SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this? THe ECU is not responding after an attempted flash update...let me know if you experienced this or heard of it. THanks.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: HELP--Car at dealer now....COMPUTER DEAD, NOT RESPONDING (kipp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>kipp</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have any experience with this? THe ECU is not responding after an attempted flash update...let me know if you experienced this or heard of it. THanks. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>call the dealer... they break it, they fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: HELP--Car at dealer now....COMPUTER DEAD, NOT RESPONDING (kipp)

It's happened to a few cars before . . . ECU just crashes. We even had one crash from a computer virus. Anyways, the ECU usually needed to be replaced. Either that, or the ECU ground wasn't secure.<p>Regardless, <i>we</i> aren't going to be able to help . . . only your retailer is in a position to solve the problem. Besides, your car is still under warranty, no?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
egads....lets they dont find a reason why its not under warranty....31k miles. how long might this take to correct?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (kipp)

Unless you've modified the ECU, there's no reason why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.<p>Timeframe is dependant upon the cause of the problem, and how easily they're able to identify the souce. Typically when an ECU is unresponsive, it can take some time to fault-trace (because the car can't communicate any fault codes to the technician). <p>Psychologically, I'd suggest you prepare yourself for at least a 5 business day layover for your R. Wishing for the best, hopefully they'll remedy the problem sooner.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: HELP--Car at dealer now....COMPUTER DEAD, NOT RESPONDING (R Salesman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>R Salesman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ECU just crashes. We even had one crash from a computer virus. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Do tell. An ECU virus, or in the VIDA rig.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked the car up a couple hours later...all good. They got the ECU to respond and brought it back to life. They said most of the time when this happens you have to replace the ECU. Whew, close call....

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (kipp)

If they had to replace the ECU under warranty it wouldn't have been a big deal. Pull out the old one, put in a new one and sync it to your car. It's no big deal...really. It's a few minute job, assuming they have a spare in-house.<p>-Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts