SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Did you try resetting the ecu? Disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for 3 minutes or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet it had an underboost code and a maf high voltage code . I will try.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car starts and idles great with MAF unplugged ? Really?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hmm bad maf it must be then

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think so . do they just stop working like that? Is it a symptom of a bad etm ?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
They have been known to fail at times. I doubt it's a etm issue.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will check out the butterfly on the etm with a bore scope tomorrow. See how dirty it is. At this point I a thinking of ordering a new one. How do you test them ?

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The old Magnetti Marelli ETM that was used '99 until '01 had a specific test built into VIDA, but I haven't found one for the new ETM. They sometimes have a problem with the plug, where the wires fail, and before I knew the problem was something else, I was able to buy a connector and 6 wires, already to splice into the original wiring. The dealer shop foreman said they've had to do a number of these. The later ETMs fail, but not often, and they've found that more often than not it is the wiring, not the ETM that is at fault, so they fix the wiring first, then worry about the ETM.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems to have been a bad MAF. New one in and it strategy and idles. Drove it around the block and seems fine. I will drive it for a good trip tomorrow so I can get a good transmission fluid reading so we will see.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Good to hear it wasn't something more serious

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is no test for the newer ETA's ( they call these electronic throttle actuators now)
Just you can adapt them in advanced functions. Yes we have found that the terminals get widened from vibrations and if it the connector has been unplugged, it also creates less contact/pin contact issues when being plugged in. Also when updating to the latest ECM software, they "desensitized" the counters to trip the eta throttle potentiometers tripping the check engine light.

We usually Repin the eta and replace the connector. We Also Repin the ECM terminals for the eta. If it still has issues, then replace the eta.

The 2004 models we have found the high speed CAN network having pin fitments and we Repin the high speed network.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can honestly say it runs better that it ever has since installation. Tightened up all of the clamps on the intake maze and installed a new MAF. Smooth idle and very little turbo lag. Does anyone know what peak boost is for stock offhand?

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I can honestly say it runs better that it ever has since installation. Tightened up all of the clamps on the intake maze and installed a new MAF. Smooth idle and very little turbo lag. Does anyone know what peak boost is for stock offhand?

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
Idk about the 2.4t but it's 8-9psi on the 2.5t. I'd think they'd be the same

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK on that note. How accurate to you think the boost gauge is on torque? I have it set to calculate through MAF.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've never used the torque app personally. I wouldn't trust it for the soul purpose if it has issues/bugs in the software. The app may be accurate on one device but not another. Just my opinion anyway. I went with a digital guage myself

1 - 19 of 19 Posts