SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 242 with only 76,000 miles (4-speed - no O/D). The car is in real nice shape I want to keep it that way.<p>Last week I flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat and the hoses. My friend also helped me change the heater core (yikes!!!). When I drive, the temp gauge needle rests between the middle and the high end of "N" regardles of the speed or outside temp. It seems to run just fine - no funny smells or anything like that, although it is hard to get used to the engine "buzzing" at 65 mph! I am not too sure if this is "normal" and whether I need to consider changing out the radiator and/or water pump. <p>Any advice? <p>Thanks in advance.<p>Walt

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Heating Issue (volvo77)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Walt.<p>Before you did all this work on the '77 did the temp gauge act the way it does now? When you first start the car cold where is the temp gauge needle? When you changed the heater core did you remove the instrument cluster? How old is the water pump? Radiator?<p>Engine buzzing at 65mph - because of no OD?<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No change in the temp gauge from when I first purchased the car. The needle starts on the "bottom" of the gauge comes up to temperature. We did remove the cluster - no other way to get to teh core. Actually my friend did most of the work (thanks Ryan), I mainly watched in awe. Age of the pump and radiator is unknown. I assume they are original. However at 32-years of age may need replacing.<p>Walt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thought: would a fan clutch be a possible suspect? It seems to actually run a hair cooler in traffic, i.e., slower sppeds. And yes, that buzz is due to a lack of an OD!!!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (volvo77)

If nothing is leaking coolant and the level of the expansion tank remains uniform at both hot and cold (nearly empty when cold, nearly full when hot) then the cooling system should be OK.<p>What brand and temp rating was on the old and new thermostats?<p><A HREF="http://www.cleanflametrap.com/#links" TARGET="_blank">http://www.cleanflametrap.com/#links</A><p><br>George Dill<p><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by gdill2 at 11:46 AM 5-23-2009</i>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (volvo77)

If you replace the water pump and/or radiator source a 160F thermostat locally and install same unless you plan to take the car outside Salem to a much colder area.<p>If you make more than one change to the car (all three above) at one time and the temp gauge runs coooler and steady you won't be sure which fix fixed but it will be fixed.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Re: Heating Issue (volvo77)

I had similar 'issues' with my 244 & tried flushing, etc....<p>Finally, we put in a 3 row radiator (bolts right in) changed the water pump & thermo & a few hoses & belts to boot & the cooling system is better than ever. BTW, for the cost difference between the stock & 3-row radiator, it was WELL worth it, IMO. <p>Though I do have an OD, we have driven the car in 90 degree temps in stop & go & highway driving w/ the AC full blast, me & 2 teen sons inside with NO cooling issues (but it does get a bit cold inside the cabin after a while & we have to lower the AC!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been looking at the 3-row and appreciate the endorsement! I am not paranoid about it (cooling) but I just want the 77 to last until I have to surrender my license!<p>Thanks to everyone for their responses!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts