SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips?

I'm trying to order fronts and rears. None actually say whether they're for 4C cars or not. Does anyone know which of these work for our cars?

I was thinking part # 8634457 for the front (with iPD HD spring hats) and part # 30666271 for the rear. Makes sense?

Oh, and, to add insult to injury, 4C shocks just went up in price by $25 each :mad:.

EDIT: Do I need these or do the new shocks come with these?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Edit: Sorry... I have to read first, than type.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So,

I am getting shocks/struts. I am trying to find mounts. I already have the iPD spring hats.

Is there anything else I need for this suspension overhaul?
-bumpstops?
-new strut nut?

I just want to be prepared, instead of having the car in the shop waiting for something tiny holding me up.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
VadGTI;1922343[B said:

New struts do not come with spring seats you have to buy them separately.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I just did a suspension overhaul with these parts from FCP Euro, they are aftermarket KYB models but I was happy with their construction and quality:

SM5475 Volvo Suspension Strut Mounting Kit (S60 S80 V70 XC90) - KYB SM5475 (2) @ $63.06 = $126.12

Any equivalent of these should work, there are both more and less expensive versions, I went middle of the road with a well known manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
A lot of parts go into a suspension overhaul not just shocks and mounts.

Endlinks
Lower Control Arms (or Bushings)
Spring Seats
Spring Mounts

just to name a few.

I would look at Tasca Parts catalog and just search for stuff you need under "Suspension" since they have an option to look for just R related parts and usually cheaper then IPD.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of parts go into a suspension overhaul not just shocks and mounts.

Endlinks
Lower Control Arms (or Bushings)
Spring Seats
Spring Mounts

just to name a few.

I would look at Tasca Parts catalog and just search for stuff you need under "Suspension" since they have an option to look for just R related parts and usually cheaper then IPD.
Did the LCAs and bushings already.

Endlinks, are they different for Rs vs. non-Rs?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Which part numbers are you looking for?
Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Anyone have any tips?

I'm trying to order fronts and rears. None actually say whether they're for 4C cars or not. Does anyone know which of these work for our cars?

I was thinking part # 8634457 for the front (with iPD HD spring hats) and part # 30666271 for the rear. Makes sense?

Oh, and, to add insult to injury, 4C shocks just went up in price by $25 each :mad:.

C2501/C1501 are the correct Monroe part numbers for the shocks. Just search for them on RockAuto. Some may be cheaper up front, but ship from the UK so have a higher shipping cost.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Which part numbers are you looking for?
Front:

Rear:
Ok, so this is what I got:

C2501 - 2 of these
C1501 - 2 of these
Spring hats
shock mounts
sway endlinks

So, I have #5:

and #6:

Do I need anything else in that pic? Are the bumpstops, various nuts, etc., wear items? For example, 22, 1, 2, 3 in that pic?

Also, what the hell is 7 and 8? Do I reuse these or need new ones?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am sure that most of us here reuse the bolts, Volvo will tell you to replace them.
If you plan to keep your R around, I would replace (check condition of):
Front:
#7 - Helper spring - 30760914
#9 - Protecting bellows - 30666850

Rear:
#5 - Support plate / bushing - 8646101
#4 - Spring seat - 30748888
#19 - Bump rubber - 8646295

Let me know if you want part numbers for all the bolts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure that most of us here reuse the bolts, Volvo will tell you to replace them.
If you plan to keep your R around, I would replace (check condition of):
Front:
#7 - Helper spring - 30760914
#9 - Protecting bellows - 30666850

Rear:
#5 - Support plate / bushing - 8646101
#4 - Spring seat - 30748888
#19 - Bump rubber - 8646295

Let me know if you want part numbers for all the bolts.
Thanks, I may take you up on that.

What's the helper spring made out of? One side of the car has taken quite a beating (the bearing in the mount is completely gone and I can hear it rattle), so I wonder if the impacts have affected the helper spring.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Helper spring is made out of orange/red rubber. You may be able to see it in the wheel well. It clips into part #8, and it holds the bellow in place.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bolt part numbers.
Front:
#1 - 985660 (1 per side)
#4 - 985868 (3 per side)
#10 - 985660 (2 per side)
#11 - 982870 (2 per side)
#22 - 30760086 (plastic cap that goes over bolt #1)
Rear:
#6 - 985909 (1 per side)
#2 - 989035 (1 per side)
#7 - 985362 (2 per side)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Just a quick revival of this ancient thread for future archive/search clarification.

The factory front strut to body fasteners on the Rs are a combined one-piece lock nut and washer affair.

The service fastener for non-4C P2s is a smaller single fastener 985660. Do not use these.

The service fastener on a 4C-equipped R includes a separate self-locking nut (4) AND washer (4a). I don't know why a different fastener setup is specified, but it is.

So you need both parts 985868 (nut) and 986501 (washer) X6, or you will be short six washers. About $30 retail.

Don't ask how I had to learn this.

I'm sure most folks reuse the "non-reusable" self-locking original fasteners with locktite, but for those of us who go by the book . . .

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Anyone have any tips?

Go with the OEM spring hats I just pulled two off my car completely split after 20k miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.