SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I've been STFA and looking things through and want to make my 240 Wagon go faster.

I recently picked her up and she has 153k miles on the clock. It's an automatic but its a very clean car, just not too quick.

How easy/difficult is it to bolt a turbo setup on these? I haven't seen a howto or step-by-step (or even a parts list) of what's needed to add a turbo.

I will have suspension components on the way (IPD springs, sway bars and new front shocks) to get me started. I also have a set of 15" rims that I need to put on the car.

I saw a howto on another forum on converting to a manual transmission. I may be interested in doing this myself if I can find the parts. Has anyone here done this before?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Howdy!

I've been STFA and looking things through and want to make my 240 Wagon go faster.

I recently picked her up and she has 153k miles on the clock. It's an automatic but its a very clean car, just not too quick.

How easy/difficult is it to bolt a turbo setup on these? I haven't seen a howto or step-by-step (or even a parts list) of what's needed to add a turbo.

I will have suspension components on the way (IPD springs, sway bars and new front shocks) to get me started. I also have a set of 15" rims that I need to put on the car.

I saw a howto on another forum on converting to a manual transmission. I may be interested in doing this myself if I can find the parts. Has anyone here done this before?

Thank you!
Welcome to Swedespeed, Jonathan.

The T+ turbo upgrade on your 114hp B230F engine is an easy do as is the swap to a manual shift (true 5-speed).

Follow up with an ipd street cam, adjustable timing gear, over-sized throttlebody, modified fresh air box, free-flow sport exhaust, fat tires/wheels, poly bushes, sway bars, sport lowering springs and some high-powered headlights then hit the streets with your $10,000 '93 245T!

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Do you mean go faster in a straight line, or go faster in the corners? For the former all you need is the biggest turbo you can find; if the latter, first train the driver and then improve the suspension and handling. Remember the old racer's adage "straights are for fast cars; corners are for fast drivers." :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed, Jonathan.

The T+ turbo upgrade on your 114hp B230F engine is an easy do as is the swap to a manual shift (true 5-speed).

Follow up with an ipd street cam, adjustable timing gear, over-sized throttlebody, modified fresh air box, free-flow sport exhaust, fat tires/wheels, poly bushes, sway bars, sport lowering springs and some high-powered headlights then hit the streets with your $10,000 '93 245T!

George Dill
Oh, c'mon George! Don't scare him off with a $10k figure like that! I only spent $6K!!:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!

As a former owner of an Audi S4, I know all about how fun/expensive modding can be. I essentially got this car for "free" (long story; I traded a land rover I had for it.)

I want both more HP and more skill; But the engine in this car feels "tired" in some ways and just lags along. I doubt I have 100 of the original 114 ponies. I think the swap to the manual will help (I miss having a manual transmission.) I'm probably going to go with bilstein shocks all the way around and the IPD lowering springs. I found a transmission from a '93 sedan at a local junkyard, so I'm going to pick that up with the pedal assembly, driveshaft, bellhousing, clutch linkage, etc. Although 14" rims are on the car, I have a set of 15" I will put on in the next hour or so :D

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement!

As a former owner of an Audi S4, I know all about how fun/expensive modding can be. I essentially got this car for "free" (long story; I traded a land rover I had for it.)

I want both more HP and more skill; But the engine in this car feels "tired" in some ways and just lags along. I doubt I have 100 of the original 114 ponies. I think the swap to the manual will help (I miss having a manual transmission.) I'm probably going to go with bilstein shocks all the way around and the IPD lowering springs. I found a transmission from a '93 sedan at a local junkyard, so I'm going to pick that up with the pedal assembly, driveshaft, bellhousing, clutch linkage, etc. Although 14" rims are on the car, I have a set of 15" I will put on in the next hour or so :D
Might want to run a compression test and leak-down test on the motor before installing engine mods.

George Dill

·
Registered
568 Posts
+1 These B230's, for the most part, are tired. The best method to actually wake the car up is to find a 93+ turbo motor and rebuild it. As long as your car has LH2.4 fuel injection and not 3.1 (a lot of 93's were) the ICU and ECU from a 940 turbo just plugs in. I did the swap in my 89 245 and it was an extremely dependable daily driver with 275-300 ponies under the hood. I'd still be driving it except I plundered the drive train for my GT resto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that's an idea...

+1 These B230's, for the most part, are tired. The best method to actually wake the car up is to find a 93+ turbo motor and rebuild it. As long as your car has LH2.4 fuel injection and not 3.1 (a lot of 93's were) the ICU and ECU from a 940 turbo just plugs in. I did the swap in my 89 245 and it was an extremely dependable daily driver with 275-300 ponies under the hood. I'd still be driving it except I plundered the drive train for my GT resto.
Now that sounds interesting, and the local junkyard (I scoured 3 today and found a manual for the B230) has a few of these. I had no idea you could do this. Hmmmm. Most of the stuff at the junkyard had sideways engines and not longitudinal, though. Would those work? (they had a '97 850 and other similar stuff.)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sure, folks have dropped in 5 cylinder AND 6 cylinder white block motors into rwd cars. A bit more work...and transmissions become an issue. The 93+ turbo motors had piston oil squirters so theoretically they should have less wear. The only real difference between the motors in the 7's / 9's and the 240 configuration is that, since they had cam mounted dizzies, the intermediate shaft more than likely has no drive gear for a block mounted dizzie. The motor sits a bit further back in a 240 and a cam mount dizzie just won't fit so you swap in the intermediate shaft from your existing motor as well as the dizzie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts