SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new here, and new with Volvos. I have a 2004 s60 2.5T with 76k miles.

I recently came across an issue with my car as i was passing someone. At 100% full throttle the car loses a ton of power, and lags so much. Between 4k rpms and red line the motor cuts out as if its misfiring. I recently replaced my spark plugs with new Volvo plugs. I was having previous issues with the car cutting out and dying at start up. The new plugs fixed that issue. When trying to fix THAT issue i was going through all the turbo/intercooler pipes. I took the pipes off, cleaned them, got all new clamps. I removed the throttle body and cleaned that out. I probably went throught that process like 6 times until i replaced the spark plugs and the car stopped dying at start up. But now I have this other issue and its pissing me off. Its a rare occasion for me to go full throttle, so it doesnt effect my daily driving, but its still there at the back of my mind. At 25%, 50%, 75% throttle the car accelerates nice and smooth like a dream. As soon as i step on it full throttle man it goes nuts. It feels like a bad misfire or an air leak somewhere. its bad, i'll be like in 3rd gear, full throttle, stuck at 80mph and the car wont accelerate more or shift in to 4th. it Has this bad lag and motor shakes like its misfiring. As soon as i let off the throttle to 75% the tranny shifts in to 4th and start accelerating normally past 80, gets to 100 no problem. And as soon as i do 100% full throttle at 100mph i get that bad lag, misfire, hesitation whatever the hell it is. And it only happens at full throttle! HEEELLPP!! I read up that the 2004 volvos had an issue with fuel pressure sensors? I read up somewhere a bad fuel filter could be the issue? But i dont know about those, because i had no issue like this until i messed with the turbo hoses and replaced the spark plugs...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would double check the connection where the OTE pipe connects to the turbo. I had mine pop off at WOT after changing the plugs because it wasn't seated properly. The other thing could be the TCV. If it's original it may be time to change it.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge installed? Sounds like no, I'd advise installing, even if temporary, a simple mechanical boost gauge to monitor the engine.

What gap are you running on the plugs?

Might be worth re-tightening the hose clamps after the car has been driven, get them hot and then tighten them down to make sure they are seating fully.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would double check the connection where the OTE pipe connects to the turbo.

The rubber connector btw the turbo and CHARGE AIR PIPE (That's for Justin) can develop a hairline split at this age. One reason they make the silicone aftermarket replacement. But it seems like its being reigned back, so I would lean toward the TCV. (could someone have adjusted the wastegate too low? I am rather undereducated on that and the CBV)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
ok, so new spark plugs fix is temporary, ok, have you inspected the coils in your car. When your car is stall/misfire can you hear any pinging?

·
Registered
51 Posts
had this problem once

my car is a non-turbo but had this problem once before. replaced a coil and ignition control module and it was fine. not sure if this works for you.
I had a turbo 240sx once and had a similar problem, replaced fuel pump, pressure sensor, and filter and it was fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a year later, but I was wondering what the problem was and how it was fixed. Mine is doing the same thing and this is the only post that makes me not feel like I am crazy. I have taken my car to 3 mechanics and all of them say it is fine.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
This sounds like coil packs, a pretty common problem these days, try the IPD HD coils if you decide to replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts