SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
@Tech or other Volvo Techs,

So I'm at an impasse. I heard from my dealer and they are claiming the issue is the battery I replaced in February 2021. Claiming that the starter is fine but the battery is testing bad in Vida.....And that a bad battery would not be sending enough juice to the flywheel to start the car.

They warrantied the battery...But I again insisted they watch my video....

Called me back just now and insist the low voltage from the battery is 100% the cause and my car is ready......

What now?

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
607 Posts
@Tech or other Volvo Techs,

So I'm at an impasse. I heard from my dealer and they are claiming the issue is the battery I replaced in February 2021. Claiming that the starter is fine but the battery is testing bad in Vida.....And that a bad battery would not be sending enough juice to the flywheel to start the car.

They warrantied the battery...But I again insisted they watch my video....

Called me back just now and insist the low voltage from the battery is 100% the cause and my car is ready......

What now?
I thought the design of the car was set up to prevent the car from automatically shutting off via stop/start if the battery under the hood was too low in voltage. If this is correct, then my question is ... Why did you car shut off if the battery level, per your Volvo dealer, was low?

Per the enclosed link from Volvo, the following is noted concerning stop/start not working

• "The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level."

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I thought the design of the car was set up to prevent the car from automatically shutting off via stop/start if the battery under the hood was too low in voltage. If this is correct, then my question is ... Why did you car shut off if the battery level, per your Volvo dealer, was low?

Per the enclosed link from Volvo, the following is noted concerning stop/start not working

• "The capacity of the starter battery is below the minimum permissible level."
That's a very good question oh, but my dealer is insisting that the battery is showing bad on Vita and that the low voltage was the reason the starter wasn't able to turn the engine on.

But yes I thought the same thing where Auto start-stop won't engage unless the battery has sufficient charge.

I have no choice but to pick up the car because they're insistent the battery was the culprit. And I doubt they reached out to remote technical support either like I asked. I like the Steeler a lot and they've generally been very good with the Saudi the second time they're a bit stubborn on something in that proves you wrong in the long run.

Hopefully someone like Tech will join in as I'm going to head to get my car here very soon which is an hour and a half away.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If your starter were actually going bad, you would likely have had at least one, probably several more instances of the car not starting properly since the 1st time it happened. Lots of dealers would have just tested the starter, tried to replicate the issue, and then said, "sorry, nothing is broken, can't help you." You're fortunate that your dealer checked the voltage and found a bad battery. Be happy you're getting a free battery right before your warranty runs out. I can't imagine a scenario where any dealer watched your video of the car failing to start ONCE and concludes you need a new starter. No way they would be confident that they would get paid for that work under warranty if volvo decided to check that old starter to see if it was actually broken.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
If your starter were actually going bad, you would likely have had at least one, probably several more instances of the car not starting properly since the 1st time it happened. Lots of dealers would have just tested the starter, tried to replicate the issue, and then said, "sorry, nothing is broken, can't help you." You're fortunate that your dealer checked the voltage and found a bad battery. Be happy you're getting a free battery right before your warranty runs out. I can't imagine a scenario where any dealer watched your video of the car failing to start ONCE and concludes you need a new starter. No way they would be confident that they would get paid for that work under warranty if volvo decided to check that old starter to see if it was actually broken.

I actually paid $350 for a replacement battery back in February 2021. At that time the battery was 6 years old and they said it was going bad and BATTERIES ARE NOT covered under CPO. So they're actually not really doing much of a favor if the battery is going bad because it's new and under warranty.

As far as the starter goes, Tech suggested the dealer send my video 2 remote technical support for diagnosis but I guess they didn't do that.

@maggs asked a valid question. If the battery is actually bad why would start stop engage because the conditions were not met for auto start-stop to have enabled to electrical.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Which battery was replaced? The main or auxiliary?
I believe the main battery was replaced originally in February in that but they replaced again. The dealers an hour and a half away and I'm just coming back so I will take a picture of the work order and upload it when I get home.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Have to admit I’m struggling to find this low voltage diagnosis plausible… mine will quite frequently show “unavailable” because the electrical system is charging - if voltage is low it’s supposed to not stop in the first place, not fail to start afterwards

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Have to admit I’m struggling to find this low voltage diagnosis plausible… mine will quite frequently show “unavailable” because the electrical system is charging - if voltage is low it’s supposed to not stop in the first place, not fail to start afterwards
That's my feeling too but they're insisting on its the battery testing bad via Vida. I even spoke to the service advisor and said isn't the Auto start-stop not supposed to engage if the battery voltage is low and his reply was I wasn't there to measure the electrical signal being could do all sorts of strange things.

I'll be quite honest we are coming up on winter and if the thing doesn't start in the cold weather I'll have it towed up to Volvo because it's a 90 mile trip each way and I've got 6400 miles on my warranty left that I don't intend to burn up making multiple trips up there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I actually paid $350 for a replacement battery back in February 2021. At that time the battery was 6 years old and they said it was going bad and BATTERIES ARE NOT covered under CPO. So they're actually not really doing much of a favor if the battery is going bad because it's new and under warranty.
Ahh, true. At least they found something wrong though so they didn't have to charge for a diagnosis. But I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you. I would have been quite surprised if they replaced the starter under warranty based solely on a dash cam video of your car not starting from auto-stop one time.

The real thing I would be wondering if I were you is what the reason is behind low voltage on a battery as new as yours. Hopefully you just got a dud and it isn't something else.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Ahh, true. At least they found something wrong though so they didn't have to charge for a diagnosis. But I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you. I would have been quite surprised if they replaced the starter under warranty based solely on a dash cam video of your car not starting from auto-stop one time.

The real thing I would be wondering if I were you is what the reason is behind low voltage on a battery as new as yours. Hopefully you just got a dud and it isn't something else.
I have two dash cam hardwire to the fuse box with parking mode but by no means is their parasitic draw enough to make the battery go bad from February to now. Again the other battery lasted six years and that one survive with a dash camera with no problem.

I am still very skeptical of the battery being issue. They couldn't have charged me because everything is under CPO. And I provided them evidence of a problem so they could still get paid for Diagnostics even if they can't replicate the problem.

Again the service advisor told me he seen brand new batteries come back as bad several times before whether that is true or not. Either way I'm not certain the issue is resolved but hopefully if there's still a problem it will rear its head in the next 6400 miles before my warranty expires.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
@p.rico @Tech @meade18

The main battery was replaced in February 2021 at a cost of $350. The battery was originally from June 2014. So 6 years old. I was told batteries were wear and weren't covered under CPO. Fast forward to November, and they're claiming the battery was bad under Vida.

I have 2 Dashcams hardwired to my fuse box, which run in parking mode with a voltage cutoff of 12.2V. I seriously and truly doubt their parasitic draw made this battery bad in 8 months. Service advisor told me he's seen "New Batteries" testing bad quite often.

Still not buying this as the reason for my issue.....But they were dead set on blaming the battery and refused to budge. So not much more I could do here. I was firm, but they stood their ground.

Anyway, here's the tech notes. Not very specific at all. Not sure HOW a "Bad Battery" would permit the car to enter Start / Stop, the Starter to "Engage", and then the car fails to start. Service advisor's explanation was maybe the voltage was low and couldn't get the flywheel spinning....

Here are the service notes:

Font Parallel Paper Publication Paper product

Rectangle Wood Font Automotive exterior Parallel

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice in the six years I've owned my V60, and the circumstances were the same. I think it's an electronic glitch that happens in very specific conditions.

The first was when the car was brand new, with only a few hundred miles on it. I was approaching a line of stopped cars at a traffic light that started to move as I approached. As I rolled to a complete stop, and just as the auto on/off killed the engine, I lifted my foot from the brake. It's as if the computer got simultaneous commands to stop and start the engine and it shut down. I pressed the start button and the entire dashboard went dark. After a moment the dash lit up again, but each time I pressed start the dash would go blank. I ended up blocking traffic for a while, until a nice fellow pulled up and helped me push the car onto the shoulder. After I got back in the car, it started right up -- most likely because I had shifted it into park (hadn't thought of it while I was blocking traffic in my brand-new car that had suddenly failed me). No codes, the dealer replaced one of the batteries under warranty.

The second was a few years later in a parking lot. Same situation: I lifted my foot from the brake just as auto stop was killing the engine. Same result: the engine shut down and wouldn't start again until I shifted into park (IIRC, I also got a message telling me to apply my foot to the brake to start the engine, even though it was already there). Didn't report it, but I now pay attention to when the engine is going to auto stop so as to avoid lifting my foot from the brake at the same time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Have to say that my one experience of this happening to me was at a light that turned green the moment I stopped, so yes, took my foot off brake as the engine was shutting down… have tried to do the same thing deliberately several times since it happened but can’t reproduce it. Prepared to put it down as a glitch and stop worrying at this point, at least until it happens again.

Reactions: meade18

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I have had this happen to me twice in the six years I've owned my V60, and the circumstances were the same. I think it's an electronic glitch that happens in very specific conditions.
Even if that's the case, it's a bit unnerving to know the car may fail to start at random. I'm glad I was in a parking lot and not on a busy road!

The first was when the car was brand new, with only a few hundred miles on it. I was approaching a line of stopped cars at a traffic light that started to move as I approached. As I rolled to a complete stop, and just as the auto on/off killed the engine, I lifted my foot from the brake. It's as if the computer got simultaneous commands to stop and start the engine and it shut down. I pressed the start button and the entire dashboard went dark. After a moment the dash lit up again, but each time I pressed start the dash would go blank. I ended up blocking traffic for a while, until a nice fellow pulled up and helped me push the car onto the shoulder. After I got back in the car, it started right up -- most likely because I had shifted it into park (hadn't thought of it while I was blocking traffic in my brand-new car that had suddenly failed me). No codes, the dealer replaced one of the batteries under warranty.
Did you report the incident to the dealer? If so, what was their explanation upon diagnosing the vehicle?

Ugh, see being stuck in the middle of the road is quite dangerous. Sure you weren't all smiles after this happened. Having to push your brand new car to the side. Seems your scenario replicates me. Of course, I through my car in park immediately and restarted the car.

The second was a few years later in a parking lot. Same situation: I lifted my foot from the brake just as auto stop was killing the engine. Same result: the engine shut down and wouldn't start again until I shifted into park (IIRC, I also got a message telling me to apply my foot to the brake to start the engine, even though it was already there). Didn't report it, but I now pay attention to when the engine is going to auto stop so as to avoid lifting my foot from the brake at the same time.
I find it odd though my dealer blames battery. And that a brand new battery that is 8 months old "went bad". Who knows. I'll try to keep that in mind about making sure car officially shuts off before lifting foot to reengage the engine.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Have to say that my one experience of this happening to me was at a light that turned green the moment I stopped, so yes, took my foot off brake as the engine was shutting down… have tried to do the same thing deliberately several times since it happened but can’t reproduce it. Prepared to put it down as a glitch and stop worrying at this point, at least until it happens again.
I'm pretty sure my scenario was similar. Although engine had shut off, I lifted my foot quickly after it did and the car failed to restart. We shall see if it happens again. If so, I'll take car back in for round two.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you report the incident to the dealer? If so, what was their explanation upon diagnosing the vehicle?
Yup. Didn't get an explanation, nor even a theory. They replaced one of the batteries, but to me that seemed to be a "no idea what this is -- let's replace something" kind of reaction.

I find it odd though my dealer blames battery. And that a brand new battery that is 8 months old "went bad". Who knows. I'll try to keep that in mind about making sure car officially shuts off before lifting foot to reengage the engine.
While I'm not persuaded it's the cause here, sudden battery failures can happen. I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon before my V60, and one day my car simply wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. May not have even had any interior lights (can't remember). Got it jumped and took it to the dealer. IIRC, they called it a "snap failure," and the battery just completely failed. It was only a year or two old, and it was replaced under warranty.

I'm pretty sure my scenario was similar. Although engine had shut off, I lifted my foot quickly after it did and the car failed to restart. We shall see if it happens again. If so, I'll take car back in for round two.
I'm pretty sure the engine was still shutting down and hadn't quite completely stopped when it got the command to restart. My theory is the computer is giving a start command while it senses the engine to still be running and shuts the whole thing down.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yup. Didn't get an explanation, nor even a theory. They replaced one of the batteries, but to me that seemed to be a "no idea what this is -- let's replace something" kind of reaction.
I guess on the bright side, I got a brand new battery to replace the brand new one I got in February 2021. Let's see how long this one lasts before they say it's bad in Vida. I agree, that they might not have known the cause and figured replacing the battery was the first and best course of action.

While I'm not persuaded it's the cause here, sudden battery failures can happen. I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon before my V60, and one day my car simply wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. May not have even had any interior lights (can't remember). Got it jumped and took it to the dealer. IIRC, they called it a "snap failure," and the battery just completely failed. It was only a year or two old, and it was replaced under warranty.
I know they can happen, but just seems weird to be the culprit. I'm not convinced but I still have winter ahead of me. So generally, problems rear their ugly head in cold weather.

I'm pretty sure the engine was still shutting down and hadn't quite completely stopped when it got the command to restart. My theory is the computer is giving a start command while it senses the engine to still be running and shuts the whole thing down.
This may be true. Again, I think the engine had shut down and restarted pretty close together. Still not sure if that was the issue though or another problem is at play (starter). For winter and the next four months I'll have the CPO (6400 miles) and I avg 1400-1500/month, we shall see if the issue happens again.

I'm happy to have things repaired on Volvo's dime, and not mine!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So mine did this again last night: in snails pace stop and go traffic on the terminal access road at Newark, must have stop/started a couple of dozen times in about 15-20 minutes when it didn’t restart… less of a surprise this time, so quickly got it going again and shut off the stop/start function. Turned it back on once clear of the airport and seemed to be working normally again.

still working on the once is unlucky, twice is coincidence principal, but next time will be considered evidence of an emerging pattern

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So mine did this again last night: in snails pace stop and go traffic on the terminal access road at Newark, must have stop/started a couple of dozen times in about 15-20 minutes when it didn’t restart… less of a surprise this time, so quickly got it going again and shut off the stop/start function. Turned it back on once clear of the airport and seemed to be working normally again.

still working on the once is unlucky, twice is coincidence principal, but next time will be considered evidence of an emerging pattern
Dealer replaced my main battery (which I bought in February) stating that it was "bad" per Vida. I haven't had the experience repeat yet either before or after battery replacement.

Someone raised a theory, and it might be a valid one. That if you catch the car "Mid Start/Stop", I.E. Car enters Start / Stop Briefly but not long enough to shut down completely, then you lift foot off brake to restart car, it might occasionally replicate our problem. Meaning, the Car doesn't get a chance to fully shut down before the process is interrupted by your foot lifted off the brake, and the car trying to restart. Resulting in the car's engine behind unable to restart.

Is this the right answer? I don't know. Dealer again claims my problem was a car battery issue, not the starter. But that theory above does seem at least pose a possible scenario to investigate. Especially seeing how you had repeated start / stops back to back.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts