SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i went out to start the car and it started fine, about 10sec. later it stalled....... I then cycled the key to try-in hear the fuel pump-nothining. Came back about 20min later and it fire up again, then stalled out again.....So i pulled the pump relay out to override it with a jumper and it fire up and stayed running..But when the relay is put in it fires up then dies and you have to wait again..

????????

1. How many amp's should the fuel pump be pulling (was told by a local mech. that the pump may pulling to many amps and opening up the relay contacts :confused:)
2.Does the fp relay close when the key goes to the start position and then when the car starts is there voltage from the coil to hold it closed until the car shuts off

Any imput appreciated-

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
808 Posts
Replace the relay! It's most likely bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Got the Same problem! Volvo 2000 s70 2.4 none turbo.

I wonder if the fuel pump relay is a common problem for older the S70 Volvo's?

I just ordered a fuel pump relay and it will arrive tomorrow. I hope this solves the problem because it's lasted for months now. I thought I had water in the gas from rain because my old mechanic said I did and charged me $300 to clean the tank. It seem to happen after it rained. I changed out the fuel pump and filter and cleaned the gas tank. It would run fine for a week and I thought I had solved the problem only to be surprised and disappointed. It would usually start up fine and then after about a mile of driving stall out. I would let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes and it would start again. I will let you know if it solves the problem. If it doesn't I think I will take it for a final ocean cliff side drive)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solved the Problem!

ok, it's been a week since I replaced the fuel pump relay and it seems to have fixed the problem. Yah!!, no more stalling out along side the road I hope. Thanks for your help guys.:):):):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Avboden I am hoping I just need a relay then...
The other day when the gas tank got below 1/2 the car sputtered out and I pulled over and turned the car off.- Felt exactly like running out of gas. The car accelerates great at full throttle when there is above 1/2 a tank which makes me think it may not be the fuel pump- Do you guys think its a fuel pump relay issue?
98V70R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts