SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About an hour ago, I was driving, and turned into the parking lot of a strip mall. Someone was crossing the street, and I stopped. My Auto Start / Start Engaged. Upon trying to continue on to a parking spot, my car "Stalled". The car refused to move. The Brake Engaged. The car didn't respond, and the Dash Board Lit up.

I had some IDIOT behind me that didn't get the go around me concept. So I tried to snap a quick picture. Not capturing the lights that illuminated on the dash board in haste. Pretty much, this is what I captured (image below). Press Start (Start / Stop).

The car refusing to move and this error message.

The only thing I could do was hold the button to kill the engine and restart the car.

Any Thoughts? I hope this logged a code....

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Car Steering part

Reactions: volvo 187

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Probably not something worth worrying about. Sounds like exactly what happens when City Safety has engaged for me (three times now and none for an actual car or person, typically it's the steam vents or dense fog on the road). When it does, the brakes engage and the car will not move with applied throttle until you kill the ignition and start the car again.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably not something worth worrying about. Sounds like exactly what happens when City Safety has engaged for me (three times now and none for an actual car or person, typically it's the steam vents or dense fog on the road). When it does, the brakes engage and the car will not move with applied throttle until you kill the ignition and start the car again.
Does City Safety give some sort of Alert or Message?

Weather was 100% not rainy or foggy. Overcast a bit, but nothing else.

Very odd this engaged when I came to a full start, Auto Start / Stop Enabled, and then the Car wouldn't move at all. Literally, the brake applied, the Dash Board Lit Up with Some Messages (didn't capture), and then Gave me the Warning you see in the image.

I hope this is nothing! I've never experienced this problem in the 5.5 years / 90,000 miles of driving my car!

Was very unnerving to be "stuck" and having to kill the ignition. Luckily in a parking lot and not on a main road.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it did not restart? Or it restarted and did not move?

From that picture, it looks like it did not restart.

That's probably a starter going bad.
Start / Stop engaged when I came to a stop for person crossing the road. After that, car Did not start back up. Brake engaged. Car wouldn't move. I was stuck. Dashboard lit up with lights (idiot behind me wouldn't go around) so I was trying to get phone out. Didn't capture that. But captured the error above.

Cut the engine, and restarted car, everything worked fine.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure it's all that helpful, but sent you link to video Tech. Pretty much shows me driving, coming to a stop, and not being able to go anywhere after I stopped....Only option I had was cut engine and restart car.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car wouldn't move because the engine wasn't running.

I'd put a starter in it. I've seen a couple recently.
It's going to dealer November 5th, I'll have them check starter. One service Advisor mentioned BMS battery. Think BMS battery may original, but start / stop works fine. So not really sure that's my issue. Car batter was replaced in February.

Starter is probably / most likely original to car. I'd have to ask to verify, but I don't believe I've had it replaced in my 5.5 yrs / 90K of ownership. Car sits on 92K ATM.

What's the life of a Volvo Starter? Car manufactured June 2014. Sold to me June 2016 with 2k miles.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
BMS is Battery Monitor Sensor. That is on the main battery. The BMS cannot cause this.

If you are referring to the start/stop battery, that isn't the cause here either.

I've done a few Drive-E starters the last few months for this same problem. I don't recall their ages. I know one was still under factory warranty though.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMS is Battery Monitor Sensor. That is on the main battery. The BMS cannot cause this.

If you are referring to the start/stop battery, that isn't the cause here either.

I've done a few Drive-E starters the last few months for this same problem. I don't recall their ages. I know one was still under factory warranty though.

Starter is a wear item and wouldn't be covered under 100k cpo, right?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it's covered I believe. Don't think I've done a CPO one yet though.
I sent same video I sent you and image posted here to dealer service advisor.

Will reach out them tomorrow. Imagine if starter it'll get worse not better between now and nov 5th appointment and hopefully dealee will replace.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
The last one I did was easy to replicate. It would start out working fine but after about 7 engagements it would not restart without shutting off the ignition.

I don't know if it slowly got to that point over time or what.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it is the starter I definitely hope it goes within the next eight thousand miles or so left on cpo warranty and not on my dime. Considering you're saying it's a warranty item.

I'll tell dealer I sent them the video tomorrow and image and have them take a peek. Thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: Tech

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
284 Posts
My wife had something similar in a traffic jam. The car was on auto-start and was stopped, when traffic moved it refused to start until she shifted into park and restarted it. It seemed like sitting too long moves it from "ready" to "shut down for good".
16 V60
05 V70

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My wife had something similar in a traffic jam. The car was on auto-start and was stopped, when traffic moved it refused to start until she shifted into park and restarted it. It seemed like sitting too long moves it from "ready" to "shut down for good".
16 V60
05 V70
I would think the battery handling Auto Start / Stop would not engage if charge was low. At least that's the normal warning you get "conditions not met" for it to engage.

In my image, the car is telling me auto start /stop engaged, but press start button because car didn't recover. The car didn't start back up. Brake was enabled and I couldn't move.

I had to push ignition button once. Then hold to restart car.

Meant to ask @Tech, do you think this event would generate a hard code?

I Imagine the dealer (Apparently closed today. Damn Covid Hr changes) will test the starter when I bring it in. But was curious if they can see a log of event?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No it won't set a code. Short of driving it to duplicate it, they can't really test it. The starter will likely pass a regular starter test.
So will this be one of those instances where I will have to likely wait until the problem gets worse before the dealer is able to do anything?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts