SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
So it did not restart? Or it restarted and did not move?

From that picture, it looks like it did not restart.

That's probably a starter going bad.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Car wouldn't move because the engine wasn't running.

I'd put a starter in it. I've seen a couple recently.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
BMS is Battery Monitor Sensor. That is on the main battery. The BMS cannot cause this.

If you are referring to the start/stop battery, that isn't the cause here either.

I've done a few Drive-E starters the last few months for this same problem. I don't recall their ages. I know one was still under factory warranty though.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The last one I did was easy to replicate. It would start out working fine but after about 7 engagements it would not restart without shutting off the ignition.

I don't know if it slowly got to that point over time or what.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
No it won't set a code. Short of driving it to duplicate it, they can't really test it. The starter will likely pass a regular starter test.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have a 2015 V60 & '16 S60. BOTH had loose starter to solenoid lug fasteners. Loose lug can temp weld itself and not pass amps. Then resume later. Both cars have done the NO restart trick.
Volvo needs to look into. The starter is real robust and the brushes were 80 and 95% good on them. Cars had also had new main batteries before 25k, the '16 had gotten 2. Huge waste of moola.
Yep, this is what I've seen on the ones I've done.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It won't set codes. They haven't seen the problem before so they're trying to get it to happen. Pretty standard.

Let them keep driving it until it happens since you're in a car. Or maybe they'll open a case with RTS and maybe they'll tell them to replace the starter.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I didn't say it was normal, I just said it doesn't sound like the starter is the problem here.

A "bad spot" on the starter would cause a no crank symptom. Yours is cranking just fine.

I'd guess fuel related but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I meant fuel pressure, not fuel quality or octane.

A bad spot would cause it to not crank if it lands in the spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts