SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, i have a 2005 s60R. I huge volvo fan but dont know to much about them and i bought the car used and am getting 0 boost. I was wondering if anybody may have had some suggestions on things to check because ive hooked up a boost gauge and its ready 0. Ive checked multiple things and am kinda at a loss.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lol...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If what you paid for the car was less than 8k expect to spend the difference to get to 8k for a solid reliable well sorted R.

You need VIDA DICE to diagnose. It's step 0 for every modern Volvo. FYI a generic OBDII reader cannot even read the boost pressure PID from the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^ this

My initial reaction to this was that the boost gauge was not installed properly. If you are, in all reality, getting a true/accurate 0 boost reading then you should experience very very sluggish acceleration and obviously degraded output. Is this the case? If so, then the reply from kTaLgsTo is the place to start, along with VIDA DICE.

I am still suspect this is a troll post...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No troll post. Just young and got a car i didnt kno much about. Sorry to get under the skin of some of you. But thanks to the ones who helped. Ill need to get the vida dice, and go from there it seems.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The lack of boost could be from any number of things, not all of them expensive to fix, especially if it's just a popped hose. The person you want to speak with about VIDA/DICE is TacklaNHL. He's also on the FB P2R owners group as well.

Welcome, and post up pics!!

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Or it’s a Camry...
Seriously- some of these guys seem bigger than their bark but we’re all a friendly (albeit blunt sometimes) group. You won’t find a better resource that is as responsive and populous. Hang around. We’re fun.
The lack of boost could be from any number of things, not all of them expensive to fix, especially if it's just a popped hose. The person you want to speak with about VIDA/DICE is TacklaNHL. He's also on the FB P2R owners group as well.

Welcome, and post up pics!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Or it’s a Camry...
Seriously- some of these guys seem bigger than their bark but we’re all a friendly (albeit blunt sometimes) group. You won’t find a better resource that is as responsive and populous. Hang around. We’re fun.
^ROFL!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Step one - question your assumptions.

Are you sure the boost gauge is working? How?
Are you sure you connected it to a good location for manifold pressure?

These cars don't boost unless the ECM thinks it's necessary, so you won't see anything if you're revving at idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit ass holeish, yes, but fun and good help? Yes i agree totally. Like being the rookie on a new job. Gotta take the bull **** as a new guy to fit in. Lol but, sluggish and lack of power? Totally. It wont go over 90 mph down hill. And its acceleration is trash. But runs and idols like a dream. And the boost gauge is tapped into a good place, and reading, just nothing above 0.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Main reason i came to this group is because southerners or much less people in Georgia rarely have volvos, or kno **** about them. So thanks again everhbody.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
There are SS'ers several in GA. Skywolf is in Atlanta area and is a car freak (does that read clean freak too? LOL).
He's got VIDA/DICE and could help scan it to see why it might be acting up.
Main reason i came to this group is because southerners or much less people in Georgia rarely have volvos, or kno **** about them. So thanks again everhbody.

·
3,899 Posts
A bit ass holeish, yes, but fun and good help? Yes i agree totally. Like being the rookie on a new job. Gotta take the bull **** as a new guy to fit in. Lol but, sluggish and lack of power? Totally. It wont go over 90 mph down hill. And its acceleration is trash. But runs and idols like a dream. And the boost gauge is tapped into a good place, and reading, just nothing above 0.

I like this guy already!

If you're just getting 0 something isn't hooked up right, you have to have some flux with the vacuum, whether it be negative or positive psi. If the needle is stuck at zero it's either not hooked up right or the gauge itself could be broken. Can you borrow another gauge? Post some pictures where you attached to the vacuum line.

You absolutely NEED VIDA or have access to someone who has it. That will tell you whats going on.

Lastly, if you aren't boosting at all have you checked the Wastegate settings?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like this guy already!

If you're just getting 0 something isn't hooked up right, you have to have some flux with the vacuum, whether it be negative or positive psi. If the needle is stuck at zero it's either not hooked up right or the gauge itself could be broken.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Because getting a 0 reading on the gauge doesn't necessarily mean that the caR is making 0 boost. In fact, they are quite different situations/work flows. One being quite easy to fix (re-installing/replacing gauge) VS a series of trouble shooting VIA leak checking.

Unfortunately it seems this lad is actually dealing with both problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhhh. I see. Once i figure out how to post pics, ill be more help. Lmao. Prolly sound like a real dumb ass since the start of this post. But yes, it gets the negative reading, and goes to 0. Just doesnt go above 0. Ill post pics asap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts