SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
When you think about it, Polestar optimisation in the T6 with K16 is at 14.5psi and only getting 242kw / 330hp

Both Heico and TDI box say boost on their tune is set to 18psi.

Without any hardware changes, I fail to see how TDI box can get an additional 40kw / 54hp. Impossible.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but to play the devil's advocate, at least consider the fact that adding boost isn't the only thing that makes more power. Controlling the tapering-off of boost (holding it longer), running more aggressive timing, pushing more or less fuel, narrowing a safety margin to within a short-n-curly's width of detonation, etc...these are some typical ways tuners get more power with a given hardware setup, assuming the turbo and fuel system has a high enough ceiling and the induction and exhaust are adequately free-flowing to make more power than the stock tune allows for. A lot of times turbocharged cars aren't anywhere near their full potential on the factory tunes, and big gains can be had with just a reflash because their stock tunes were super conservative for a variety of reasons (reliability, leaving power on the table for use in heavier or higher-priced applications with the same motor, meeting fuel economy or emissions targets, preserving the transmission, etc.). I'm not sure if this is or isn't one of those situations, but it's worth keeping in mind that the hardware may not be the limiting factor if the software is keeping numbers artificially low. Besides, a 4 psi bump is pretty substantial even without factoring-in timing and fueling changes. Dunno if the car can actually produce those numbers with stock turbo, exhaust, intakes, etc., but hopefully it's not too far off.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Bunn,
You're right on most of what you have written but I'm not new to tuning nor how power is made from boost.
Have a look at what gains other cars are 'apparently' making with this TDI box and you'll see a consistent pattern across all of them. Engines and engine management systems vary greatly, not to mention displacement and turbo size yet all show identical results in gains. What does that tell you.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Bunn,
You're right on most of what you have written but I'm not new to tuning nor how power is made from boost.
Have a look at what gains other cars are 'apparently' making with this TDI box and you'll see a consistent pattern across all of them. Engines and engine management systems vary greatly, not to mention displacement and turbo size yet all show identical results in gains. What does that tell you.
Fair enough, and I certainly didn't mean to infer that you were a tuning nOOb. I probably know a lot less about this platform than you do.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to see more updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks good. Wonder if you will see any gains from it. Does it have a hi-flow cat on it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Things have started to heat up a little.

New Ferrita 3.5" performance downpipe has arrived.
Polestar bi-modal exhaust next.

Just remember the spacer goes "post cat"...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes you do. It goes on the rear o2 sensor - the good news is that is the easier one to get to.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Any updates and/or pics?

·
Registered
312 Posts
any comparison pictures of stock to new pipe?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Allow me to jump in. This is a side by side comparison of my stock 3.0T S60 T6 downpipe with the Ferrita one. The big design improvement seems to be the removal of the close-coupled cat near the flange that connects the dp to the turbo. Not only should that make the dp less restrictive, but it should also help slow moving exhaust flow (at low rpm or steady cruise) accelerate faster at throttle tip-in when you decide to accelerate, which would spool the turbo more quickly. So whether or not it makes peak power, it makes the turbo spool faster for less lag and crisper throttle response. Removing the close coupled cat should also reduce EGTs allowing your car to keep running strong without the ecu having to dial back timing to stave off detonation as tends to happen when EGTs climb. Close coupled cats are good for cold start emissions, but bad for repeatable power due to their tendency to heat up quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Allow me to jump in. This is a side by side comparison of my stock 3.0T S60 T6 downpipe with the Ferrita one. The big design improvement seems to be the removal of the close-coupled cat near the flange that connects the dp to the turbo. Not only should that make the dp less restrictive, but it should also help slow moving exhaust flow (at low rpm or steady cruise) accelerate faster at throttle tip-in when you decide to accelerate, which would spool the turbo more quickly. So whether or not it makes peak power, it makes the turbo spool faster for less lag and crisper throttle response. Removing the close coupled cat should also reduce EGTs allowing your car to keep running strong without the ecu having to dial back timing to stave off detonation as tends to happen when EGTs climb. Close coupled cats are good for cold start emissions, but bad for repeatable power due to their tendency to heat up quickly.
Well said.
Plus the new downpipe is much lighter - almost half the weight as the ugly factory downpipe.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What's your take on the sound and performance? You are running the KPAX exhaust, right? I'm eager to hear your feedback and perhaps an exhaust video.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
What's your take on the sound and performance? You are running the KPAX exhaust, right? I'm eager to hear your feedback and perhaps an exhaust video.
About 25% more turbo spool / intake noise.
Turbo spools quicker and XC is definitely faster.
I did time an impressive low 5 second 0-60 with my OBD gauge tool, fully laden on my way back from work.
Still running factory exhaust. I'm getting the Polestar bi-modal exhaust soon.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very impressive! With all of my mods I am around 5.5 - can't seem to crack that barrier.

41 - 60 of 159 Posts