SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the titles says my S60 (2.4t)is not is in a great state at the moment. On the way back from the store I've sprung a leak and my no means a minor one. The majority of the under chasis was coated with oil. The accessory drive was pretty much coated from the the axle forward, oil was spewed up to the the coolant reservoir and the power steering reservoir. Its night I quickly degreased the motor and under chasis the best I could. Nothing shows up on the dip stick.

What might "pop" and cause this leak? I did a minor pull 55-70 and another 30-45. It had to be the last one or I doubt I would have made it (first was 5 miles from home second was less than 2 miles)

Where would you start looking? DO you know of any threads where nearly all oil was lost?

BTW This is a turbo car. Thanks for anything you can post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As the titles says my S60 (2.4t)is not is in a great state at the moment. On the way back from the store I've sprung a leak and my no means a minor one. The majority of the under chasis was coated with oil. The accessory drive was pretty much coated from the the axle forward, oil was spewed up to the the coolant reservoir and the power steering reservoir. Its night I quickly degreased the motor and under chasis the best I could. Nothing shows up on the dip stick.

What might "pop" and cause this leak? I did a minor pull 55-70 and another 30-45. It had to be the last one or I doubt I would have made it (first was 5 miles from home second was less than 2 miles)

Where would you start looking? DO you know of any threads where nearly all oil was lost?

BTW This is a turbo car. Thanks for anything you can post.
Check cam seals. One of mine blew out and I drizzled oil for about a mile.

·
Administrator
55,890 Posts
With the covers off, and it degreased, brake clean will help clear off the oil, check to see if anything is stil seaping. I'd recommend putting in enough oil for the dip stick to register if you plan to have it towed to a shop.

You could try topping off the oil and it start up, let it idle and see where oil is being pushed out. The cam seal sound like it could be the culprit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies and keep them coming.

I think I' wait unti the AM to get some day light and top her off and crack her open. I can get as long as I can get it on the stick in a quart or two maybe three, I'll have a buddy come over and get it on ramps. If not I'll have to scope an open spot and push her over until later in the week. The local Volvo parts & service is not open until Monday :(, but they are less than 2 miles away so...

LMK if you think of any other potential sources for major leaks.

A little more info:
I'm @ 117.4k just changed the oil 300 miles ago, used synthetics since ~60k my OCI averages ~5k lately closer to 3k or less when "flushing her out ~105-110k. I'm assuming it has to be a clamp, gasket, line or seal somewhere. (once again if you think of any ping, if need to resolve this tomorrow parts pending.) This is the most freak accident I could ever fear, but at least I was in the neighborhood when it happened. The oil pressure light never came on so I doubt she is dry (I assume the sensr works as I have seen it come on in really hard rights off throttle)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a quick look under the the timing belt cover there is oil in the cover. LMK if you think of anything else. Looks like I maybe in for a rather large bill :(
What do the cam seals usually cost? and What are they worth?
Can I dog leg it? / Will thicker oil give me a temporary cure?

I'm not really sure what to do, it leaked with a gallon of 5w30 topped off with a qt of 5w20 and any left over 5w40 that was in there. LMK.. IIRC the oil level was a little high, but not much or enough to be noticeable from driver perception. (no perceived drag or loss of power, less than 1/4 overfill)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had to do a RMS. it was not easy or cheap on labour. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I topped it off with a couple quarts this morning raising the level to the mid point of the safe zone, I ran it to attempt to find the leak. I couldn't see it leaking in the timing belt cover with the little inspection cover off. I only ran the car for a few minutes and lost a quart. It was draining from the engine skid plate. I can see in there a little as I have the aluminum for the XC installed, but I don't have much better visibility than the plastic cover. I unable to determine where the leak is; there was minimal splatter coming off the timing belt for the duration of time run and the amount of oil lost while inspecting.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Inguess removing your cover will give you more visibility.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Maybe take the skid plate off to get a better look. My guess is oil cooler line burst.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
How did you know you sprung the leak? the oil light come on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe take the skid plate off to get a better look. My guess is oil cooler line burst.
That was my initial thought, but i thought the lines were for coolant. Oil seems to be sourced from the general vicinity of the oil cool and getting moved around.

I'm waiting on a buddy for some ramps, and its been raining all day. So I'll have to wait for things to clear up here.

When a parking spot opened up here I, idled her out of the driveway and backed into a spot w/o any oil loss ??? if the oil cooler has a thermostat that could explain the zero loss and zero drain. Both my driveway and the parking lot are graded to run off, being backed in I should quickly notice any leakage and its been sitting for a few hours there and 10-12 last night / this morning. I can confirm the leak requires pressure, and seemingly more than idle. Simply put more pressure, more flow, more leak :(

As I stated earlier there is some oil under the timing belt cover. I removed the small one it splattered 20-30 drops on the firewall and lines behind the engine. I misted it with water untill clean (while idleing.) A few minutes into this there was no oil on the ground. I hopped inside gave her some revs and held engine speed, to simulate a short drive. The timing belt didn't splatter any more dropplets. The timing belts itself was was air dried and cleaned by the process. under the skid I collected about a quart of dirty oil, seems much dirtier than on the dip stick (oil has less than 500m on it) That is all I could get in before the rain, it starting to dry up any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How did you know you sprung the leak? the oil light come on?
Oil got sprayed / carried by the air and splattered on the exhaust pipes, my wife and I could smell the burn off. Once we parked the smoke was heavy enough the interior still stunk this morning. We had nice weather last night and had the roof & windows open. We lost 2-2.5qt, no oil light, no funny noises or anything.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You should not use the car that condition

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm not using it, the idling low revs where in the driveway was other than that I rolled it in idle 20' to park it. Tomorrow, I'll have to drive the car that was in the driveway behind it to work :( I'll try to get a three day schedule this coming week, get it on the ramps and see where this leak is coming from. I have a few degreasers around here, something should clean it well enough for me to find the leak.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Go to your local autozone, sears, etc and buy a jack and stands, time to get your hands dirt, you can do your oil changes also later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not the oil cooler seals, :(. I've completely removed the timing belt cover, the oil leak appears to be from below. there was just enough oil film it was hard to tell where. So I degreased it last night and let her dry overnight. To day I'll have a couple sets of hands, and I'm going to narrow down what/where it is. ATM im fairly positive its the front main seal, lmk if you have any how to links, etc. thanks for all the input,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine just blew out 30 minutes into a 4 hours drive. Lost all of my oil really fast too, but luckily turned off the engine and coasted into a parking lot.

You should consider changing the Tbelt, I'm going to even though I just changed it 6k miles ago. Too much oil all over it.

You should also consider the PCV system, which I'm pretty sure is the root of the seal blow out.

Be thankful it was the front seal, and not the RMS.

I can try to take pictures as I go, if you like. Looks like it will take about 3 hours, the hardest part being the removal of the crank pulley.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
cooler seals?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I originally though twas front main and oil being carried up. Actually turned out to be an extremely fine mist of oil front he cam seals raining down, accumulating and drip from the general vicinity of the crank. This couldn't be seen until I degreased the front of the engine. Timing Belt was done ~12k ago, it would be nice if the "advisor" was more than a secretary with a different title and an actual liaison for customer and mechanic. I've been reading up and seeing the PCV mentioned allot. Are there anything else that should be done with these services?

What is the cost or estimate I should expect?

I plan on pricing this out, there are 3 dealers and one Volvo specific indi that I know of with in reason. I've towed it once to a friends house where I tore her down. So I could get another vehicle carrier and drag it to a shop. But its kind of whats it cost vs the value? I'm trying to figure out is she worth repairing to sell, keep or should I unload her as a "mechanics" special. BTW I am in South FL (Broward County), the car is in a garage atm (in Dade County). No one I know has tools to do this; the neighborhood mechanic says take her to Volvo. But if a "Volvo" mechanic replies to me we can talk and work out a price both of us can live with; I'm willing to pick up or use parts supplied by them. I'd like to get this job done at a price one can bare in this economy. I've also considered soliciting mechanics at the dealer a few blocks from my condo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts