SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I have a 2015 V60 & '16 S60. BOTH had loose starter to solenoid lug fasteners. Loose lug can temp weld itself and not pass amps. Then resume later. Both cars have done the NO restart trick.
Volvo needs to look into. The starter is real robust and the brushes were 80 and 95% good on them. Cars had also had new main batteries before 25k, the '16 had gotten 2. Huge waste of moola.
Yep, this is what I've seen on the ones I've done.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yep, this is what I've seen on the ones I've done.
Do the Solenoid Lug Fasteners get replaced or Entire Starter Assembly?

·
Registered
2014 S60 FWD
40 Posts
I have a 2015 V60 & '16 S60. BOTH had loose starter to solenoid lug fasteners. Loose lug can temp weld itself and not pass amps. Then resume later. Both cars have done the NO restart trick.
Volvo needs to look into. The starter is real robust and the brushes were 80 and 95% good on them. Cars had also had new main batteries before 25k, the '16 had gotten 2. Huge waste of moola.
We've got a '14 and '16 (S60s), I drive the '14 and there's no start/stop on mine, was it an option on the '16? I don't recall our '16 ever doing start/stop.... Or is it possible it's turned off on our '16? From what I've read here, it seems like even if it was turned off, it doesn't stay off after a full power off and on, true?

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
We've got a '14 and '16 (S60s), I drive the '14 and there's no start/stop on mine, was it an option on the '16? I don't recall our '16 ever doing start/stop.... Or is it possible it's turned off on our '16? From what I've read here, it seems like even if it was turned off, it doesn't stay off after a full power off and on, true?
It was first instituted on the Drive-E engines. It can be disabled (button) but will enable when car is restarted. Start / Stop only engages when the battery has enough charge (electrical conditions) or the weather permits (not to hot or cold).

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
You wouldn't have start stop on either of your cars because neither of them have the Drive E motor. Both of your cars have the 2.5 liter five cylinder which never received start stop.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
The entire starter. That's why I didn't mention it. Didn't want to get too technical for no reason.

If it was out of warranty, I'd give the customer the option to just tighten it.
Thanks. Just wanted to be certain.

Not heard back from dealer, but I won't bug them until closer to my appointment to see if they watched video / looked at image. I spoke to my regular Service Advisor on the phone a few days ago and notified him of the email. But the dealer has been swamped and short staffed (like everyone else). Since my appointment isn't until Nov 5th, and the issue has yet to be repeated, bugging them won't change anything at the moment. If it happens again between now and then I'll definitely be on the bull horn.

I'm hoping they'll replace the starter and not give push back. Happening "only once" isn't really an explanation I want, and ideally they'll just agree to warranty replace the starter. I'm going to mention everything said here if need be at time of appointment.

I'm on the road way too much, and this is my only vehicle, so I cannot afford to be sidelined by car troubles.

·
Registered
2014 S60 FWD
40 Posts
You wouldn't have start stop on either of your cars because neither of them have the Drive E motor. Both of your cars have the 2.5 liter five cylinder which never received start stop.
Thanks, the '14 I knew didn't have it, but wasn't sure if the '16 should or not since I really don't ever drive that one...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So my ‘17 decided to do this exact same thing to me this evening… I’d literally just stopped at the light when it turned green, the engine had only just stopped, took my foot off the brake and nothing happened… bunch of lights came on and “press Start” it said. Of course when I did press start it yelled at me because it wasn’t in park… got some severe honking from behind (this was in Philly, you’re obliged to move forward within 8 milliseconds of the light turning green).. got it into park, started it, got rolling and hit the stop/start button to shut it off… left it off for the rest of the evening until I was on my way home when i got back to quieter suburban streets. Tried to reproduce the problem but it worked exactly as advertised for the rest of the night.

so it’s the first and only time it’s done that to me in the 4+ months/11,000 miles it’s been mine… I’ve left stop/start activated pretty much constantly, turning it off occasionally for stop signs on hills, narrow streets or restricted views where you need to edge forward to get out safely… prepared to put it down to a glitch for now, but astounded at the coincidence that it happens a day or two after I read this thread… slightly concerned that it may be temperature related… think this evening was the coolest I’ve been out driving since I bought the car…

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So my ‘17 decided to do this exact same thing to me this evening… I’d literally just stopped at the light when it turned green, the engine had only just stopped, took my footage brave and nothing happened… bunch of lights came on and “press Start” it said. Of course when I did press start it yelled at me because it wasn’t in park… got some severe honking from behind (this was in Philly, you’re obliged to move forward within 8 milliseconds of the light turning green).. got it into park, started it, got rolling and hit the stop/start button to shut it off… left it off for the rest of the evening until I was on my way home when i got back to quieter suburban streets. Tried to reproduce the problem but it worked exactly as advertised for the rest of the night.

so it’s the first and only time it’s done that to me in the 4+ months/11,000 miles it’s been mine… I’ve left stop/start activated pretty much constantly, turning it off occasionally for stop signs on hills, narrow streets or restricted views where you need to edge forward to get out safely… prepared to put it down to a glitch for now, but astounded at the coincidence that it happens a day or two after I read this thread… slightly concerned that it may be temperature related… think this evening was the coolest I’ve been out driving since I bought the car…
Mine happened on a cloudy day. Maybe 80 Degrees out. Definitely not one of the hottest days of summer / falls. So I dont think temperature has anything to do with what happened. However, everything else is quite similar in nature. Had just stopped briefly, took foot off brake to start back up, and the rest happened exactly as you describe.

Glad I'm not the only one. Don't know if this throws a code due to all the lights illuminating. However, you bet I'm going to get this checked out. I'll let the dealer throw a new starter under warranty if they think that's the issue.

Luckily, I was in a shopping center parking lot, but the guy behind me was oblivious and too incompetent to see me trying to wave him on. In the duration, I missed capturing the flashing lights on dash, and only got image of the message posted here. Quickly restarted car so the moron behind me could go about his life.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
@Tech or any other Volvo tech. So dealer has my car til Monday. Theyre doing a map update.

But they see no codes related to what happened with starter as expected. And they're saying they can't replicate issue. I told service advisor to please share video with tech working on my car while they have in their possession.

I've got 6500 miles left on CPO and if starter has bad spot wpuld prefer fixed sooner than later.

Any recommendations here on how to get dealer to move forward with replacement?

Dealer is an 85 mile each way drive. So not most convenient trip less im headed that direction.

Side note: My loaner is a nice 2016 Inscription AWD. Reminds me previous loaner few yrs back. AWD v60.

MY FWD is good, but AWD definitely feel weightier and more evenly balanced. Extra space in back kind of nice, too, if you have rear passengers.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
It won't set codes. They haven't seen the problem before so they're trying to get it to happen. Pretty standard.

Let them keep driving it until it happens since you're in a car. Or maybe they'll open a case with RTS and maybe they'll tell them to replace the starter.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It won't set codes. They haven't seen the problem before so they're trying to get it to happen. Pretty standard.

Let them keep driving it until it happens since you're in a car. Or maybe they'll open a case with RTS and maybe they'll tell them to replace the starter.
Ya. Since I'm in a loaner, I said keep my car as long as necessary. Since map update taking a while.

Thanks. I'll follow your advice and see dealer will open up a trouble ticket with RTS, if they can't replicate.

Called them and asked that question. They'll get back with me. Emphasized no rush I have a car. All I care about!

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
607 Posts
Particularly with our modern cars, I had the firm conviction that problems could be easily identified by just looking for codes. This thread and others often note that no codes are found. There's no substitute for an experienced technical who is afforded the time to diagnose and repair a challenging issue, and get properly paid for their knowledge.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Particularly with our modern cars, I had the firm conviction that problems could be easily identified by just looking for codes. This thread and others often note that no codes are found. There's no substitute for an experienced technical who is afforded the time to diagnose and repair a challenging issue, and get properly paid for their knowledge.
Nothing makes up for experience. Technology can only take you so far and then the rest relies upon good old-fashioned know how.

I've had several instances over the ownership of my vehicle where codes were not generated and it required the technician to troubleshoot based upon experience.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
(this was in Philly, you’re obliged to move forward within 8 milliseconds of the light turning green)..
lol, this should be specified somewhere in the DMV drivers manual. Most annoying in a turning lane. I swear some people think they're the only ones on the road at times.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
lol, this should be specified somewhere in the DMV drivers manual. Most annoying in a turning lane. I swear some people think they're the only ones on the road at times.
Having driven through about 80% of the United States, my favorite people are the ones that tailgate you, then Speed Ahead and cut you off, just get an extra car length.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Having driven through about 80% of the United States, my favorite people are the ones that tailgate you, then Speed Ahead and cut you off, just get an extra car length.
...and then end up slowing down anyways, making you pass them again to keep yourself on the speed you set in cruise control.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts