SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im leaving on a trip in two hours, I go to unlock my car this morning and wouldn't you know it, the car doesn't unlock or lock with the remote. I have to use the key blade to get in, and yet I insert the remote and it starts the car and everything.

What the hell?? It was working perfectly fine last night when I locked it. I can't do anything with this remote, inches from the car, inside the car or at normal distance with remote at chin, it doesn't lock or unlock via remote even AFTER a battery change! Do I need to pay $300 or whatever for a new remote?

·
Super Moderator
2,987 Posts
Do you have any other symptoms associated with the "door harness problem"?

Cutting and pasting from the other thread with temp sensor problem.
NO: 36-60
DATE: 10-26-2007
MODEL: S40, V50, C70
M. YEAR: 2006
SUBJECT: Replacement of A-pillar Connectors
REFERENCE: TNN 37-40, VIDA
COMPETENCE: Master or Expert rated technician ONLY

DESCRIPTION:
Customers in S40, V50 and C70 vehicles may report that some electrical door functions do
not operate correctly under certain conditions. Customer symptoms may be associated with
power mirrors, power windows, central locking, retractable hardtop operation, approach
lighting and/or incorrect reading from the ambient temperature indication in the DIM.
The root cause of these (intermittent) symptoms has been found to be fretting corrosion on
the terminals in the A-pillar connector. (Fretting corrosion is caused by the microscopic
movement of two contact points, eventually causing an oxide buildup and resulting in high
contact resistance.)
SERVICE:
Service kits for the replacement of the complete A-pillar connectors have been developed.
The replacement connectors are equipped with both gold and tin plated terminals, as
opposed to only tin plated terminals (original equipment for MY 2006 cars), and are to be
spliced in at the door harness and the dash harness.
If there are customer reported or observed door malfunctions related to the A-pillar
connectors on either side The A-pillar connectors on both sides of the vehicle shall be
replaced

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any other symptoms associated with the "door harness problem"?

Cutting and pasting from the other thread with temp sensor problem.
Maybe, but the windows and mirrors seem to work. I haven't tested them this morning, but I will. I'm on my way to buy a new remote anyways, I need a spare.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was about to suggest using your spare to see if it works.

My fob won't unlock or lock the front passenger door, but everything else is fine (Temp sensor, power mirrors, power windows, approach light).
I might as well buy a new remote then. Damnit, the labour costs more than the remote.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alarm activated actually. The funny thing is, I took the car for a drive, remote works again. Maybe that cold snap and condensation? I dunno. It works fine now. I'm goiing to hold off on the remote purchase. I am driving Toronto to NYC, if a new york volvo dealer gives me a deal on a remote I might do it.

·
Super Moderator
2,987 Posts
Alarm activated actually. The funny thing is, I took the car for a drive, remote works again. Maybe that cold snap and condensation? I dunno. It works fine now. I'm goiing to hold off on the remote purchase. I am driving Toronto to NYC, if a new york volvo dealer gives me a deal on a remote I might do it.
Sounds very much like the harness is at fault. Mine does the same thing, if jiggled enough they work. Sometimes slamming the door hard might do it!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sounds like a door harness issue. Mine does it too when it starts to get colder out. Fob stops, windows don't open. Open and close the door a few times and the issues seem to go away (until the next time anyway).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,

This is an old thread but I'm having the same problem. None of the buttons in either of my fobs work and I can't get into the car!

Is there a way to get into the car without the remotecon the fob? I can't see an actual keyhole to use it like a physical key.

Surely there's got to be a way of getting into the damn car without the remote other than breaking in?

I thought it was the battery but just replaced batteries on both fobs but still not working :-(

It's a 2004 S60R by the way.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
post this to R forum^.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I found the lock. I've had the car wrapped and guy wrapped over the lock. Used a Stanley blade to expose the lock.

So managed to get in but alarm went off soon as opened the door, stopped when started ignition.

Managed to lock it manually but fob still not working.

Bizarre!

·
Registered
526 Posts
My S40 fob stopped working for about 24 hours during this past summer, so I cannot imagine that moisture was a factor. I tried the "driver's door slam" repair and sure enough, all has worked fine since. Fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
goodluck, im sure theyll be able to help you better over there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts