SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am a new 960 owner (1997) and love the car and am learning as I go, having spent 30 years working o0n MB, Chrysler and Citroen cars, with some GM diesels as well.

In looking at the car, aftrer baselining it and collecting all info from the dealers where it was serviced, I am asking the Swedespeed community to tell me if there are any necessary Volvo-specific tools to buy/ make.

I have a good set of Snap-On and Stahlwille hand tools and Torx drivers up to T-45.

Am looking to know about specialty tools, especially since I am also interested in buying and wrenching on a 850 as soon as one comes into the area. The 960 will be the church and event car, the 850 the fun car.
When I'm not also driving my Citroen Traction or DS21 sedans.

Would like to know what else I need. I have bought the 5th full size Mercurius 16" alloy wheel and got a tire for it today.

Need to know what else to do. I am used to baselining mb diesels, and even do the citric acid treatments on the cooling system.
Looking forward to Volvos.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
For the most part, there are no special tools needed unless you want to replace suspension bushings individually as opposed to assemblies, or if you need to pull the head, but even them, folks have fabricated their own special tools to get the job done.

I have two of these cars and have been working on them since 1997, so welcome to the club.

DEWFPO
98 S90, 95 964

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the most part, there are no special tools needed unless you want to replace suspension bushings individually as opposed to assemblies, or if you need to pull the head, but even them, folks have fabricated their own special tools to get the job done.

I have two of these cars and have been working on them since 1997, so welcome to the club.

DEWFPO
98 S90, 95 964
Thanks dewfox, since I can/know how to R&R a loot of parts, is it worth it to buy the special tools for the suspension?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks dewfox, since I can/know how to R&R a loot of parts, is it worth it to buy the special tools for the suspension?

I've tried to buy these special tools for the rear suspension and have not been able to find them. Regarding the front suspension, I just replace the entire lower control arms as a unit so no special tools are required.

DEWFPOX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts