SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi swedespeed!

I am soon going to buy my very first car!

At first I was looking at a S60 (2.4T) but it is too expensive where I live even with 300.000+km!

So I thought maybe a S/V40 2.0T reason being:

My dad has owned volvos most of his life and has mostly driven t5's and what not, but his latest car is a 2008 V70 (III) 2.5T (with Polestar) it has great fuel economy (whenever I drive it:p)
I love the "low-end" torque and fuel economy!

My mom on the other hand has a 1997 (98-model) V40 T4 which she bought from some friends that had it from new and have not driven it "hard" at all neither has my mom.

But back to the main topic! (sorry)

I'm unsure if I should buy a 2.0T (2000-2004) or buy my moms car very cheap?
Is it worth it to get a T4 over a 2.0T? Fuel wise and reliability?:confused:

btw the T4 has around 280.00km, and is the highest spec avaible eg. leather interior, climatic control, wood inlay, original sports steering wheel and gearknob but NOT trip-computer or what that is called info-center?

anyways I would be very thankfull if anyone could give me some insight for a great first car!

Kind regards from denmark :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would suggest taking your moms car. You where it came from, you know it was well taken of. And one day you will look back at this and say...... my first car belonged to my mom..... I assure you it will mean a lot. Take good care of it. Don't beat on it. I've been down these roads... I know from experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tryingbe those are hard to find in a good condition here in denmark in my opinion and that are also worth the money

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
1st, you need something reliable with which to make 1st car mistakes.

Buy Mom's car, its a no brainer. Good luck finding an affordable 960 that is in good shape.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to point out that I have had my drivers licence for almost 2 years and I'm allready very experienced (or so i've been told :p) I just want to get the best first car, that I can drive for some years until I can afford and want to replace it with another Volvo :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy moms car.

But make sure she does all the required maintenance before you get it from her;)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you're going for a V-/S40 then yes, buy your moms T4. I don't think the tradeoff in performance is worth what-ever minimal gain in fuel economy a 2.0T might be. Plus, as stated, you get a car with a well-known history, at least during the time you've had it in the family. Which is good enough.

But personally, I don't like the V/S40 series. If you don't go for the T4 I think you should look for an 850 or even a 900 as someone stated. 940's are cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. I don't know about fuel economy but if you get a manual they're not insane on fuel. I'd imagine 0,8-0,9 l/100 km at low speed high road driving, say 70-90 km/h? My first car was a 244 from 1980. Carburettor, manual, RWD. Even though I knew nothing about car maintenance when I first got it I learned a lot during the two years I had it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts