SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I just had a customer with this same issue but on a newer XC60, like said above it was the starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
@Tech @p.rico

I didn't notice this on my laptop, as the speakers SUCK. But watch video and listen at 14 seconds. You hear the starter try to kick on it sounds like but stall out. If I am correct??

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just to be clear for anyone just finding this thread and being confused:
Your engine stopped when you came to a stop because you had auto start/stop activated. Then when you took your foot off the brake, the engine attempted to start back up, but it failed. A bunch of lights lit up on the dashboard when that happened, but you weren't able to get a picture of it.
Then, in order to get moving again, you had to turn the car ignition off and start it back up with the start button (ignition). It started back up and drove fine.

You car did not stall out. You car moved fine while the engine was running. You likely have a starter that is going bad and that likely caused the failed restart during the auto start/stop cycle.

Is that a better description now that we know what's going on?

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Just to be clear for anyone just finding this thread and being confused:
Your engine stopped when you came to a stop because you had auto start/stop activated. Then when you took your foot off the brake, the engine attempted to start back up, but it failed. A bunch of lights lit up on the dashboard when that happened, but you weren't able to get a picture of it.
Yes. Start /Stop Engaged. Once foot taken off brake, the engine didn't restart, though it tried. I assume parking brake then engaged. Dashboard lit up. Couldn't move. Car generated error in image. I had to restart car to move again.

Then, in order to get moving again, you had to turn the car ignition off and start it back up with the start button (ignition). It started back up and drove fine.
Yes. Drives fine and starting fine now. But there could definitely be the beginning signs of a bad spot developing on starter. Or maybe a lo I se ground issue as someone pointed out in another thread.

You car did not stall out. You car moved fine while the engine was running. You likely have a starter that is going bad and that likely caused the failed restart during the auto start/stop cycle.

Is that a better description now that we know what's going on?
Yes. Stalled might be a poor description. Failed to restart from auto start / stop I presume.

Although the screen told me to hit start bitton so engine cut off when it didnt restart.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes. Stalled might be a poor description. Failed to restart from auto start / stop I presume.

Although the screen told me to hit start bitton so engine cut off when it didnt restart.
You're kinda contradicting yourself here. Just to be clear, the engine didn't "cut off" improperly at any point, correct? The engine turned off when you came to a stop (as it was supposed to) because you had auto start/stop ON. Then it didn't restart automatically as it was supposed to. So you had to turn off the ignition manually (with the start button), then turn it back on (with the start button). Correct?

Side note, what percentage of the time do you drive with start/stop ON? Just wondering if it might make sense to disable auto start/stop to lengthen the life of the starter - I assume that it would.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You're kinda contradicting yourself here. Just to be clear, the engine didn't "cut off" improperly at any point, correct? The engine turned off when you came to a stop (as it was supposed to) because you had auto start/stop ON. Then it didn't restart automatically as it was supposed to. So you had to turn off the ignition manually (with the start button), then turn it back on (with the start button). Correct?

Side note, what percentage of the time do you drive with start/stop ON? Just wondering if it might make sense to disable auto start/stop to lengthen the life of the starter - I assume that it would.
Will send you PM.

I am a heavy highway driver. I'd say 75% or more of my driving is highway based. Start stop comes on during that other 25% of city driving, unless or course there's a fender bender on the highway making me idle.

·
Registered
643 Posts
more than likely is the starter fuse...right by the battery plus cable...its just a thermo-type fuse so it may act up again,i would replace also the fuse for the main fuse box,just to be safe...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Just wondering if it might make sense to disable auto start/stop to lengthen the life of the starter - I assume that it would.
That's actually a good point, and should be tried to see if it happens again.

It's curious though that @MyVolvoS60 is getting (I presume) good starts from cold every day? I would think that a faulty starter would manifest itself more so at any time now, and not just between auto start/stop intervals.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's actually a good point, and should be tried to see if it happens again.

It's curious though that @MyVolvoS60 is getting (I presume) good starts from cold every day? I would think that a faulty starter would manifest itself more so at any time now, and not just between auto start/stop intervals.
Car seems to start fine on cold start. Not sure if some random bad spot on starter or a loose ground connection somewhere. So far, the event hasn't replicated, but catching it on video and an image proves I'm not nuts at least.

Spoke to dealer today. Waiting on service advisor to watch video / view image and get back to me.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've got about 7800 left on the warranty, so my main concern is getting anything problematic fixed on Volvo's dime before my warranty terms via mileage. I have until June of 2022 but I'll never make it that far with my driving habits lately.

I would rather anything expensive these texts before hundred thousand miles so I can cruise for a while without any big expenses.

As an aside note my start stop does not engage all that often because I am a majority highway driver with maybe 25% of of the 90k mileage being city driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happened to me with my S60 2015. I brought the car to three different dealers, one dealer more than once and all they did were software upgrades. What finally happened is Volvo bought back my car and I got a different 2015 S60. I was told, in 2018 when this happened, that only four other S60s had this problem in the past. I now turn off the stop/start whenever I start my car. Even when it works, the hesitation before the engine starts is disconcerting to say the least.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right On! Disconcerting is the key word. Really how much savings would it be in 10,000 miles in fuel costs,nominal.
And also to the climate. I don't know it as a fact but I know it's true-think about it- when the car restarts it's blowing just about the same pollutants as when it idled. Of course not in extended stop times such as traffic but average urban driving. Or even sub-urban. I hated it when I got loaner cars from my Volvo dealership.
Every time that car restarts- there are other moving parts coming into play obviously- over and over again. More and more stress for those parts-
I think it was a bridge option for Volvo to include this - Bridging bet. hybrid cars (i.e Prius) and all gasoline engines with no electric motor. Maybe they wanted the driver to feel good that they were doing something for the environment. I'm sure lots of starters have been replaced with this option, but not documented in these forums or anywhere.
Note to MyVolvoS60:-- Turn it off- just enjoy your car.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@gotart I have 7600 miles left on my CPO. It's more of if there is a problem, I want it solved now on Volvo's dime and not later on at my cost!

·
Registered
267 Posts
@gotart I have 7600 miles left on my CPO. It's more of if there is a problem, I want it solved now on Volvo's dime and not later on at my cost!
I get it. I know you want the problem solved, well of course. After it is solved- shelve the quick start/stop option. Then fuhgeddaboudit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not any fuse.
I have a 2015 V60 & '16 S60. BOTH had loose starter to solenoid lug fasteners. Loose lug can temp weld itself and not pass amps. Then resume later. Both cars have done the NO restart trick.
Volvo needs to look into. The starter is real robust and the brushes were 80 and 95% good on them. Cars had also had new main batteries before 25k, the '16 had gotten 2. Huge waste of moola.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a 2015 V60 & '16 S60. BOTH had loose starter to solenoid lug fasteners. Loose lug can temp weld itself and not pass amps. Then resume later. Both cars have done the NO restart trick.
Volvo needs to look into. The starter is real robust and the brushes were 80 and 95% good on them. Cars had also had new main batteries before 25k, the '16 had gotten 2. Huge waste of moola.
I've definitely got the video to the dealer and images. Haven't heard back. I'll probably follow up closer to my appointment, since it doesn't change anything at the moment. Happened only once, but I'm not a fan of the "Gremlin Argument" when my warranty is quickly running out. Definitely don't want some post 100K gremlin to turn into a $$$ expensive fix on my watch.

I've got appointment with dealer in 3 weeks and will follow up with them. They'll have my car for entire day to do alignment and check the map icon question. And then this problem.

Seems though everyone thinks this is a start issue, so we shall see!

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I get it. I know you want the problem solved, well of course. After it is solved- shelve the quick start/stop option. Then fuhgeddaboudit.
If it proves to be what everyone suspects (starter), then start / stop places a heavy amount of wear onto the part. As I am a 75% highway driver, and start / stop only engages only on the other 25% of driving (city). So it's not a frequent or high usage wear and tear item on my car.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts