SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new T8 Recharge and when I went to turn on the heat for the first time, I was only getting cool air. No heat. The vehicle has 9K mileage and it's the first time I've used the heater since new. Took to dealer and turns out that they needed to replace the HVCH (High Voltage Coolant Heater). Unbelievable considering it's brand new. Very disappointing and hoping not a sign of things to come. Anyway, dealer fixed promptly and I now have heat.

· Registered
XC90 T8
215 Posts
Seems to be happening a lot with the new ones right off the lot (there are at least two other threads about this). Super weird.

· Registered
201 Posts
Very common issue currently (tons of threads on this here). Hopefully the new parts they're using are redesigned.

· Registered
20 Posts
I work for Volvo, and this is a MAJOR ISSUE. It's the HVCH (High Voltage Coolant Heater) and they are on a MASSIVE backorder directly from Sweden. We have about 6 cars at our Dealership right now for the same issue. For customer's experiencing this issue, they can switch out of "pure" mode immediately upon startup and the vehicle will have working heat as a normal gasoline vehicle would. This bypasses the need for the vehicle to use the HVCH to heat the vehicle and forces the vehicle to heat with via the gasoline powered engine. It's a temporary fix until Volvo produces more of the backordered HVCH's.

· Registered
201 Posts
It just sucks that people in colder climates won't be able to use the hybrid/pure function of the car as it's intended.

Do you know if the new parts are redesigned? Clearly whatever they have been using is a flawed design.

· Registered
20 Posts
It just sucks that people in colder climates won't be able to use the hybrid/pure function of the car as it's intended.

Do you know if the new parts are redesigned? Clearly whatever they have been using is a flawed design.
They can still use "pure" mode once the vehicle is heated for "all electric driving", and the vehicle will have heat in "pure" mode once the engine temperature reaches its normal operating temp. The HVCH heats the vehicle when solely in "pure" mode as it doesn't get heat from the gasoline engine like a normal vehicle since it's a mild hybrid.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Yes, Volvo is implementing the heating solution from The Martian - radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG). The half life of decaying plutonium is around 24K years, making it "future proof".

Guitar accessory Flash photography Font Event Music

· Registered
2,003 Posts
It just sucks that people in colder climates temporarily won't be able to use the hybrid/pure function of the car as it's intended.

I added the "temp"
Yeah, that sucks, but at least it isn't like a feature that was assumed to be there and isn't. IMHO, Volvo should comp people with something like the equivalent of a tank a gas a month while waiting for parts.

· Registered
165 Posts
They can still use "pure" mode once the vehicle is heated for "all electric driving", and the vehicle will have heat in "pure" mode once the engine temperature reaches its normal operating temp. The HVCH heats the vehicle when solely in "pure" mode as it doesn't get heat from the gasoline engine like a normal vehicle since it's a mild hybrid.
it doesn’t heat whenever it’s using the battery so Pure or Hybrid. And I’m assuming once you hear the car up using the ICE and then turn it off to Pure/hybrid, it will eventually turn cold because the engine is not producing anymore heat???

· Registered
2,103 Posts
it doesn’t heat whenever it’s using the battery so Pure or Hybrid. And I’m assuming once you hear the car up using the ICE and then turn it off to Pure/hybrid, it will eventually turn cold because the engine is not producing anymore heat???
Yes, it's workaround, not a solution. And, running ICE for numerous short periods (< 10 minutes) will result in severe engine oil fuel dilution, which accelerates engine wear.

Personally, in a cold climate with a broken HVCH, I would run in AWD or POWER mode and enjoy the heat with no risk of fuel dilution.

· Registered
165 Posts
Yes, it's workaround, not a solution. And, running ICE for numerous short periods (< 10 minutes) will result in severe engine oil fuel dilution, which accelerates engine wear.

Personally, in a cold climate with a broken HVCH, I would run in AWD or POWER mode and enjoy the heat with no risk of fuel dilution.
that’s what I did last night for a 30 mile drive, polestar mode. However I must say the last 5 min of it, the front vents were not blowing 75 deg warm air but the 2nd row was which stumped me. The drive home was fine the whole time

· Registered
1 Posts
I suspect Volvo shipped these cars knowing that this was defective. No way all of these cars got through QC without someone testing to see if the HEAT worked. Their supply chain was probably jacked and instead of delaying deliveries, they rolled the dice that they could fix it by winter or that people would be ok to burn gas for heat. I myself am very disappointed in Volvo. I’ve had my 2022 XC90 ER since April and already had two check engine lights/propulsion system services alerts and now a faulty electric heater. Definitely not a car I plan to keep past it’s warranty. Kinda missing my Lexus right now……

· Registered
2022.5 XC90 T8 ER Inscription
105 Posts
I suspect Volvo shipped these cars knowing that this was defective. No way all of these cars got through QC without someone testing to see if the HEAT worked. Their supply chain was probably jacked and instead of delaying deliveries, they rolled the dice that they could fix it by winter or that people would be ok to burn gas for heat. I myself am very disappointed in Volvo. I’ve had my 2022 XC90 ER since April and already had two check engine lights/propulsion system services alerts and now a faulty electric heater. Definitely not a car I plan to keep past it’s warranty. Kinda missing my Lexus right now……
I totally agree. I think the plan was to try to swap defective units out starting in the coolest climates and the supply chain was even worse than Volvo thought it was.

Also, I wish they’d just gone with a heat pump like the full EVs. Now that our heat works our electric range is almost cut in half. Not a big deal since I have L2 charging at home and work and happily will burn a bit more electricity to stay warm, but definitely a very inefficient system.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a brand new T8 Recharge and when I went to turn on the heat for the first time, I was only getting cool air. No heat. The vehicle has 9K mileage and it's the first time I've used the heater since new. Took to dealer and turns out that they needed to replace the HVCH (High Voltage Coolant Heater). Unbelievable considering it's brand new. Very disappointing and hoping not a sign of things to come. Anyway, dealer fixed promptly and I now have heat.
same here. Just konked out on a MY 22.5.

· Registered
165 Posts
im not so sure about that because I got my MY22 in December and it worked flawlessly all last winter but something between March-ish to mid October when I tried to precondition, something went awry. 5 cars came in the same week I brought mine in. I do agree that there is some rather big design and or construction flaw behind it though across a few models

· Registered
1 Posts
Same issue over here from start w a new xc90 recharge.. and no loaners available. Has anyone still not had heat in power mode at any point, including long drives?
As an aside, I wouldn’t be shocked if this whole thing ended in a class action suit. Too many new vehicles w the issue upon first trial of using heat to claim quality control did their job imo

· Registered
29 Posts
XC 60 T8 2022 late model also with a defective heater. Nov 21 at the dealer (Northern VA) to confirm issue and they said that there is no timeline yet for the replacement parts. I did get a $1,000 check from the dealer. They said I was the first owner of their many T8 owners with the issue to ask for compensation.

They also completed the ‘Recall of all Volvo T8s in the USA’ by installing the 2.5 software. It supposedly fixes the ‘Turtle’ issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts