SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i been looking to purchase an S60R lately and came across this forum. I am a forum whore as i have owned all kinds of performance vehicles and i belong to at least 10 different car forums. My last few vehicles have been awd (evos and jeep SRT8). Both made crazy power and we all know... power + awd = fun :). Due to my new job being a little far (~80miles round trip) i had to sell the Jeep since 14mpg was not cutting it for me lol...I have always loved the s60r since it came out and i know Volvos are known for their relibilty and safety. I like luxury, comfort, power and awd for winter so the s60r covers them all IMO.

I personally have never owned a volvo but I am looking to get an s60r with the factory body kit ( i think the kit makes the car look sick) 6spd MT but i can settle for an auto since my wife might drive it too. Every car has an achilis heel, so whats the one for s60r?
I keep reading th angle gear(t-case) goes bad easily, is that true?
What are the most common known issues?
Which model year do you guys recommend?
How reliable is the auto trans 5spd and 6spd?
Also keep in mind i am not going to do much to it besides an exhaust and some kind of intake..

Thanks in advance guys
Looking forward to become part of the Volvo communitty and drive one for that matter :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey good luck. I searched for a few weeks before finding exactly what I was looking for.
2 things I learned from the experience:
#1.Don't settle for less than what you want. I wanted an 04 S60 r MT. I bought one
#2. Find someone who knows a lot about Volvos to go look at it and if you have access to a launch obd2 scan tool bring it.
There are codes in other modules that a generic scantool cant read. they only read codes that bring up the CEL light. But we actually found out that on my car the Active Ondemand Coupler(sp?) pump was bad. Found a good used one and installing it on Monday. Till then front wheel drive only.
My best friend is a master volvo tech that now runs his own shop.
You can actually also tell if there are codes in other modules by hitting the rear fog light button and the message button on the end of the turn signal arm. I didn't understand what it all said personally but my friend knew to get the car on a lift and check to see if the rear drive shaft was engaging the differential.

Im teaching my wife to drive stick btw.
Kind of teaching myself too as it has been a few years since I have had the opportunity.

Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks strikeoutss, yeah the 6spd MT is big for me BUT i really really want the version with the body kit. The 6spd MT and the body kit combo seems hard to find for some reason.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Perhaps im still too new to the "r" scene but what does the body kit look like?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah that's factory r kit. Mine is missing the under front bumper splitter pieces. Im going to be looking for a carbon fiber adjustible one to give a little more downforce in the front.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where in Michigan R you?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Erald, I'm in Ann Arbor, welcome to the community!

Just keep looking, you'll find what you are looking for. Took me two and a half months and a trip to Grand Rapids to find my R this summer. 2004, silver over Nordkap 6MT, will turn 80K miles this weekend.

When you do find it, you'll want to put Swedish Engineering in Ann Arbor on speed dial. They have been maintaining my Volvo's for the past 11 years, and I won't take them anywhere else.

Landru
2004 S60R 6MT
1998 V70 GLT
1996 850 GLT
2011 Ford Flex

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Erald, I'm in Ann Arbor, welcome to the community!

Just keep looking, you'll find what you are looking for. Took me two and a half months and a trip to Grand Rapids to find my R this summer. 2004, silver over Nordkap 6MT, will turn 80K miles this weekend.

When you do find it, you'll want to put Swedish Engineering in Ann Arbor on speed dial. They have been maintaining my Volvo's for the past 11 years, and I won't take them anywhere else.

Landru
2004 S60R 6MT
1998 V70 GLT
1996 850 GLT
2011 Ford Flex

AnnArbor my favorite place (i am an UofM alum) :)...yeah a couple of my friends did the calibration on the Volvo S60R race car (the yellow one), they worked for MAHLE at that time. They told me good things about the powertrain on this cars and I am loking forward to owning an s60r soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good luck in your search. I live near Grand Rapids. If you find something up this way you need someone to look at, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts