SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my car this afternoon and noticed that while in second gear at low rpms with the pedal down completely, I could hear the engine in a lot deeper tone than normal...you know the sound that NA cars produce with cone intakes.
As I got in into the higher RPM region, I noticed a lack of power...and quickly realized that somewhere a turbo hose/pipe had to become somewhat loose.

Has anyone had this happen or could recommend a place that this might happen? The intake plumbing is already a tight fit and I don't have a lift to throw my car on to properly diagnose this. But I know by the noise produced at WOT, something is loose.

It hasn't become completely disconnected because there is some boost, but I'm guessing no more than 50% of what it should be.

Thanks in advance guys!

Matt

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Help!! Disconnected Turbo Piping....But Where?!?! (phuz)

The charge pipe can come off at the turbo, but you will certainly notice that, it comes out with a loud bang and the car goes into limp mode. That should happen regardless of the joint that blows, the pressure is high enough to do that. A hose that's blown totally out is fairly easy to find, just shake'em to see if they feel loose.

It may be that it's the intake hose between the turbo and the airbox that is leaking, or you go a hole somewhere.

The upper hoses can be inspected without lifting the car, but the intercooler-ETM pipe is buried pretty deep.

I changed a better clamp to the upper charge pipe, the original was bent at service and was not tight enough.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It cant be between the turbo and the airbox, because that wouldn't affect the boost. It is somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold. Also if it was between the turbo and airbox, it wouldnt make a very deep sound since the turbo muffles it quite a bit. I'm pretty sure its not at the turbo itself because there is some boost getting to the manifold, but definitely not the full amount. This is a 5spd. I don't believe there is such a "limp" mode on manuals is there?

I will try checking what I can tomorrow. I just hope its visible and reachable with a standard flat head screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (phuz)

You're probably right. A leak in the intake would not reduce power as such, unless it affects MAF. And I don't know if MAF malfunction would cause that much power loss. My car made this horrible wheezing sound when the charge pipe was loose, not a deep intake note, but maybe it's different if the hose comes off at the ETM end. How do you know you're getting boost by the way? Do you have a gauge?

Manuals do have a limp mode too. The ECU limits the revs and whatnot. I could not go faster than 45mph in the limp mode. The trip computer screen shows reduced performance mode or something like that.

The upper clamp is easiest to tighten with a 10mm wrench.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a gauge, but feeling boost isn't something you can screw up.
I've been driving turbos every since I started driving and its a feeling I'm used to.

I tightened the left side of the intercooler pipe about 2 turns and the right side about a turn since they were somewhat loose.
I seem to have most of my power back, but I'm beginning to wonder if all of them are that loose. I will check later, but for now, it at least feels like it used to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts