SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS there or is there not a transmission filter? I ordered one off the internet and have it here in front of me with gasket. i went to the dealer to get trans fluid and they said there is no filter or trans pan. They took me into the shop and showed me a similar car to mine and showed me no pan.

There are so many parts companies across the internet that offer a transmission filter and gasket set for my exact car all the way to 2007. I have the AW 55/50 trans just like most everyone does and my filter kit says AW 55/50 Volvo S60 FWD 01-07 on it.

Who is right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure, whatever I need to do to do it... but the local dealer swears there is no filter and that they just flush out systems. how much work is involved to do it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in other words, if i have to remove serious internal transmission parts to do it, then I dont think I want to get that involved unless it is important that the filters get changed. I have 194k on mine and am 3rd owner so I am not sure if it has been done before. transmission fluid looks lite brown but not black.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
in most of the cars you need to remove the valve body to replace the filter if there is any, that means not just a flush, involves more work than normal. Just remember, doing a tranny flush can be good or bad, i have seen tranny goes bad after flush cause some really small debris will stock inside.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
There is NO filter, period
Some people install an Magnafine filter....externally

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the Filter. It is located behind the VB and too much for me to remove and I consider myself a better than the average mechanic.
go here to see the filter location: http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/AW-55-50SN.html
click on the breakdown on top, look in the middle of the left side screen and it says filter.

Now comes the fun part, taking the print out to the local dealer and showing them that there is a filter and what are they doing about replacing them.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Is there a proble with the tranny right now? I would not open a tranny just for a filter. The chace of the tranny goes bad after that is too much

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a noise every now and then, and no, I will not be doing this job. I might drain the fluid and replace it, but I have no plans to even do a flush. So now, I have a filter and gasket to just put on a shelf or sell it or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A flush with at least 12 qts of Mobil 3309 would probably be your best bet. Its very easy to do with the IPD kit, might take you half an hour. You just need a helper to switch the engine off and on.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
These transmissions are designed to be 0 Maintenance. Although we all know how much water that holds.

With proper flushes and not abusing your trans it shouldn't need a filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts