SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my car inspected for the first time since I owned it and it failed because of not ready codes for the evaporative system and oxygen sensor heater. The rest of the redness codes were good, and I have no OBDII check engine codes. I have driven for few thousand miles since I last reset my ECU. Since I failed inspection last week I reverted from my Hilton tune back to the stock tune thinking this might have been the problem, and reset the ECU. I drove a few times one the stock tune and all the other readiness codes are good again except the two trouble makers. I can pass inspection with one not ready code so I only need to fix 1 of the 2.

Any input would be appreciated. I have vida/dice but haven't got the software to work yet, but haven't tried that hard. I am going to try to get it working later today if I have time.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Assuming its not a damaged wire or bad connection, the O2 issue sounds like its heater element may have died so try replacing it to see if that gets rid of that error and makes you good to go.

If you say you have no OBDII codes and no Vida, then how are you finding these errors? I was under the impression that state emission checks only look at your car's systems via OBDII.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The evap code could be ECM software related. There's a TNN for the 04 cars for it. If you need VIDA help let me know!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The vehicle need's to go through a "Drive Cycle". There is probably nothing wrong but all Readiness Monitors need to be set. Driving only a few miles does not set all monitors. A proper full drive cycle starts with a cold engine start, idling, gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4, light in town driving and highway driving. It involves almost 25 miles of "typical" driving in order to set all readiness monitors. If you have no faults stored or pending, you just need to keep driving it until your monitors set. It can sometimes take what seems like days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Assuming its not a damaged wire or bad connection, the O2 issue sounds like its heater element may have died so try replacing it to see if that gets rid of that error and makes you good to go.
Now that I think of it I replaced the front 02 sensor what I installed a new down pipe almost 2 years ago, I could not get the old O2 sensor out of the old down pipe. I looked at the open loop / closed loop status when with the torque app when I cold started my car this morning and it said closed loop with 20 s (did not actually time it) of idling so that makes me think the heater is working.

If you say you have no OBDII codes and no Vida, then how are you finding these errors? I was under the impression that state emission checks only look at your car's systems via OBDII.
Emission inspection is OBDII only. I could not check readiness with the torque app, I got a free android app called OBD Auto Doctor to check readiness codes. I hope that when I get time to get VIDA working it will shed so light on the problem.

The evap code could be ECM software related. There's a TNN for the 04 cars for it.
Can you point me to this TNN. I looked at the thread bellow and only evap related TNN was TNN28-145 which is for 2005. Google searching also turned up TNN 28-74-2008-01-03, but I don't think that's my problem as I don't have a check engine light.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?72251-VOLVO-TNN-Reference-List

The vehicle need's to go through a "Drive Cycle".
I found a Volvo drive cycles on the internet, but they did not say what year/generation it was for. I will keep driving it to and from work all week, but that's only 6 miles each way.

I will post am update when I make any progress.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
20 seconds is long enough for your exhaust gasses to get the O2 sensor up to temp. That error means that the control circutry for the O2 sensor has an open loop in the heater, if ts not a bad wire or plug issue.

Its technically something you can live without since its just there to make the O2 sensor get up to operating temp faster than it would without so you spend less time polluting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the 02 heater readiness code to go from incomplete to complete today. I had the key in the on position (II) for about a minute before I started the car, I figured this would get the O2 heater a head start. Torque app went from open loop to closed loop in about 10 seconds. Not 100% sure of cause and effect, but it worked.

The evap test still hasn't run, buy I can pass inspection without one complete readiness code. All I need to do it get it reinspected and give Texas $200 for license plates and registration.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Stuck with the evap not being ready too. completed 2 of these Volvo drive cycles:

drive 45-50 mph for 20 minutes. idle 5 minutes. 45-50 mph for 20 minutes. turn off for 30 minutes.
Repeat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts