SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been beating my head against a wall with this lol. I recently found out that Bilstein doesn't offer a rear shock replacement for the AWD. I was gonna run a moderate Eibach drop with the Bilsteins. No go so plan B. I don't want to run coilovers. I'm coming over from the VW scene and I love the low slammed look but hate the ride quality, I'm not a teenager anymore lol. I don't wanna run mismatched components like Eibach/Bilstein front and than use Oem shocks for the rear. Mismatched equipment usually results in crappy end results. So I'm leaning toward the Heico kit with the Bilsteins. (I'm partial to Bilstein because I've run them on other cars with great results). My concerns:

1) will I need spacers to run factory Clavas with the moderate Heico drop?
2) will I need the adjustable rear camber arms with this mild drop to ride correctly?

Need to know for budget reasons. I want to upgrade wheels as next step to black or silver 18" Pegs but their weight is unreal and I really don't like the majority of other offerings besides the HRE's or CCW's. just trying to get all my ducks in a row before buying the kit and realizing I need different wheels or spacers to run the setup. I believe spacers are illegal in my state and I never liked them anyways, I'd rather fill out the wells with a proper offset. Will be getting wheels but probably not at the same exact time as suspension. I need to lessen the wheel well gap and get rid of that super bouncy ride on my worn suspension. Any thoughts? Any advice? Any input from s40 owners with the Heico kit? Any pics of Heico lowered vehicles especially with Pegs? Thanks in advance for any help. I know the whole lowering spring subject has been beat to death lol and there is not much to do except bite the bullet and get coilovers or overpay for Heico or OEM sport springs.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
1) definitely no
2) most probably no

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kova. I love all the info available on SS! You rock. I see all these modded out Volvos on here and I drool lol. I just wanna join the party and hit up some events when my car is a bit more built.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I hate to disagree, but I think you'll likely want to get adjustable arms or else your rear camber will be a bear! I suppose it all depends on what it sits at currently...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am running the Heico kit with Eibach springs and black IPD replica 18" Pegs. Ride quality is great and by great I mean far superior to stock. I used the rear SPC camber kit when I put my springs on. I have read that it is not needed however I believe to get proper alignment they are...I however cannot confirm or deny this because I've never had my lowering springs on without the adjustable camber arms. Pics
....Sorry about the dirty ride :/

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can live with the extra $200 or so dollars for the camber arms. I just didn't want to invest on spacers when I'm gonna pick up some wheels at some point. What would have been nice is if Bilstein made a strut for the AWD. It would have been Eibach and Bilsteins, camber arms, polybushes all around, Elevate torque arm, and upgrades sways. Now, I gotta drop $1700 bucks for the Heico kit when it would have been about $1000 for springs and struts. I had that extra $700 that the Heico kit calls for spent elsewhere lol. What we all need is someone else to partner with a quality suspension company to offer a reasonable and cost effective kit with springs and shocks for awd. I doubt any companies with launch a whole product campaign for a car no longer in production tho. I wish someone could partner with Koni to produce an awd kit with shocks to match that isn't ridiculously expensive. I mean c'mon, four springs and four shocks/struts, we aren't talking rocket science here. Should be no reason that a company couldn't put out a quality kit for us for like $1000 and still make money lol. Makes me wanna start my own company sometimes. I think I could bull**** some suspension company into a deal lmao. I'd like to do the same for a 6 piston bbk with two piece rotors for front and rear with upgraded rear calipers at least to 4 piston, even if we can't enlarge the rotor because of the parking brake issue.

By the way--car looks awesome nkreig! Black is hot! Torturing myself over the black stealth look or the flashier hypersilver lol. I think I saw a guy on here named mm who has the silver ones and they look killer too. I have the flint grey with the black moldings down low, so the black would match, but the silver would look like the oem Clavas almost but on steroids lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I am running the Heico kit with Eibach springs and black IPD replica 18" Pegs. Ride quality is great and by great I mean far superior to stock. I used the rear SPC camber kit when I put my springs on. I have read that it is not needed however I believe to get proper alignment they are...I however cannot confirm or deny this because I've never had my lowering springs on without the adjustable camber arms. ....Sorry about the dirty ride :/
I thought I was seeing my car...with different wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts