SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried this on their S80? Thinking about it...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do you have a link? Are you talking about adding extra lights to the front of the S80? If so I personally would avoid it simply because it looks a little poser-ish. I stuck with adding LEDs to the parking lights so they'd be brighter. Adding extra LED lights down in the front never looks OEM and never really adds to the front of a car in my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can add Philips LED DRL onto the chrome fog grill and make it look OEM, I did it to mine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
LED fog-DRL lights

You can add Philips LED DRL onto the chrome fog grill and make it look OEM, I did it to mine.
I'd also like to see a photo and read about how you did this conversion EL008.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Volvo Dealer did it for me, power to the DRL is tapped to ignition so it is on all the time. I sourced the Philips DRL myself after consulting with Heico. I believe this was the best solution after trying and failing to duplicate what Heico did with their S80T6 HPC. Somehow I can't upload any pictures, please send me your email address if you are still interested and I will email you a few pics.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
It turned out much better than I expected as well. i was prepared to buy a new set of fog grills if the installation was a disaster. The Volvo workshop did a good job in cutting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help and the pictures..EL008, that was a good picture but are your LED's lit all the time as well as your Xenon headlights? Think I would want my LED's on when my Xenons were not on like the other member was suggesting with the parking lights unless they offer 2 different power level of brightness when lit. BTW El008 in what country are you located?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am in Australia. My LED is hardwired to ignition, so it is on all the time, with or without the Xenons switched on. There is a supplied relay/harness with the Philips DRL. That harness actually switches off the DRL when your headlights are switched on, just like the current DRL set-up in the C30, S40 and XC90 foglights. I believe the connection is to park lights. I preferred my set-up, it was simpler and less prone to failure. There is only one level of brightness.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's actually not bad looking, but IMHO I wouldn't want it on my car because that would look like a Mercedes copy cat to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Reinnie. .. The HEICO Volvo had the lights first on its version of the S80 before MB ever rolled out a MB with one..

If anything MB copied a Volvo..

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volvo/2007-volvo-s80-by-heico-ar46386.html
Since Volvo never produced a vehicle with the lights and since pretty much no one knows about that one HEICO Volvo, it will come off as a copy cat to the average person.

Granted, the average person probably wouldn't care either or think anything of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily the Volvo world doesn't revolve around what is happening in Wisconsin.. The HEICO Sportiv is available in Europe, USA and Asia and just as AMG produces vehicles for MB.. other entities produce vehicles with the cooperation of Volvo..
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/HEICO-Volvo-S80.html

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Luckily the Volvo world doesn't revolve around what is happening in Wisconsin.. The HEICO Sportiv is available in Europe, USA and Asia and just as AMG produces vehicles for MB.. other entities produce vehicles with the cooperation of Volvo..
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/HEICO-Volvo-S80.html
Oooohhhh, burn! Did that make you feel good? Did you type that thinking "Haha! I'll show him!"?

You can't compare HEICO/Volvo with AMG/MB because MB has acquired AMG. If anything Polestar would be a far better comparison since you can walk into a dealer and get a Volvo with Polestar upgrades that has factory warranty support. The S80 you posted about is a concept vehicle that was created for SEMA, not a production vehicle and was never produced by Volvo (which is exactly what I said). It was probably just an attempt to market the new at the time S80. Please enlighten me on the nearest Volvo dealer I can walk into and purchase the exact same car you posted about.

Regardless of whether someone can contact HEICO and commission the same car the numbers would be so low that it's irrelevant. The entire point is that those strips are associated with MB now (and to an extent, Porsche as well) and that the AVERAGE PERSON will not see it as a copy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I started this THREAD why don't you see your way out of it. I refuse to drop down to your level simple because you haven't been out of the USA to know what is available , nor are you knowledgable about Volvo. Have a Good day. Bye.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Since I started this THREAD why don't you see your way out of it. I refuse to drop down to your level simple because you haven't been out of the USA to know what is available , nor are you knowledgable about Volvo. Have a Good day. Bye.
I will concede the fact that I have not been out of the USA...in the context of studying the buying habits and availability of various Volvo models. I'm usually far more interested in other things than the local specially tuned Volvos. This board however focuses on North America. You only need to look at the regional forums to see that.

If you want to back down from your post by saying you aren't dropping down to my "level" that's fine but it's clear you're simply using that to avoid having to prove me wrong. I'm wrong about various things from time to time and the fun part about message boards like this is that you can learn from others (it even happened in this very thread where I ate my words about the LEDs probably looking terrible and non OEM). Otherwise, you can gather some evidence, provide me with some links, and show me that I'm wrong, that Volvo produces cars with these LEDs in a partnership with HEICO and that enough of these cars exist to show that reinnie is wrong about it looking like Volvo copied Mercedes. That's all I ask.

Edit: Through my own googling around I've found that Volvo has a "Husky" edition of several cars that feature Heico tuning much in the same way that Polestar is offered but this is mostly just a side note since it doesn't really change anything except for the fact that you can, in certain countries, get a Volvo with some Heico tuning from a Volvo dealership. If it only took me a couple of minutes to find that surely you can find the info about the Heico S80 you posted being produced and sold by Volvo in the USA, Europe and Asia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts