SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 v50- Anyone elses heater core really hot against their leg in the cabin? I am thinking of insulating the plastic. Its pretty hot and when its really hot in traffic etc the inside air temp isn't cool enough.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Are you sure the AC is working or it isn't something else? The heater core is buried pretty deep in there and shouldn't be radiating that much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. pretty sure its the heater core. The ac works okay. The core isn't buried that much really.

Would you say your ac is excellent in your car or just ok?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't remember changing the cabin filter and i saw a video that said the condenser itself can get dirty. I will cautiously try to clean that as well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm not sure how to quantify excellent or okay, but my AC blows a cool 45F steady. I have had to reshim my compressor and recharge after a leak was found though.

Above my heater core, behind the waterfall, gets very hot to the touch. Also around the steering wheel trim gets hot. I attribute it to the electronics. Are you getting heat of those areas instead maybe?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Have you replaced your heater core or had the housing apart recently? When I first replaced my heater core, I didn't get the two halves of the housing together quite right. It was hotter than 40 blazes next to my leg. Even the metal structure under the dash was hot. I had to take it apart again and re-seat the housing and all was good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the heater core must be the source of the heat leak. i did have that section apart to replace the o ring and poke around. i do think its possible the housing isn't perfect but its a large amount of heat dispersed so it doesn't even sound like a small imperfection in the seal would do that. i think i will have to open that up again at least to attempt to insulate the area if not check that housing for problems.

i ask about the ac cause on pretty hot days, 90 degrees or so its sort of not good enough. its still hot as hell in the cabin and i cant help notice the scorching thing on my leg. that's the inception of this inquiry.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
2005 v50- Anyone elses heater core really hot against their leg in the cabin? I am thinking of insulating the plastic. Its pretty hot and when its really hot in traffic etc the inside air temp isn't cool enough.
Im wondering if you have the actual issue or the same as me (OCD with noticing "normal" things). I actually noticed the very same thing good while ago, that plastic under the waterfall and beside my leg is warm in touch regardless of year time, but I checked with friend's car and its the same. To my understanding, heater core always contain warm coolant and to some extension it also warms up the plastic around it (i may be wrong about my assumption though). Its not very hot or anything but noticeably warm. Oh - and I have no issues with heater leak, no problems with AC and climate control works totally OK - I just consider it "thats how it is" and move on.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
the heater core must be the source of the heat leak. i did have that section apart to replace the o ring and poke around. i do think its possible the housing isn't perfect but its a large amount of heat dispersed so it doesn't even sound like a small imperfection in the seal would do that. i think i will have to open that up again at least to attempt to insulate the area if not check that housing for problems.

i ask about the ac cause on pretty hot days, 90 degrees or so its sort of not good enough. its still hot as hell in the cabin and i cant help notice the scorching thing on my leg. that's the inception of this inquiry.
That is exactly what I thought... How much heat could leak out? I even applied some aluminum tape. A little gap makes a huge difference. After I pulled it apart the 2nd time it all fit back together nicely with much less hassle than the 1st time. Make sure you get all the clips in place.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Im wondering if you have the actual issue or the same as me (OCD with noticing "normal" things). I actually noticed the very same thing good while ago, that plastic under the waterfall and beside my leg is warm in touch regardless of year time, but I checked with friend's car and its the same. To my understanding, heater core always contain warm coolant and to some extension it also warms up the plastic around it (i may be wrong about my assumption though). Its not very hot or anything but noticeably warm. Oh - and I have no issues with heater leak, no problems with AC and climate control works totally OK - I just consider it "thats how it is" and move on.
Yes, I believe the heater core always has the hot coolant flowing through. At least on the auto climate, there is a damper that regulates how much air is diverted over the heater core vs the A/C core.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yes, I believe the heater core always has the hot coolant flowing through.
Indeed, it does. There is no heater control valve, only air blend doors.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That is exactly what I thought... How much heat could leak out? I even applied some aluminum tape. A little gap makes a huge difference. After I pulled it apart the 2nd time it all fit back together nicely with much less hassle than the 1st time. Make sure you get all the clips in place.
Not sure what is "appropiate amount" of heat dissipation, tbh. I checked today on the way to work (AC ON, set to AUTO 21deg C) and it was warm to touch behind the waterfall but not as much on side panels. Air coming out of vents was comfortably cool.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
When I had my thermal leak, the metal frame under the driver side dash was burning hot to the touch. After I got the heater core housing on correctly, it made a huge difference. The console gets warm but the A/C is very capable of compensating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts