SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So washed the car today as I typically do before taking it into the mechanic.

Did the usual engine bay. Used a pressure washer but stood ~8-10 feet back so water didn't have any pressure behind it.

Did a few errands after washing that included multiple engine stop/starts.

Got into the car tonight to drop it off and car has power and lights until the key goes into the II position.

At that point everything goes dead until I take it out of position two. This is where the really funky stuff starts happening. After the key is taken out of position II, the lights begin blinking very fast while the locks start clicking. The car seems to be cycling power through and everything eventually returns back to normal, at which point I can repeat the position II funky stuff.

I checked other keys and same issue so cant be the immobilizer right? I looked into the fuse box in the engine bay and dont see any water. Is this a symptom of water shorting a circuit somewhere on the starter?

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? I am traveling this weekend to see a friend in the hospital for probably the last time, so REALLY need the car to be up and running.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How old is your battery? Sometimes when those funky electrical things happen, replacing the battery fixes it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the immobilizer but I have the occasional "no start" issue. I did do some research on the immobilizer when my first no start happened and there's some reset trick you can do that involves opening the door a couple times and pressing the lock and unlock buttons in a sequence. Not sure tough, someone else might be able to help with that.

As far as the "no start" condition mine usually happens after it rains or is really humid out. From what I see it's corrosion/oxidation one of the wires to the starter. I just reach down and wiggle it back and forth a couple times and it fires right up. It hasnt happened in a while though. I thought my starter died originally so Ive had an unopened box from rockauto sitting in the corner for a year now

·
Registered
32 Posts
He's right. Check your battery.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that was the fastest coil pack check I've ever done. No signs of water under the covers or in the coils but after putting it all back together, the car started up. Phew....I dont know how I would go through the rest of my life if an issue like this kept me from seeing my friend. Thanks for the advice, battery checked out fine a few months ago but will monitor the thing. Probably add it to the list of things taking away from the beer fund :D

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I've let my battery die and close to die a few times; its your battery, when it gets low and tries to start, you'll hear fast faint clicking (caused by internal lights and current, not clicking like from a starter) and lights blink and you may or may not get the immobilizer alarm or such. Car won't start if the battery is lower than 9.9 volts (at position II)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome, time to start hooking on the side to fund the replacement of that beast of a battery we have.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been one hell of a night. Forgot to tighten the CAP on the IC side and blew it off a few blocks from the house. Used the meager tools I had in my trunk at the time and finally fixed the thing one handed holding the pipe and my cell phone for light. Unfortunately, the movement done to the CAP tightening up the IC side clamp loosened the v-neck clamp on the turbo, and I blew that off a few blocks after I got back on the road. Thankfully, the v-neck clamp stayed on the pipe so I said fook-it, I'll tell the indy to tighten the thing back down tomorrow, I'm going home and taking my medicine. Fingers crossed the diagnosis tomorrow is only $ and not $$$.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Did a few errands after washing that included multiple engine stop/starts.
It's not the battery that's dying, you just drained the battery.
Batteries recover themselves a bit so that's why you were able to start later, just recharge it fully and you're clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.