SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Does anyone have some tips on installing rear upper control arm bushings?

They are the rubber kind with a shoulder, that go on the rear of the subframe and on the top of the wheel hub.

Car is a 2004 XC90 D5 AWD

PN: 30748890

The problem I'm having is that the shoulder of the bushing catches the edge of the hole for the bushing, and when I press them in it just rips the rubber off of the inner metal sleeve.

I'm using one of those universal bearing push and pull kits and the subframe is off the car.

Tried using lubricant but it didn't help.

Does anyone have some tips?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello everyone.

Does anyone have some tips on installing rear upper control arm bushings?

They are the rubber kind with a shoulder, that go on the rear of the subframe and on the top of the wheel hub.

Car is a 2004 XC90 D5 AWD

PN: 30748890

The problem I'm having is that the shoulder of the bushing catches the edge of the hole for the bushing, and when I press them in it just rips the rubber off of the inner metal sleeve.

I'm using one of those universal bearing push and pull kits and the subframe is off the car.

Tried using lubricant but it didn't help.

Does anyone have some tips?
Maybe this old thread will help... started near 2 years ago when my rear ones needed replacing. Couple of new additions this year. Scroll down a ways to see pics someone posted of tools and parts involved. And good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It appears that the bushing has to deform considerably as it enters the control arm, and then expand to the original size after insertion. I can see how the shoulder would be sheared off one one end, during the insertion step. Both synthetic and natural rubber becomes more flexible when it is heated, so it might help to soak the bushing in boiling water for a minute or so before attempting to press this part into the control arm. Another possibility would be to compress the shoulder of the bushing with a hose clamp, before insertion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, but that's the wrong bushing.

The bushing I'm seeking help for looks like this

Anyways thanks for replying.
Did you ever figure out how to press this bushing into the wheel hub? If so, let me know because I need help. I'm currently replacing all the rear suspension bushings and I'm having the same problem with this bushing that you had. It seems impossible to get the shoulder through the bore in the wheel hub. I've already ripped one apart trying to press it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember exactly.

What I think I did was to put them in hot water as Eric mentioned, I also used dish soap as a lubricant.

I also remember getting frustrated at them on the subframe side and shaving some off of the shoulder that gets pressed through, I cant guarantee that they work 100% when shaved, but I haven't had problems with them in the year they've been there.

I feel ya, these were the most difficult bushings I've ever replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. And thank you for creating this thread. I will try the hot water soaking and dish soap lubrication.

I laughed when you mentioned the subframe installation of this bushing, because I was also planning to shave off the shoulder when I got to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts