SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I did the shim fix for the ac compressor last night on my 96 850 turbo, before this the ac would work nicely but eventually cut out, it had plenty of r134a and the compressor worked fine.<p>Last night I shimmed the compressor clutch with the plastic bread bag closers, turned it on and things seemed great.<p>Today however I went on a 3 hour drive and right after we left the ac/blower started doing wacky things - it turned on, turned off went up and down cold, warm, on off, it basically started doing what ever it wanted regardless of the position of the switches.<p>After a while of leaving it alone it eventually kicked in and was blowing ice cold and seemed to be working very nicely, every now and then it would just shut off - no air blowing through the vents - the compressor didnt go on it was almost as if the power was pulled. Finally in the last leg of the drive it went nuts.<p>The system started blowing warm - ambient temp. air - at full speed and there was no way to shut it off, I couldnt get it to stop blowing air.<p>Eventually I pulled over popped the hood - the compressor clutch was not going on - but it seemed like there was no control over the whole air system in the car. * note * the pressure at the high end with the car off was about 100 psi - is this normal<p>I doubt that there is a problem with the compressor as that wouldnt explain why I couldnt shut the fan off or control anything else.<br>I didnt check the compressor but from what I read here if I jump the compressor plug by the inside of the engine bay near the passenger comp. it would turn on the compressor letting me know if that is indeed the problem - if I am wrong about this can someone please let me know.<p><br>at the end the fan was blowing so strong it became really annoying so I just pulled the whole air control unit (on top of the radio) out of the car and unplugged it - thereby shutting off the fan.<p><br>sorry for the long post but whats the deal ? did I kill things with the shimming ? is there a fuse or relay I should check out ?<p>I checked fuse # 31 under the hood which says its for the ac system but it was fine<p>My last thought is the whole air control unit that I pulled - maybe that just failed - is this a possibility ?<p>thanks

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
It sounds like your ECC has gone bad. This would have nothing to do with what you did with the AC compressor. Are there any light blinking on the ECC?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts