SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, since i recently got my hands on a nice R i want to maintain it as much as i can, i would like some help on which diagnostic tool to buy so i can pull codes and repair everything that it diagnoses.

If you guys have any links so i can buy one at a relatively good price it would be appreciated, must be available for canada shipping.

Cheers :D

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
04 XC70 16T, Stage 3 Hilton Tuning, D088 Intercooler and piping, Rollin Motor DPing
118 Posts
have u had any issues with this Vida/dice unit?

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have an unused DiCE unit and Vida 2012A disc that I purchased in 2013 from the "recommended" seller on Ali Express:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?168150-DICE-units-from-China-%28non-OEM%29-lastest-builds-brief-summary-of-three-suppliers&highlight=shenzen

I never installed it because my computers didn't have the Pro versions of Windows and I am not tech savvy / brave enough to attempt the registry modifications to make it work on them.

So if anyone is interested, make me an offer via PM.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've used this source to buy my VIDA/DICE based on another Forum (matthews) recommendation. As far as I see its 93 USD inc shipping.

Store name: Shenzhen Zeus Technology Co., Ltd.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The hot tip for those of you trying to load DICE on the wrong kind of computer is VMWare. I currently have my 2014D running well on my newest W8 laptop thanks to a virtual machine that is just right for it. Before I was trying to load it on my old laptop which is dog slow and didn't have enough memory for the app loader to be happy with.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The hot tip for those of you trying to load DICE on the wrong kind of computer is VMWare. I currently have my 2014D running well on my newest W8 laptop thanks to a virtual machine that is just right for it. Before I was trying to load it on my old laptop which is dog slow and didn't have enough memory for the app loader to be happy with.
Glad you've mentioned Vmware. That's the easiest way to install VIDA and you can use it regardless of the native OS on your computer (Workstation for Win\Linux and Fusion for OSX). Once you're satisfied with the setup, ex everything works as it should, then just save/backup the virtual machine file to a safe location/external drive. In case if you run into any troubles or your native OS gets corrupt, requires re-install etc. just copy back file into the Virtual Machine folder, re-add the VM image and voila. No need to go trough the trouble again to install everything from the scratch.

I have 2 VMs dedicated to VIDA on my MBP, 2014A and 2014D. (WIN7x64 base/bare system+VIDA)

I would also suggest to install an open source PDF creator in case if you'd like to print out instructions, parts list etc. With this it's easy to share the files via email and no need to go trough the pain of copy-paste into a text file or installing printer drivers on the host(while you still have it on the base OS anyway).
You can also share folders between the host and the native OS and save the pdf's for further use on the native system.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What do you mean by "J2534 pass through"...let's pretend that I don't know **** about a DICE unit :)
J2534 is a Standardized Communication Protocol used by the connected hardware. It allows a external device to communicate with the CANBUS and all the modules on it when using the right software. The "pass through" portion allows the programming and flashing of modules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
got a VIDA 2014D kit from UK domain seller, price is down, 95US$ shipped from Shenzhen as well, load perfectly on Win 7 professional, no VMware. Shipping was fast and the unit works great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
got a VIDA 2014D kit from UK domain seller, price is down, 95US$ shipped from Shenzhen as well, load perfectly on Win 7 professional, no VMware. Shipping was fast and the unit works great.
All sellers has same vida because it is just copy of the original software. Shipping price are insane knowing that it comes from china + VAT and customs taxes.
There are a lot of real UK/EU re-sellers which are selling for the same price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all. I'm searching for VIDA-DICE to use with my 2001 V40 1.9 diesel 115 CV D4192T3. Please, someone knows some model that definitely functions on my car? And also, a link to a serious UK or EU seller, as I found several, but all refers directly to a chinese seller...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts