SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My dad has a 2003 XC70 with over 200k on it. He said he started it up the other day and it was running like crap. poor gas mileage and seemed like it was misfiring. I checked it out and definitely seems like it is misfiring. I hooked it up to VIDA and got a code for no signal from the EVAP purge valve canister and Ambient Temp Sensor. I replaced the evap purge canister with one from a parts car we have, but that didn't fix the issue, still running rough. What else should I try? It isn't throwing any codes for misfiring like it did when I had to replace a coil pack before.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
My recent experience with a sudden occurrence of misfire was exposed wire leading to the coil causing a short and blown fuse. I needed to change two coils (sourced at local jy) and fuse as a result.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
You can try the elimination method: Pull a coil, start it up. Pull another. The cylinder that has no difference in idle either isn't getting spark or fuel.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My recent experience with a sudden occurrence of misfire was exposed wire leading to the coil causing a short and blown fuse. I needed to change two coils (sourced at local jy) and fuse as a result.
This. First thing to do would be to remove the plastic cover on the top of the engine. All 3 wires for one of my coils were completely exposed. I replaced my coils as well for good measure since there were 3 different types installed. And one was in two pieces. But crumbling insulation on the wires under that cover are a known issue on these cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts