SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was driving my 96 850r and said it was running fine. He shut it down and a little while later went back outside and nothing. It turns over and thats it. Nothing happens. It doesnt even sound like its trying to start.<p>I thought maybe it was out of gas but my son said he just put a few gallons in.<p>Just to let you know it has 107,000 miles on it and my brother in law and I have just put on a rebuilt head, belts, pulleys, belt tensioner, radiator, hoses, spark plug wires, distributor etc. and the car had been running great. It even passed a smog check with flying colors.<p>any thoughts. need ideas fast.<p>Thank you

·
Registered
200 Posts
Re: Help '96 850r wont start (silvajac)

Start with the basics...<p>Do you have spark?<br>I always have an old working spark plug. I unplug one of the spark plug wires, plug in old working spark plug, and ground old working spark plug on engine block or sub-frame. <p>Do you have fuel?<br>Check fuel pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail<p>Do you have compression? <p>I have recently learned that some folks have experienced something called "lawn mower syndrome" That is... they back their car out of the garage and park their car out in the street. Their engine never fully warms up. They pull their lawn mower out of the garage and mow their lawn. They attempt to start their car, and the engine just spins. <p>What happens is that some of the valves in the engine stick open -- never reaching full compression. <p>These folks buy one of those old syle oil can squirters, remove all spark plugs, squirt a small amount of engine oil into each of the cylinder, and reinstall plugs. The small amount of oil temporarily raises engine compression, enables the engine to start. Problem solved. <p>However, I would like to think that your problem is ignition or fuel pump related. Check ECU Diagnostic Trouble Codes first. <p>

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help '96 850r wont start (robert213)

how do I Check fuel pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail?<p>Where do I find the ecu codes.<p>Car is outside so will check for spark first thing am<br>

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

could something be wrong with the idle control valve ICV? Is this a round cylinder shaped device under the plastic housing that covers the throtle cable? It keeps humming or with a slight vibration. It stops when unplugged. It did this once before but then stopped. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Last time something like that happened to me, it turned out to be my FUEL PUMP!!(the pump is in the trunk under the spare, I THINK.. Are you still on the original pump? If so it may have died after all those miles; plus I was told if you drive with low fuel repeatedly(over time), it will damage your fuel pump. BUT I would start with the fuel pump relay that's under the hood; i THINK it's the relay thats green, IIRC. GOOD LUCK & post your solution!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Help '96 850r wont start (GT854T5)

I unhooked the battery to see if the ecu would reset and it would start, but no such luck.<p>The Idler control valve hums and vibrates with the key in the on positon and even stays on after I turn the key off for about 30 seconds then there is a clicking noise and it shuts off.<p>With the key in the on position I pressed the relief valve at the end of the fuel injection rail(looks like the valve on tires to put air in them). When I pressed the valve some gas trickled onto my finger is this the normal amount?<p>next Im going to check for spark.<p>Help please. After spending all of my time and money on parts for replacing the head gasket belts and radiator I really want to figure this out and not have to tow it to a shop and start spending more money.<p>Thanks<br>

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

What happens if the idle control valve dosent work properly? would this stop the car from even trying to start?<p>How can I tell if fuel pump is functioning?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>silvajac</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How can I tell if fuel pump is functioning?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Gas came out the shrader valve...believe you have fuel and the pump is working.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Help '96 850r wont start (MadeInJapan)

I seem to be gettting fuel to the injectors so perhaps its a spark problem. Im going to test for it soon. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

no codes. I borrowed an OBDII scanner from a parts store and it passed with no codes showing.<p>battery is low though and engine wont turn over so Im going to charge it and see about the spark.<p>Other ideas

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If your not getting codes look for things outside of OBDII:<p>1. Slipped hose (anywhere between the MAF and the motor on the intake path)<br>2. HVAC problems. Theresa's wagon had a sudden death/no start. Turned out to be a wiring problem with the HVAC that would flip the ECU out. I know this sounds "shadetree mechanicish" but when in doubt, try pulling fuses for some of the essential systems. After 3 months and 3 dealer trips, it was pulling a fuse that found the problem.<p>Doug

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (doug242ti)

Doug <p>I pulled the fuses and looked at them they all looked fine. Are you suggesting pulling fuses for various systems then trying to start the car?<p>This may sound silly but is the MAF located on the large tube comming out of the airbox?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Re: (silvajac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>silvajac</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doug <p>I pulled the fuses and looked at them they all looked fine. Are you suggesting pulling fuses for various systems then trying to start the car?<p>This may sound silly but is the MAF located on the large tube comming out of the airbox?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is the MAF. <p>The only way theresas car would run was with the HVAC fuse out of the car.<p>But odds are, its something like a dead fuel pump, skipped/broken timing belt ect.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (doug242ti)

Thank you Im going to check several things when I get back tomorrow.<p>I do here the fuel pump when I turn the key on but im not sure exactly how much noise it should make. It makes a few sounds then thats it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Heres an update on my car wont start delima.<p>I used an extra sparkplug wire to check for spark. turned the engine over a few times and got a good consistant spark.<p>Next I unhooked the fuel line where it attaches to the injection rail and nothing no gas. I even turned the engine over to see if it would pump any gas out but nothing.<p>So at the suggestion of someone at another board I Pulled the fuel pump relay and used a wire to connect terminals 1 and 3 as this is supposed to close the circuit and force the fuel pump to run even if the car is not turning over. Turned the key on and nothing turned the engine over several times and no fuel pump noise and no gas. tried this several times and I made sure that the wire was connected as best I could still nothing.<p>So my next step tomorrow is to gain access to the fuel pump and check for power if its getting power then Ill replace the pump.<p>Oh I do have gas as the guage moves to the 2 gallon mark and in my experience this means I have about 4 gallons in the tank.<p>any other suggestions.<p>

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
def. sounds like busted pump. good luck!

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Walbro replacement pump kit for $66 from <A HREF="http://www.partsgeek.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.partsgeek.com</A>/ You just change the guts out, so you're not going to be out close to $300 for one from the dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Thanks I ordered the hela fuel pump which is also I believe replaceing the guts and some other parts.<p>Hopefulley this does the trick. <p>I am also picking up a relay just in case. <p>Would codes have shown up if the relay is bad?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I installed the new fuel pump today. I didnt buy the whole assembly I bought the hela brand pump which is a kit where you use the exisitng housing. The problem is the actual pump is a smaller size than the origional bosch. So it comes with a neoporene sleave to help make it fit. Without going into all the details let me just say if the bosch is still the same size it is definately worth the extra money as trying to assemble the hella pump and cut the hose to the right lengtha and getting everything to fit took too many times of assembling and dissasembling the pump into the housing. Again if the bosch is the same size as the origional pay the extra money.<p>At least it appears to have solved my fuel problem as after turning the key on I could hear the fuel getting pumped into the injector rail. I pushed the release valve and gas came shooting out. Unfortunately right after this my battery went dead so I have to wait till tomorrow to see if it starts up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought the aftermarket Bosch for 375$ at Napa. That was a rip off. This was before I found these neat links about Swedespeed and Volvo speed. I got ripped huge. <p>Indeed the aftermarket Bosch is about the same size as the Hela replacement and does come with the neoprene sleeve that comes with the Hela unit.<p>Getting the thing replaced wasn't hard at all however, just had to replace the connector and add a longer hose. The pump works ok just should have bought the Walbro unit. Why? Because the aftermarket unit does not seem to pump at the same rate as the OE unit did. At leaset my car does not seem to run as good as before.<p>How much did you pay for yours?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts