SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have extensivly researched how to remove the collar sleeve (angle gear sleeve) for a 2004 s60R and I can not get the sleeve removed. I have heated the sleeve, I have used vice grips, I have made notches in the sleeve and used a puller and the sleeve has not budged an inch. I am looking for any additional suggestions of how to get the sleeve off. At this point the car is not drivable. I have all the parts to replace the angle gear I just can't remove the collar sleeve.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
There have been several instances (mine included) where the collar was frozen to the trans output shaft and the transmission itself had to be replaced even though there was nothing wrong with it.
I think I remember someone talking about making 2 cuts the length of the collar 180 degrees apart so the collar would essentially be split in 2. Will that work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sleeve is now beyond repair to put the original angle gear back on. Is there away to remove the rear drive shaft, throw the angle gear in the garbage, reinstall the front passenger axle and drive the car as is?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What I did was took a huge pair of locking vice grips and connected them to a slide hammer and just banged that Fuc*ker out... Sounds like yours might be literally screwed... The way I see it is that sure you can put the axle back in without the angle gear, remove the rear drive shaft and drive just fine. However, im sure you will run into some issues with the exposed seals...maybe? Maybe you can be a test subject out this? Best of luck sir!

·
Registered
621 Posts
There have been several instances (mine included) where the collar was frozen to the trans output shaft and the transmission itself had to be replaced even though there was nothing wrong with it.
I think I remember someone talking about making 2 cuts the length of the collar 180 degrees apart so the collar would essentially be split in 2. Will that work?
Slicing the Collar the full length on the 180 axis will not allow for removal of the collar. You will need to make multiple slices (5 at least) at the angle of the splines and then pry or bang the sleeve off. Don't let a dealer fool you into thinking you need a new trans. Only if the splines on the output shaft of the trans or the angle gear have been sheered down will you need new shafts.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was in your shoes. How big of a puller are you using? How much heat (MAP gas or just propane)? Have you given it a hyperteutic shock or two just after heat with a BFH?

I decided that I was going to do one of the following:

A) Destroy my perfectly good transmission myself in the attempt so that I wouldn't feel so bad
B) Break my 3-jaw 5-ton puller
C) Break my 1/2" drive ratchet that had an 18" pipe on the end of it
D) Pull all the muscles in my arm
E) Run out of MAP gas (Propane won't do, MAP gas that thing RED hot, you gotta replace the seals anyway)
F) Pass out from exhaustion under the car after an 11 hour battle with that f-cker

It WILL come off. Just depends on if you have the right tools and enough perserverance. I got discouraged after about 4-6 hours, took a break, drank a beer, then went back at it and gave it hell.

FWIW, I was on my back in a semi-heated garage.

It WILL come off, or at least break something trying......but don't get hurt.

Remember, it is epoxied onto the transmission output shaft. You have to get all the epoxy slivers out of the trans shaft splines before reinstalling the new one.

I started with a 2-jaw puller but it quickly slid off center, 3-jaw is a must. At about hour 10 in the battle I noticed that I had moved it about 2mm. It still took another hour to pull it the rest of the way off: heat, shock, pull, rotate, heat, shock, pull, rotate, heat........

Here is some motivation:

I get a lot of questions about my paperweight.

Oh yeah.....FWD sucks.....don't give up.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
With all this work to get it off the one end, why hasn't anyone epoxied the splines to the angle gear? what does the other side (trans side) look like on the inside of the gear?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was in your shoes. How big of a puller are you using? How much heat (MAP gas or just propane)? Have you given it a hyperteutic shock or two just after heat with a BFH?

I decided that I was going to do one of the following:

A) Destroy my perfectly good transmission myself in the attempt so that I wouldn't feel so bad
B) Break my 3-jaw 5-ton puller
C) Break my 1/2" drive ratchet that had an 18" pipe on the end of it
D) Pull all the muscles in my arm
E) Run out of MAP gas (Propane won't do, MAP gas that thing RED hot, you gotta replace the seals anyway)
F) Pass out from exhaustion under the car after an 11 hour battle with that f-cker

It WILL come off. Just depends on if you have the right tools and enough perserverance. I got discouraged after about 4-6 hours, took a break, drank a beer, then went back at it and gave it hell.

FWIW, I was on my back in a semi-heated garage.

It WILL come off, or at least break something trying......but don't get hurt.

Remember, it is epoxied onto the transmission output shaft. You have to get all the epoxy slivers out of the trans shaft splines before reinstalling the new one.

I started with a 2-jaw puller but it quickly slid off center, 3-jaw is a must. At about hour 10 in the battle I noticed that I had moved it about 2mm. It still took another hour to pull it the rest of the way off: heat, shock, pull, rotate, heat, shock, pull, rotate, heat........

Here is some motivation:

I get a lot of questions about my paperweight.

Oh yeah.....FWD sucks.....don't give up.

-Ben
This is exactly what I did. It took 8 hrs to get it off the trans shaft. Do not give up. Use a 3 jaw puller, 32mm socket, and a long breaker bar. Use map gas.

·
Registered
844 Posts
With all this work to get it off the one end, why hasn't anyone epoxied the splines to the angle gear? what does the other side (trans side) look like on the inside of the gear?
If both ends are glued, then one could never pull the angle gear off to service any seals anywhere in that area.

I guess you mean epoxy the sleeve to the angle gear splines after the new sleeve is installed on the trans spline first.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
My thought exactly!

If both ends are glued, then one could never pull the angle gear off to service any seals anywhere in that area.
oh, that's why.. :D

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Does it even need the epoxy? Is it there because of the poor original fitment? That's what I recall, what a shame...

·
Registered
844 Posts
No epoxy needed anymore. New part number for sleeve takes care of the original poor fitment. You do recall correctly what should be a RECALL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice. I notched two holes in the sleeve and used a 5 ton puller but that did not do the trick so tomorrow I'm going to weld a three prong puller to the sleeve and heat the hell out of it and see if that works. I will take pics and post them. Hopefully this will work.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Before you weld, is there any room to drill two holes and use one of your notches as the 3rd hole? Man, I know what u are going through, I almost gave up as well, but right at the 8th hour it came off. You'll get it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i started with drilling two holes, 180 degrees apart. when that failed, i drilled two more at 120 degrees apart.....probably ran thru 4-5 drill sizes working up to 1/2" bit.....which was just right for the teeth on my puller to firmly engage into.

Also, if you resort to shocking it with a BFH, make sure to rotate the trans shaft between impacts so that you don't create any uneven plastic deformation in the output shaft.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

I guess you mean epoxy the sleeve to the angle gear splines after the new sleeve is installed on the trans spline first.
Yeah. I guess how important are the seals if you epoxy it into being "one unit"? Then you jsut have a big Angle gear/Collargear/tranny oil bath. Until it all explodes and you have to buy it all new anyways.

Matt, Thanks for the "seemed like a good idea at first..." affirmation.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.