SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Just picked up my 2006 S60R yesterday, so I thought I'd come here and meet other fellos.
I traded in my 2004 Subaru STi because I couldn't take the beating anymore from the car doing my 30 mile daily commute, but I do miss the neck breaking accelaration of the Subaru, and so far the R hasn't shown me what its 300HP is capable of. I am sure I still have lots of reading to do to learn to to drive this car properly.

Anyway, just want to say hi to everyone and I welcome any pointers you might be able to give me. The ride in the car is very different from what I had experienced before (93 MR2 Turbo, 2004 STi) so I will have much to learn.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Re: Hello I am new here (mister2cool)

Welcome! This is a great forum, although you may get some ribbing for your name.

The R engine needs about 1200 miles to break in properly (factory says to keep it under 4K RPM during that time).

You will notice it gets quicker after break in. You will also notice that it gets slower as it warms up, which will make you really appreciate winter. The R loves octane, so put in 94 if you have it, 93 if not.

Something to keep in mind, the turbo lag/rubber band acceleration and quiet nature of the R really mask its speed. I remember thinking, gosh, this isn't that fast, until I looked down and realized I was doing 90 mph, not 60.

At any rate, LOTS of information here on the board, as well as a great group of guys (most of the time). Click on my web-site (link in sig) for a list of most of the aftermarket tuners if you are in to that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha.. I had the same problem with my nick back on the STi board. It's a name that's been with me since my MR2 days, hence.. mister2... haha.. oh well.

I kinda moved away from doing aftermarket tunning with the switch to the STi. The idea was to get a car that I didn't have to do anymore work, and in deed it was. So I think I am going to keep the R as it is, at least for a while and just enjoy it.

Does anyone have a set of 17" wheels for sale? I want to get a 2nd set with all season tires for winter. I know it's a little early to be thinking about winter, but I like to plan ahead.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
You'll probably end up getting aftermarket springs...
And an exhaust..and an ECU...and maybe a downpipe!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: Hello I am new here ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
Something to keep in mind, the turbo lag/rubber band acceleration and quiet nature of the R really mask its speed. I remember thinking, gosh, this isn't that fast, until I looked down and realized I was doing 90 mph, not 60.
Very true! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (mister2cool)

Quote, originally posted by mister2cool »
Haha.. I had the same problem with my nick back on the STi board. It's a name that's been with me since my MR2 days, hence.. mister2... haha.. oh well.

I kinda moved away from doing aftermarket tunning with the switch to the STi. The idea was to get a car that I didn't have to do anymore work, and in deed it was. So I think I am going to keep the R as it is, at least for a while and just enjoy it.

Does anyone have a set of 17" wheels for sale? I want to get a 2nd set with all season tires for winter. I know it's a little early to be thinking about winter, but I like to plan ahead.

if you're going with a seperate winter set, i would go with dedicated snow tires, like the wintersport M3s, makes a world of difference in snow compared to all seasons.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Hello I am new here (lvertvel)

Quote, originally posted by lvertvel »
Welcome aboard
. I live five minutes away from the factory where your car has been build
. Which color did you pick?

Magic blue with Sand interior and silver 18" pegs.
After having a double decker wing (The STi) for almost 3 years, I decided to go ultra low profile this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.