SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I'm new to SwedeSpeed and Volvos in general. I love my 2019 XC90 Inscription so far. But since I have driven it a few times at night I have noticed the low beams do NOT seem bright enough especially for a newer generation car.
I thought maybe I was crazy at first or just needed getting used to it, but my parents immediately noticed it when we went for a drive at night.
I have driven several different vehicles since 2007 models, and the XC90 just seems to be "dim" on the low beams. Don't get me wrong, the hi-beams are fantastic.
Also there appear to be 8 LEDs on each headlight that do NOT turn on no matter what setting you have your headlights on - even the high beams do not make them come on. I have searched and searched for answers on this and there is nothing to be found on google/youtube.
Please help!
-Jonathan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yup I feel the same the low beams are not as bright as I’d like them to be. At least they appear dimmer than my 2002 Chevy truck retrofitted wit HID projectors.

Those other LEDs you are referring to are fake from my understanding. They do not turn on and are just for looks.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,812 Posts
That's very disappointing to hear about fake LEDs...thanks for the info.
They are there because real LEDs occupy those spaces on European-spec cars and their headlights. Advanced headlight technology is illegal for those of us that have to abide by the backwards, upside down, and stupidly ancient DOT regulations (not kidding), so yeah.
In the U.S and Canadian markets (not sure about Mexico), those spots are left blank. They aren't fake by design -- they're blank by necessity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Adaptive headlights (those blank LEDs in US Volvos but not European specs) will be coming. It was included in the recently passed infrastructure bill. Not sure if the current Volvos can be retrofitted.

As for my low beam headlights, I find them brighter than my prior vehicles.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Adaptive headlights (those blank LEDs in US Volvos but not European specs) will be coming. It was included in the recently passed infrastructure bill. Not sure if the current Volvos can be retrofitted.

As for my low beam headlights, I find them brighter than my prior vehicles.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk
Too bad it won’t be just a software update to just enable a few extra LEDs. That would be like a huge marketing win for Volvo to advertise per safety if the functionality was there but just disabled until it was legal in the US.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hello there! I'm new to SwedeSpeed and Volvos in general. I love my 2019 XC90 Inscription so far. But since I have driven it a few times at night I have noticed the low beams do NOT seem bright enough especially for a newer generation car.
I thought maybe I was crazy at first or just needed getting used to it, but my parents immediately noticed it when we went for a drive at night.
I have driven several different vehicles since 2007 models, and the XC90 just seems to be "dim" on the low beams. Don't get me wrong, the hi-beams are fantastic.
Also there appear to be 8 LEDs on each headlight that do NOT turn on no matter what setting you have your headlights on - even the high beams do not make them come on. I have searched and searched for answers on this and there is nothing to be found on google/youtube.
Please help!
-Jonathan
The low beams on our 2017 Inscription are "bright enough", but the driver's side was far too low to allow for safe driving on dark roads. If you feel up to it, you can manually adjust your low beams up and down individually using a 6mm socket (See the photos). Using our garage wall, I adjusted ours to be just about level with the passenger side lamp. Use a wall or garage while adjusting them to make sure you don't go higher than the passenger level. And if you're able, drive past your 2019 in someone else's car or vice versa to ensure you're not blinding oncoming traffic.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The headlamps were redesigned in 2018 and are now less bright and shorter. But they now have a higher safety rating - the previous ones were effectively rated as creating too much glare and blinding incoming drivers - that is why the 2016 and 2017 SPA cars have low safety ratings on the beams. I noticed a big difference between my 2017 and my gf's 2021.

But the true adaptive lights Volvo has in other markets are awesome... hopefully we get them eventually... but it will be years before the provisions in that bill are implemented.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Volvo low beams on 2021 XC90, on the left side, illuminates less than 140ft (200ft is reccomended):

X5 200ft:

GLE 210ft:

But there are other cars with similar (well, not quite as bad, but below 200 ft) low beams - Q7, Ford Explorer, for example.

As far as high beams go... Volvo has 400 ft on the driver side, at 5 lumen. A "cheap" Explorer with LEDs can do 500+. So no, even the high beams are not-exactly-great:

Truth is, the technology has gotten a lot better. But keep in mind that matrix lights are not 15-year old technology, and we are still waiting... sit in a BMW with laser beams and you see that Volvo's lights, impressive in 2015, are now falling behind...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The low beams of any SPA Volvo are some of the highest rated in the industry. Describing them as "dim" means there is some type of issue 100%. These lights are phenomenal.

The infrastructure bill allows the rules to be changed, but now the process of that is just begninning. It will likely be YEARS before we are allowed to actually use them on the road in this country.

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
345 Posts
Standard (non cornering) LED low beams in wife’s previous ‘19 cx5 touring were noticeably longer reaching than the cornering low beams on out ‘19 t6. It’s always about what you can see, not how bright the lights are. HID low beams on my ‘14 ctsv wagon are bright but put too much light in the foreground, and frankly I can see further with the h13 halogens in my old dodge work truck than i can in the ctsv. I agree that xc90 low beams are marginal at best. I do drive 45 minutes each way to the farm on pitch black country roads, so can usually get a feeling for effectiveness of headlights pretty quick.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It might be worth checking to make sure the headlights are aimed correctly. On my V60, the dropoff was 4" at 25' from the factory. Too low for my taste; I raised it to a 2" dropoff and it' s consideably better. Not as good as our Acura or Porsche, but it's good enough now.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It might be worth checking to make sure the headlights are aimed correctly. On my V60, the dropoff was 4" at 25' from the factory. Too low for my taste; I raised it to a 2" dropoff and it' s consideably better. Not as good as our Acura or Porsche, but it's good enough now.
I live in the country and travel rural two lanes and gravel roads the majority of the time. I've yet to drive a car with notably better lights than the Volvo. If you check out IIHS headlight ratings you will see there is no appreciable difference overall between your Volvo and Mazda lights. What IS very possible is that your lights are aimed too low. Google some headlight comparisons and Volvo pretty much wins every time.

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
345 Posts
Lol, here we go again. Though you do provide some helpful factual information from time to time, most of your “opinions” are borderline propaganda. Just to humor you I looked it up…

‘19 Xc90 inscription trim with advanced package: average rating
L low beam ~150 ft (ideal is 200)
R low beam ~ 280 ft (ideal ~325)
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the sharp right curve, fair on the gradual right curve and inadequate on both left curves.

cx5 sport/touring with I-active sense: good rating
L low beam ~190 ft (200 ideal)
R low beam ~390 for (idea ~325)
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the sharp left and both right curves and fair on the gradual left curve.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Lol, here we go again. Though you do provide some helpful factual information from time to time, most of your “opinions” are borderline propaganda. Just to humor you I looked it up…

‘19 Xc90 inscription trim with advanced package: average rating
L low beam ~150 ft (ideal is 200)
R low beam ~ 280 ft (ideal ~325)
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the sharp right curve, fair on the gradual right curve and inadequate on both left curves.

cx5 sport/touring with I-active sense: good rating
L low beam ~190 ft (200 ideal)
R low beam ~390 for (idea ~325)
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the sharp left and both right curves and fair on the gradual left curve.
You are incorrect, but it’s not even worth my time or effort to explain why……

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T6 AWD
150 Posts
I swear the lights on MY21 XC90 are arguably the beat lights I’ve had on a car. Have driven many cars in my life and to me these are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts