SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 2008 XC90 V6 3.2. The blower motor had gone out so I "ebayed" a new one. I replaced the blower motor and resistor and upon first start she operated normally ( responded to low, high and off). After putting everything back together, I turned off the ignition and pulled out the key but the blower motor stayed on. I then pulled the climate control module and unplugged the green connector on the back, still the blower motor kept a going. I finally got it to shut off by pulling the 30 amp fuse. What the heck did I fudge up? Any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
I think you need a diagnosis using the VIda software and the Dice interface that plugs into the Volvo's maintenance receptacle driver's compartment, down low and to the left IIRC. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you put a bad resistor in. Take you fan back out and reuse your original resistor.
UPDATE: So I receiver a new resistor, swapped it out and now I have now blower action. I put the old resistor back on and get constant action but new one does nothing. Went back to climate control box and unplugged it, still same symptoms.

Premium Member
Did you disconnect the battery while performing surgery?
The thing works from digital signals transmitted via the CCM (Climate Control Module) and sent further along by the CEM (Central Electronics Module) When working on open circuits involving the CANBUS, sometimes the Too Big Brains onboard get addled, so disconnecting the battery before working on electrical is always a good idea.
Whenever weird behaviours show up, a first try should be disconnecting the battery and go have a cup of coffee. Then, switch the key to Position II, and re-connect the battery. That's fixed many an issue, on this forum.
VIDA is factory software (bootlegged) that has the shop manual, parts catalog, electrical wiring diagrams, OBDII connection and diagnosis capability, and a few other parlor tricks. It can be found free or for a small fee here:
Caution: Learning Curve ahead.

Premium Member
An update on my quality eBay blower and "resistor" experience. Installed both about May, and all has been well, until a couple of days ago
After a stop, the AC blower didn't resume operation as it normally does. Cycled the Auto operation a couple of times and tried the fan control knob. Nothing: No blower. Tried different combos when I got home and found that the fan switch would engage the AC clutch, but no fan.
Next day, auto AC and blower came back to the party and has been working correctly ever since, except once when nearing the beach and turning the AC and fan off, the fan started blowing full tilt when I rotated the fan knob towards "Off".
Yes, there's a new fan resistor on it's way from FCP.

Premium Member
UPDATE: So I receiver a new resistor, swapped it out and now I have now blower action. I put the old resistor back on and get constant action but new one does nothing. Went back to climate control box and unplugged it, still same symptoms.
So, what's happened since?

Premium Member
An update on my quality eBay blower and "resistor" experience. Installed both about May, and all has been well, until a couple of days ago
After a stop, the AC blower didn't resume operation as it normally does. Cycled the Auto operation a couple of times and tried the fan control knob. Nothing: No blower. Tried different combos when I got home and found that the fan switch would engage the AC clutch, but no fan.
Next day, auto AC and blower came back to the party and has been working correctly ever since, except once when nearing the beach and turning the AC and fan off, the fan started blowing full tilt when I rotated the fan knob towards "Off".
Yes, there's a new fan resistor on it's way from FCP.
Further update: After working OK since the last post, the resistor completely quit a couple of days later. I received the Mahle resistor from FCP yesterday and pulled the fan and resistor group out again last night. I'm really glad I bought the ball-end Torx-25 after doing the job in April. Not only did it make getting the notorious 5th screw out, it's just plain handy to use. Everywhere you look on these cars there's a T-25. I tested the eBay fan by wiring direct, and all appears well, there, so in went the new resistor. Fan is working again!

Reactions: ChitownV
1 - 10 of 10 Posts