, 42k miles. Very good condition, new tires, new battery, only serviced by Volvo with record book, and I only use Mobil 1 oil.

I'm in Miami, make a good offer and I'll buy your ticket down to pick it up!

I'm actually half joking here, but what would you say?
south florida and a black car? you are nuttier than me in the denver sun with a black car. now if your car was white and fwd, and with her black/tan 2.5 awd xc all cleaned up after a recent visit to the PDR doctor and a polishing I would be tempted to buy yours with 40k less miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
south florida and a black car? you are nuttier than me in the denver sun with a black car. now if your car was white and fwd, and with her black/tan 2.5 awd xc all cleaned up after a recent visit to the PDR doctor and a polishing I would be tempted to buy yours with 40k less miles.
Black is definitely the most elegant color IMO. All my cars are Black with Biege leather interior. Great combo. My cars stay parked inside most of the time and when out i always look for the shade anyway. It is FWD (as in Front Wheel, not Four).

Actually it is the wife's daily driver. I just sold the Tahoe with 3rd row because we really rarely needed that much space and it didn't fit in the garage with our other two cars.

I drive a Black BMW335D, with biege leather interior as well.

Now if we could only get Volvo to bring in a decent Diesel XC90, I'd have it made in the shade!:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts