SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pull into a convenient store or something like that and the wife and kids are in the car. I am only going to be gone a sec. so I don't want the engine to shut off. As soon as I open my driver's side door though it cuts off. But sometimes it doesn't. I have not been able to figure out what prompts the engine to shut off or stay on? Keeping my foot on the brake while opening the door does not seem to affect it as it still seems random (it has shut off with foot on brake and without). My particular V-60 does not have the keyless drive feature. So, what am I missing? THANKS!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
So I pull into a convenient store or something like that and the wife and kids are in the car. I am only going to be gone a sec. so I don't want the engine to shut off. As soon as I open my driver's side door though it cuts off. But sometimes it doesn't. I have not been able to figure out what prompts the engine to shut off or stay on? Keeping my foot on the brake while opening the door does not seem to affect it as it still seems random (it has shut off with foot on brake and without). My particular V-60 does not have the keyless drive feature. So, what am I missing? THANKS!
If the key is in the ignition and you never pressed the Start/Stop button than I would say take this to the dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that your V60 does have the Drive-E 2.0L turbo (T5 FWD)? If so, perhaps this is a function of the Auto Start/Stop Function? The first thing I do before I shift my T6 Drive-E into gear is to DEACTIVATE the Auto Start/Stop, so I don't know this for certain. I spent a few minutes reading about it in the manual just now and it seems that the car may Auto-Stop in some cases and not in seemingly identical circumstances for a number of reasons (but that should be triggered by the car coming to a stop and/or shifting into Park, NOT opening the driver's door, I would think).

Do you use the ECO button? If so, I wonder if it could be part of the problem? I played with the ECO button for a few minutes the day I got my T6 and decided never to bother with it again.

I'm basically thinking out loud (or on screen, rather) here and probably not helping.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's the auto-stop functionality behaving as it should. There's a little button at the center/bottom of your console keypad just forward of the shifter. It's a letter "A" with an arrow around it. Press that button so that the green light is off, then see if the car shuts off upon parking and opening the door. It won't (and if it does you have a problem).

- Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ah, so if I'm in eco and the @ is active, the door opening kills the engine completely?
The A inside the circle is the Auto Stop/Start function and it is automatically enabled when you start the engine. As I mentioned earlier, the first thing I do when I start my T6 Drive-E is press that button to DEACTIVATE the Auto Stop/Start. Unfortunately, it has to be done every time you start the car because it defaults to ON.

The ECO button makes the Auto Stop/Start behave more aggressively (engine may shut off while slowing to a stop rather than waiting for car to completely stop) and it affects numerous other systems of the car. The climate control functions at reduced capacity, anything drawing excessive charge from the battery (even the high-end audio system on the Platinum) are put into a reduced-funcitonality state. In ECO, there is no engine braking and the car is allowed to coast instead. It's a ridiculous trade-off for negligible fuel savings! Be thankful for small favors, the ECO function has to be enabled each time the car is started and isn't ON by default.

Over the long haul, I suspect the wear and tear from continuous stopping and starting will be much more costly than any fuel savings! It would be less annoying if it wasn't so noticeable when the engine re-starts abruptly over and over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The A inside the circle is the Auto Stop/Start function and it is automatically enabled when you start the engine. As I mentioned earlier, the first thing I do when I start my T6 Drive-E is press that button to DEACTIVATE the Auto Stop/Start. Unfortunately, it has to be done every time you start the car because it defaults to ON.

The ECO button makes the Auto Stop/Start behave more aggressively (engine may shut off while slowing to a stop rather than waiting for car to completely stop) and it affects numerous other systems of the car. The climate control functions at reduced capacity, anything drawing excessive charge from the battery (even the high-end audio system on the Platinum) are put into a reduced-funcitonality state. In ECO, there is no engine braking and the car is allowed to coast instead. It's a ridiculous trade-off for negligible fuel savings! Be thankful for small favors, the ECO function has to be enabled each time the car is started and isn't ON by default.

Over the long haul, I suspect the wear and tear from continuous stopping and starting will be much more costly than any fuel savings! It would be less annoying if it wasn't so noticeable when the engine re-starts abruptly over and over.
I always wondered if the savings on Eco would be advantageous after a certain number of miles of freeway/highway driving: say a run of 100-200 miles at a time going 70 or so MPH (or whatever the sweet spot is). At first I disliked the start/stop. I guess I'm used to it now. But often in the city, I'm just throwing the transmission into Sport mode. You need to be able to make left turns quickly in this town!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ah, so if I'm in eco and the @ is active, the door opening kills the engine completely?
No. Eco has nothing to do with the engine stopping when you're parked. Eco being on will shut the engine off once you slow down to 4mph rather than waiting til you've come to a complete stop, which is how stop/start functions normally.

Eco's primary function is to disengage the car's wheels from its drive train which allows the car to maintain significantly more momentum when rolling at high speeds, while also drastically reducing the engine's RPM during this time. So, the car maintains more momentum and the engine sips fuel simultaneously which can result in some very nice efficiency gains especially on flat or very gently rolling terrain. In some scenarios I can coast for over a minute on the highway and maintain ample speed using this feature.

Most people on the forum express annoyance and criticism at anything that's-efficiency related on these cars. I don't use those features all the time either, but when you're coasting on the highway in light traffic I personally don't know why you wouldn't use the Eco feature (once you've turned your AC back on with the push of a button). Give it a try and see what you think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I misspoke; I understand Eco and stop/start and enjoy coasting and saving gas. I guess I was wondering why, if the engine is bypassed and the car is not moving, the door opening causes it to cut off completely. Why can't I go into the grocery store for a minute with the engine disengaged? Does my car think that because I opened the door, I will probably be gone for too long for it to provide my passengers with enough ac or heat (too much strain on the battery)? I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I am missing..if it presumes that I am at my final destination, why wouldn't it do so as well when the feature is overridden?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know what you mean. I had the same thought when I got my car about 18 months ago..... if you have auto-shutoff engaged and you roll to a stoplight, the engine cuts off temporarily until you release the brake. But, if you open the door while parked and auto-shutoff is engaged the car just assumes your trip is over and shuts the engine off for good. Maybe it's because once you leave the car your foot is already off the brake and the car has no way of knowing when to restart the engine at that point? Or maybe it's because the car is designed to be in that particular mode only for short periods to minimize the electrical drain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[QUOTE= Maybe it's because once you leave the car your foot is already off the brake and the car has no way of knowing when to restart the engine at that point?

Hadn't thought about it that way but shouldn't it recognize when the car is put back into gear and THAT would trigger the engine back on. It's annoying to have to deactivate the auto stop/start to keep the car on while going on a short errand.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maybe it's because once you leave the car your foot is already off the brake and the car has no way of knowing when to restart the engine at that point? Hadn't thought about it that way but shouldn't it recognize when the car is put back into gear and THAT would trigger the engine back on. It's annoying to have to deactivate the auto stop/start to keep the car on while going on a short errand.[/QUOTE said:
No, because the car can't be put in gear when the engine isn't running.

I guess I would ask you how often you run into buildings while leaving your car running outside? Does that happen with that much frequency that this will really bother you? If so, you'll hopefully get into the mental habit of disabling as you pull up to the bank / store / seven-eleven.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would guess that it's a safety feature. If you pull into your garage and put it in park, get a little distracted and exit the car while it's still technically on, you wouldn't want the motor to start back up again when the battery runs down. Toyota was sued for this happening a while ago, after carbon monoxide unfortunately entered an elderly couple's home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, because the car can't be put in gear when the engine isn't running.
Why? The car can be taken out of gear when the engine is bypassed - I shift into park when the the engine is already bypassed as the car is stopped. If it can go from drive to park why not the other way around? It's not that big of a hassle but seems cumbersome for the engine to disengage as I stop, then reengage when I press the button, only for me to be gone a minute. Doesn't starting the engine of a car cause a lot of wear on the motor? In a nutshell, I'm wondering if there is less of a load put on the engine when auto stop/start re-engages than when starting the engine when it is completely off. Is the only difference that the engine is typically already warm when stop/start engages; hence less wear? Or is there an engineering difference?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would guess that it's a safety feature. If you pull into your garage and put it in park, get a little distracted and exit the car while it's still technically on, you wouldn't want the motor to start back up again when the battery runs down. Toyota was sued for this happening a while ago, after carbon monoxide unfortunately entered an elderly couple's home.
Makes sense; I'm sure that's it. Hope the elderly couple survived (but I'm guessing no).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts